Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 08:08 AM

I have taken my children, 17 & 16 out of school many times. More often than not, the teachers always had the same opinion, that the experience was an education. At your childrens ages I wouldnt even give it a second thought. It gets a little dicey in high school, and then you have to really consider if your child can recover from the time, some can, some cant.

Have a great time.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:54 AM

...and we want to keep them in schools because the quality of education is so great in America. At least when one particular social-political agenda isn't being driven into their little heads.

By my standards, "sexually active" does not raise any one to adult status. If that's the case, why couldn't I vote and drive a car at 13?

I believe you learn more valuable life lessons from involved parents than anyone else. I would take the kids on the cruise and not only send them off to do their thing. Make it a quality time and an education, if that is important to you.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 AM

Some of us that must travel on a budget can only go at off times. We are going on a cruise in May only 4 days - The price in May $249 a person - Spring break over $400 a person. She can make up her work - and we can save some money.

Plus, now seeing the ports we have been to means so much to her. It's always alot of fun to see some where you have been on t.v.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:34 AM

With all the holidays they have, just think of it as another holiday. I always take my(now 6)son out for a week in Sept. to cruise. I am not doing it this Sept. coming because I am cruising in August because my wifes birthday is in August. But I must admit I am taking him out March 25, for a week. Have to get away and use our timesharing. I think it's good for the children no matter how they are doing in school, if a week makes a difference in that child learning (college exception) then they better stay healthy(no colds) though all their school years.
Have a safe and fun cruise all!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 07:49 AM

True - I think my daughter has been out sick - more - Then missing a week of travel
Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the opinions and wonderful posts thus far
Old 03-12-2007, 12:39 AM

First of all, Thank all of you for your thoughtful opinions. My wife posted this question. It's a topic that's very important to us.Our kid's education is extremely important to us.My fondest memories as a child was my mother taking us to New York every summer with the club she was in, where we stayed in a hotel on Broadway next to the Tony Awards studio.That has stayed with me all of these years.I wanted to make sure that I could give my sons memories that are just as special to them.My tomorrow is not promised,and I had my kid's alittle late in life.My 9 year old is very bright and while not an "A" roll student, nevertheless a very good student. My 5 year old will start pre-school in Sept.I can only really take off during the time school is in session,however, I'm determined to expand their horizons.Thanks again to you all!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:43 AM

Alias and Simphhcc, Welcome to cruise chat! I appreciate your comments on making memories with your children, they will benefit from the experience, I'm sure of it.

Chef Ken
Old 03-12-2007, 01:58 PM

I say pull em out, you can get the lesson plan and any homework and such, they will be fine. Just let the teacher know whats going on
Old 03-12-2007, 05:51 PM

As a teacher I must rec'd that you give the teacher's enough time to gather work for the student and Ideally have them do most of it Before they leave and turn it In! That helps the teacher out as well. Traveling is very educational for all reason's stated..just be prepared by reading the student hand-book for school policies regarding absences. In high school some districts have students totally lose credit for excessive(more than 9 absences in a semester) for the class and the kids have to repeat it..just a warning

Closed Thread

Tags
benefits, carnival, child, children, cruise, educational, end, fine, keeping, kids, month, oulderhill, pull, school, taking, travel, year