Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 04:03 PM

I am preparing to book several cabins on the Holiday and now am hesitant after reading some November travelers reports, anyone sail in December and what are your thoughts, yes I will be disappointed steve won't be there.

Asking for shipboard credit? How long do you have to watch for discounts? I don't understand that.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:03 PM

I am preparing to book several cabins on the Holiday and now am hesitant after reading some November travelers reports, anyone sail in December and what are your thoughts, yes I will be disappointed steve won't be there.

Asking for shipboard credit? How long do you have to watch for discounts? I don't understand that.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

You have cruised on the Holiday before...I would venture to say that you will have just as good an experience this time as you did the last time.

We have sailed on her many times....the last one being one year ago. It was a :saying goodbye: cruise because we knew she would be going to Spain.

And yes, it was not as good as other cruises we have done on her...but it was still ok.

Yes, there was some rust in the pipes (brown water) for a few seconds. And yes, since the cut backs...there are a few areas where you can tell they are short handed.....

But "for the price"...I believe you will still get your money's worth. As long as your expectations remain reasonable....she is an older ship....as you know.

Do be aware that there is a "rumor" that Carnival no longer gives OBC after the final payment....so you will only have to "watch the price" until your final payment. Any price fall would be reflected in a lowered final payment. No price increases however ..thank goodness....

Personally, my PVP does that for me...woo hoo!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:22 PM

We loved our first sailing, the staff was terrific, the maitr'd was terrific, we even preferred her to the fantasy, guess we were strange that way?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:48 PM

Hi, vicki, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Not at all strange about preferring the Holiday. It is an easy ship to like. Some reviews say she is showing her age more is all. And maybe some of the above excellent staff have moved on. It should still be a great cruise with a great crew.

They were always pretty strict about OBC's after the final payment due date. They just got really lose with them this fall. They don't seem to have an official policy they adhere to, it seems to fluctuate with market conditions. Generally, the price is protected up to the final payment due date. They do give some lee way a few days after even when they are in their strict mode.

This is free advice, so take it for what it's worth. Since you are a past guest I would book the past guest rate and watch it. Or, the resident rate if available. These rates are always lower than the regular rates. Their military rates are the best available of any cruise line.

Now one thing they are really strict about is trying to change the rate category after the final payment due date.

Best wishes with this, and welcome aboard.

Dwayne
Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 PM

Well, I am the guy who left the negative review of the Holiday from a November trip. She is still a beautiful vessel and you should make the trip. I didn't like the current Cruise Director, Torey Secoy, but the Maitre' d's were as good as any that I have sailed with. The Holiday is a nautical version of Audrey Hepburn... She was absolutely stunning when she launched her career. As she aged, you could see the imperfections of time appearing but you could never take away her dignity. Go on the trip and let us read a positive review of your journey.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Doc, that was very well said. And you are not the only one to post a few negative comments. Yours were truthful and not over exaggerated IMHO. The key here is for new Holiday cruisers to know what to expect. If they see a Carnival commercial with all of the new bells and whistles on the ships and expect the same they will surely be disappointed. If I was in driving range I would go tomorrow.

Dwayne
Old 12-16-2008, 05:46 AM

Hi vicki~yng, welcome to Cruise-Chat. We sailed on her in July. She is an old ship and as such is showing her age. We had a wonderful time. I really enjoyed the food, others said it wasn't as good as before. I never had any trouble finding something good to eat. The crew/staff were great. I never saw my cabin steward which was wierd. Normally, they introduce themselves, at least, but the room was cleaned and we lacked for nothing. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. If you have any problems, please address them at the time and don't wait and let them fester. The crew always try to please.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:28 PM

well we are booked, empress deck and looking forward to the trip, I will post an update.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:52 PM

Congratulations!

Looking forward to your updates about this.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
2008, carnival, cruised, mobile, ship