Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill SC:
I've said it before, but I don't see why everyone should expect to get something everytime their cruise price fluctuates. You either book early and get the cruise you want with the cabin/deck you want or you wait to see if the cruise goes on sale. Most stores will not let you return the item you bought last week just because there is a sale this week, so cruise lines shouldn't be any different.
In the case of an Early Saver booking rate you do make the sacrifice of the deposit being non-refundable in exchange for the right to take advantage of price drops. It's a give and take type situation.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodney:
Dwayne, you are one lucky cruiser. Is the price for your cruise changing daily? We are not so lucky here from Galveston..seems like they lock on the price knowing Texas cruisers will pay. Maybe mine will drop the closer it gets to the May 1st time.
More astute than lucky.

I am very diligent about checking my rate. The prices are going to fluctuate daily. Mine went up before it went down. Jim is correct that they often drop when getting close in. It also depends on the market and the demand for a particular sailing. Personally, I enjoy playing this Early Saver game with them. And, not to brag, but I'm getting pretty good at it.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
but I don't see why everyone should expect to get something everytime their cruise price fluctuates.
Jill, it's the cruise lines' fault for establishing this practice and turning it into a sport.

Some cruise lines have started making part of the deposit non-refundable, and running sales "for new bookings only" when they're trying to sell cabins close to cruise time. This takes away the advantage from passengers who think to cancel and then rebook at the lower rate.

Another just changed to a policy whereby they'll refund the difference in fare only if the fare goes down within 48 hours of booking.

I suspect when the refunds and OBCs start costing the cruise lines more than sailing with empty cabins, they'll stop dropping fares or will all go to a model similar to the above.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
In the case of an Early Saver booking rate you do make the sacrifice of the deposit being non-refundable in exchange for the right to take advantage of price drops. It's a give and take type situation.
A smart person though is going to take out travel insurance. Therefore; no risk to not getting back their deposit.

Sandy, I totally agree with you. The cruise lines that are the worse for price reductions are the mass market cruise lines. They've made cruises a commodity that can be bartered. I've said for a long time these cruise lines would make more money by setting a price and sticking with it.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 PM

I agree, Galveston prices seem to be higher. My cruise went down 35 days before departure. Oct is usually a really good time to go, at least from Galveston that is!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Dwayne...I stand corrected ....you are an astute cruiser. I guess us redheads are just born to search for a great bargain! I have been watching the rates for my May 1st, 2011, but I know it is way too soon....but I am watching anyway! I figure I'll catch it next year sometime. I got spoiled on my last cruise, when the price went down $90/pp and I also got refunded that dreaded fule surcharge (we fell in that window of refunds). So, wife and I had $230 OBC! WOOHOO!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill SC:
I've said it before, but I don't see why everyone should expect to get something everytime their cruise price fluctuates. You either book early and get the cruise you want with the cabin/deck you want or you wait to see if the cruise goes on sale. Most stores will not let you return the item you bought last week just because there is a sale this week, so cruise lines shouldn't be any different.

Actually Jill, Retail stores do that all the time. If you purchase an item and within a week and some stores up to 30 days it goes on sale they will refund the difference. I've worked at a major big box retailer of sporting goods and we do it all the time for those who ask.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 AM

Hi DixieCruiser and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

I'll be down your way in a few weeks!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwayne:
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney:
Dwayne, you are one lucky cruiser. Is the price for your cruise changing daily? We are not so lucky here from Galveston..seems like they lock on the price knowing Texas cruisers will pay. Maybe mine will drop the closer it gets to the May 1st time.
More astute than lucky.

I am very diligent about checking my rate. The prices are going to fluctuate daily. Mine went up before it went down. Jim is correct that they often drop when getting close in. It also depends on the market and the demand for a particular sailing. Personally, I enjoy playing this Early Saver game with them. And, not to brag, but I'm getting pretty good at it.

Hi Dwayne,

I just read this thread and I am intrigued...

Once you are onboard the ship, and the cruise has commenced, can someone still claim OBC from the price difference? We booked 5 months ago via American Airlines Vacations (I believe they use an Agent) on www.aa.com

We booked a 12/5 cruise and sailing is currently underway. Can we go to the on ship office guest relations and ask for credit? Since sailing is underway, how do we find out the lowest price?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:54 PM

Hi mxp, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

For Early Saver price protection the claim form must be sent in 2 business days prior to the sail date.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, credit, cruise, daily, day, days, fare, final, find, ncl, onboard, payment, price, upgrade, western