Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2005, 10:42 AM

I'm trying to find the cheapest way to cruise. Would it be safe just to fly to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami to try to get on a Carnival cruise? If so, how much would I typically be saving? Thanks for anyone's input. It's much appreciated!!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:42 AM

I'm trying to find the cheapest way to cruise. Would it be safe just to fly to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami to try to get on a Carnival cruise? If so, how much would I typically be saving? Thanks for anyone's input. It's much appreciated!!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Banned

Get a job on a cruise ship. You will also get paid.

I guess it is safe to fly. I have not heard of any crashes lately.

You may want to try going ot Porto Rico. One poster said that the locals are getting last minute bargains.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:59 PM

It really depends on where you are flying from. I find that from Cleveland rates are substantially cheaper to fly into Fort Lauderdale, but it has to do with competition from budget airlines. If you are not working with a travel agent then just check the rates at a website like expedia.com or travelocity to get an idea of the savings.

However, the topic of your post is "Are you able to purchase a last minute cruise at the port?" Not since 911 does that happen from a US port.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-07-2005, 06:54 PM

Since 9/11, last minute deals have evaporated. I would try another approach. Find a quality cruise professional, outline your expectations and then let them go to work for you.

Tom
Old 02-07-2005, 09:20 PM

For the cheapest cruise, join the USNavy. All the cruises you want, and get paid for going!

David
Old 02-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Your local Travel Agent will usually get flyers on last minute cruise specials. These are offered to Florida natives all the time. Also check out www.vacationstogo.com . They have last minute cruise specials. A few years back they called me for last minute specials to Hawaii. 10 days for $290.00. The catch was you had to sail in less than 2 weeks. Unfortunatly my husband had just been laid off so the timing was not good financially. Next year they offered me the same special for $395.00 but my husband had just started a new job and did not have vacation time. The following year I was prepared! Had vacation time tentivly planned. Checked airfare...I was ready!! Guess what, no offer! This year I did see substantially lower cruise specials for one of the Hawaiian cruises in Dec. I will be looking for it this year with bags packed!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:59 PM

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Would I be able just to fly to miami or ft. lauderdale with no reservations to a cruise, but just go there and buy a cruise? Will I be getting a good deal or having to pay more??
Old 02-09-2005, 08:12 PM

There is nothing stoping you drom flying to Miamai and buying a cruise. But before yuo can leave on the cruise, expect a wait of at least three days for a federal security check to be completed. So now you have three days in motels, food, expenses, etc., on top of any cruise bargain. You will not get the bargain you hope to, as the best prices now occur 90 days prior to the cruise.

DAVID
Old 02-10-2005, 06:47 AM

Lychee, (dang! that's my favorite Chinese fruit!!!)
I beg to differ with what Nancy and David have posted! YES, you can still purchase cruises on the actual day of departure, at least from Carnival cruises. I did this in December 2004 and again just last week.
I will agree with Tom, though. DO NOT expect to get any standby/last minute rates! Those kind of bargains just cannot be had anymore.
As for the best rates you could possibly get, if you have a close relative/immediate family member who in any way works in the airline/travel/transport industry, including UPS, Fedex etc.......you can get one heck of a deal from most cruise lines! Try $306 for a week to the Mexican Riviera on Carnival (yes that price is for 2 persons AND includes port charges and govt taxes!) Hope the info helps and good luck

Closed Thread

Tags
buying, cruise, cruises, curise, day, florida, fort, lauderdale, miami, min, minute, port, purchase, stand, tickets