Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has seen how long it will take to get things going there again?? We sail on the Conquest in April and I am thinking of changing it b/c we were going to spend 3 days there before.
Any thoughts on that?? You think it will be intact by then?
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 08-30-2005, 09:29 AM

No one really knows at this time how long it will take for the port of NOLA to get up and running. I heard this morning that it may take up to a month to get power restored to the residents of the Gulf Coast. The Port of NOLA is a huge port and the loss of that port is a major economic loss to the state, and even the country. They'll be getting the port up as soon as possible, but damage from the hurricane to the entire region will take a long time to recover from.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:20 PM
I to am leaving for nola in January 7 for cruise on january 8 we have hotel reservation on bourbon st for the night before we leave, so we are just going to wait it all out I am sure carnival will post any changes the only thing I am worried about ia our air trans. as I booked our flights last week, so I am hoping all will be well I just seen a newscast with reporter on Canel street and it was pretty dry, it the areas closer to the lake that are suffering, well all our prayers are with nola as I love your city!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 02:33 PM

Hello everybody,

as it is currently still too early to assess the full extent of the damage, I would suggest to wait for a week or two before trying to make alternative arrangements. A general idea as to how long the major part of the necessary repais might take should be more recognizable then.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-30-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by peachcrek:
I just seen a newscast with reporter on Canel street and it was pretty dry, it the areas closer to the lake that are suffering, well all our prayers are with nola as I love your city!!!
Hi Peach,

We are @ 400 MI from NOLA and are getting all sorts of local news + we have some friends who live in the NOLA area.

Bluntly put, it is bad. I am a first time cruiser so I have absolutely no clue what kind of priority the Cruise terminal will have (not to mention the logistics required for resupply & replinishment of the Conquest).

We sail ~~ errr were supposed to sail ~~ on 9 Oct and I honestly do not know at this point if the terminal will be ready by then -- much less the hotel we are (were?) staying at for 3 days prior.

Since this is beyond the realm of most folks experience I am not sure what kind of advice the more experienced folks can offer...would they relocate the Conquest? Apparently that is what they are doing for the Sensation (the SEP cruises are sailing from Galveston)

I can only hope that Carnival gives us ample warning if they relocate the port so we can make travel arrangements.

Man, my heart goes out to the folks who drove to NOLA for las week's cruise...their vehicles are in NOLA and will probably remain there for a while...
Old 08-30-2005, 05:48 PM

I don't know but after I watched CNN tonight I have a feeling they will move it. Not sure where it will be but if its TX we will need to change our ship/port because of distance.

I almost cried watching the newscast and all those people who did not have the money to evacuate. Its so sad and yes we are all praying too!
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 08-30-2005, 06:12 PM

I know- it makes me sick to watch it. I can't imagine that port being up and running again any time soon. Even if the port itself was functioning, what about rental cars? Streets? Highways? The airport? It is so sickening to watch... this is definitely our tsunami. I wonder what I was thinking of booking a cruise for five in hurricane season. We are going to go again next August, but I almost don't want to tempt fate. When you think of all the scheduling, etc., it so much more than simply a travel insurance issue...
Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 AM

I know I feel the same way. My birthday cruise is over Halloween and I almost just want to cancel. We were cruising over spring break 06 out of New Orleans and we decided to change to another port just because the sight seeing etc. will probably not be at the optimum.
They started rationing gas today in our city and it took 8 places before I could get enough to get a half of a tank. Most stations are already sold out.
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 08-31-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by swimmersonboard:
I know I feel the same way. My birthday cruise is over Halloween and I almost just want to cancel. We were cruising over spring break 06 out of New Orleans and we decided to change to another port just because the sight seeing etc. will probably not be at the optimum.
They started rationing gas today in our city and it took 8 places before I could get enough to get a half of a tank. Most stations are already sold out.
Wow it is not that bad here in Huntsville yet...lines yeah but we gassed up Monday so we are good until the weekend - think we will go out EARLY tomorrow before work and see what we can do at Sam's club.

IMHO, NOLA is hosed for the rest of the year - maybe longer - yeah it is that bad according to my sources.

I sure hope Carnival gives us a clue WHERE we will be cruising from on 9 OCT with the Conquest...
Old 08-31-2005, 06:16 PM

I called my travel agent to change my cruise for APRIL out of NOLA and she said she just wasn't sure. It will be interesting to see what they do. I would think they would definitely let those who will be sailing in the next two months from NOLA know soon so they can make plans/ and change plans if need be.
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Nordic Empress 1996

Closed Thread