Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 AM

I was wondering what is the best method for preventing sea sickness.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 AM

go to your doctor and get a prescription for the trans derm patch. I have used them every cruise and never one bit of sea sickness.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 AM

If you think that seasickness might be an issue, you should consider a stateroom that is midship and on one of the lower decks (riviera-main). If you start feeling queezy on the ship, don't hesitate to pick up some free motion-sickness medicine from the purser or just go to lido and eat some green apples (mother nature's natural motion sickness cure). If that fails, take 6 shots of tequila and forget about everything.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:57 AM

Hi dking67, welcome to Cruise-Chat. There are many methods, as macmom and drlivingston have pointed out. You can also get some ginger candy as another natural remedy. I really wouldn't worry too much, the huge ships of today are quite stable on the water. Hope you have a marvelous cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 AM

I want to add I always go with the patches because I have problems with my inner ear anyway. So I would never try anything else. But some people have no problem without anything. I am just afraid to go without something.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 AM

I don't believe in taking any medications if you don't have to. I would first ask yourself why do you even believe you will have seasickness? Is it just because you are listening to too many outside sources? Too many people assume they will have seasickness. Have you had problems with motion before? Do you have problems even riding in a car, or have you had problems in elevators or on roller coasters? Do you have a medical reason such as inner ear problem? Also comparing a cruise ship to an experience in a small boat on a rocky lake, is not a good comparison.

Today's cruise ships all have stabilizers. There are many remedies to help with motion sickness. If you do have a medical reason for believing you will experience seasickness, then talk to your Doctor about patches, pills, or wrist bands. Other non-medical remedies may be ginger, green apples, and eating crackers or bread.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Taking medications is always a last resort for me, too. I was on one cruise in my life. It was on a 22,000 ton ship. Considerably smaller than the 101,000 ton ship I am going on. I hope that is enough to make the difference. I didn't get "sick" on the cruise I was on, but was qweezy enough to take those sea sick pills from the ship. They didn't help. I think they made me feel worse. Now, it's 20 years later, and the older I get the more motion sickness I feel. I am not as bad as many, but I feel the motion on the train and planes. Fortunately, it's just long enough to keep my mind off of it. A 5 night cruise might be too long to try to keep my mind off of it. I am afraid to go without anything, because I believe if you get sick, it's already too late to prevent it. I don't want to ruin my vacation. Also, we are cruising the east coast to Canada and I heard it's rougher than the Caribbean. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:44 PM

It mostly only effects me on the smaller ships during rough seas. I don't take anything ahead of time other than ginger supplements. The last time was on the Celebration after a storm had went through and stirred the ocean up. I had to go to the Purser's desk for some Meclizine. It hasn't happened when on the Fantasy class ships or larger yet.

Dwayne
Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Administrator

Hi dking67, and welcome to cruise-chat.

Are you going on Carnival Triumph to Halifax and Saint John? We've done that route several times, twice on her sister ships. It's hard to predict the seas in this area. But yes, in general it's not as smooth as the Caribbean (although we've experienced rougher seas in the Caribbean at times), so you're wise to be prepared.

I'd make the green apples and/or ginger tablets your first line of attack. Then, grab a deck chair amidships on Deck 3 (exit through the main lobby) for some fresh air and a look at the horizon. Most pax don't know about this deck and head straight up to the top of the ship. Being closer to the waterline will be more comfortable.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 AM

Yes I am going on the Triumph to Halifax. Thanks for the inside tip on deck 3. I received a script for the patch from the doc and I probably will use this unless I hear a nightmare of side effects. Any input on the patch?

I hear a lot about the green apples. Does the cruise ship usually have these available?

Closed Thread

Tags
apple, carnival, comparison, cruise, ecstasy, green, halifax, motion, paradise, people, remedies, review, reviews, sea, seasick, sick, sickness