Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 04:32 PM

peachcrek,

I have to agree with you, now that it has become clearer that it will take many months to get everything up and running, again.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-01-2005, 05:07 PM

I changed our April cruise on The Conquest to The Valor out of Miami. I like the itenary more anyway. They deposited our deposit back into our account and will draw it out again tomorrow.
Glad everyone is getting things done but I SURE would not wait! I needed two balcony rooms with a quad across the hall and there were only two of those on the whole ship.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 09-02-2005, 01:15 AM
http://www.carnival.com has posted an update for the Conquest. All future cruises will depart and return to Galveston on same dates until further notice. Contact them regarding changes or refunds.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:39 AM

I am wondering....

How many folks will cancel their cruise (or change to another port) on the Conquest now that it is going out of Galveston?

I am almost wondering if this is not a good thing - lots of folks will cancel & the ship will be relatively uncrowded?

Will sail & Sign credits be substantial enough to offset additional travel expenses?

(For instance, in our case it requires us to fly instead of drive)
\
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

Sail date: 9 Oct 05
Old 09-02-2005, 05:45 AM

Bob,
Greetings from Jasper, AL!
If you go to Carnivals website, they are saying that we will get a whopping 50 bucks per person shipboard credit. My plane tickets, now that i have no choice but to fly, were 500 bucks. It costs 66 per person round trip to get from Houston Hobby to the port, so i thought at least they would give free transfers. WRONG.

As for people cancelling and the ship being uncrowded, i would think that if enough people cancelled that they would cancel the whole cruise maybe? I dont know.

I do know that 50 bucks doesnt even cover the cost of gas for me to and from the airport here at home, though. I would have been satisfied with 100 bucks apiece, or 50 bucks apiece and free transfers.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:09 AM

I know that's how we felt! $50 won't hardly buy a sweatshirt much less airport changes etc. That's why we opted to change ships.
I have also wondered with Carnival doing deliberations with the goverment to house refugees what ship they would use. Would it be The Conquest since people are changing their cruises??
I would think the ship WOULD be less crowded though!
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 09-02-2005, 01:30 PM

Hi Toni & Jackie - Cyndi too!

Jasper huh? Small world! :-)

Well, our problem is this: The cruise has turned into a mini-family reunion and there are 14 other family members that are already booked on the Conquest as well (AND are flying down from up North...we were the only drivers - and I thought I was being so cleaver being able to save money by driving instead of flying.)

MAN do I wish I had booked flights *yesterday* they were $198 round trip from Huntsville to Houston. Today, however, the same damn ones are now $327!! *sigh*

Also, unlike NOLA - it does not appear that there is much going on in Galveston?! I am too paranoid to fly in on the day of the cruise...so we fly in on Saturday - get a rental car since it looks to be less expensive than a transfer (looks like Enterprise has a office at the cruise terminal) Stay in a local Marriott (nice to have points for a free hotel stay at least!) And....do WHAT on Sat Night??

Anyone have any advice on the galveston area? Like it or not I think we are going on the 9 Oct sailing regardless...our relatives would hunt us down like dogs if we were to cancel out of something we got everyone involved in this Feb...
Old 09-02-2005, 02:16 PM

Bob,
We got transfers from Houston Hobby froma place called galveston limousine service for 50 bucks apiece round trip. Its about 32 bucks cheaper than Carnival's transfers, and i think they will even pick you up on Saturday. Contrary to the name, though, i dont think you ride in an actual limousine, more like a shuttle bus.

We had our travel agent hold 2 seats for us on a Southwest flight while we decided what to do, and boy are we glad we did! I paid 496 for 2 round trips from Birmingham this morning, and now the cheapest thing you can find is 700. We were going to drive to New Orleans as well, but there is no way i wanted to do the 11 hour trek to Galveston, not to mention the lack of hotel rooms.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Well as you can see I have made my changes and we are not going till january 7th, 2006, I do not like not knowing what is going on, the conquest may need to move to another port some where down the line, do not want to chance it, this may be be a temporary home for them for a few months and I always book up to almost a year in advance, and the airline tickets I buy 4 to 5 months out, and with the price of fuel today and the future, god knows what the flights are going to cost and if the conquest and sensation move to another port there are sur charges on changing the tickets again so I just opted to choose another port and transfer over my deposits, so we just wait and see, we were planning a cruise on sensation out of nola in april but that is on the back burner now we have to research, another port now, on the lighter side I thought I would share this Brainiac moment, I had made a hotel reservation at one of the hotels in New orleans for the night before the cruise as I like to be there and not take chances of plane delays bad weather etc. I made the reservations through Hotels.com. So last night I called thier # and talk to customer service rep, told Him I wanted to cancel our reservation, in New orleans he took all the pertinent information then, he asked me a question to which I almost fell over in laughter not to mention shock, I thought maybe he was joking around but he was DEAD serious!! his question was... Why are you cancelling your reservation, I wanted to ask him what planet he was from, but I held back and told him I think New orleans was hit by a Hurricane and nothing is left is that a good enough reason, he replied oh ok, thank you. .............. DUH.......maybe he part of the goverment!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:09 PM
ps to last post I heard today that they will be using the airport tarmats for the surviors as temporary lodging, setting up trailers or tents or something, do not know if it is true I heard it at work today so I guess the airport will not have any commercial planes coming in for a while so I am am going to raise cane about the transfer fee I was charged to change my ticket as the airport will be unatainable for booked flights, so they should not be charging fee for reasignments to other airports any one got any ideas or run into this problem would like to know maybe as a group we could notify someone about it, I believe it is not a fair thing to do

Closed Thread