Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 07:15 PM

The peace of mind alone is worth it, IMO.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:23 PM

I remember one of my cruises back in 1988. A guy was sitting around the pool with two legs in cast, one arm in a cast and a beat up face. He had rented a moped in Bahamas and ran into a garbage truck. Hmmmm, I wonder if he had insurance.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Cruise Fanatic, thankfully he was able to get back to the ship in time. Imagine if he hadn't, and did not have travel insurance? That would have been an even more expensive moped ride.

macmom111, I'm with the others who strongly suggest travel insurance. Be sure that it covers trip interruption as well as trip cancellation, and that you purchase it within the time frame to cover pre-existing conditions (of both you and your immediate families).
Old 07-08-2007, 10:29 AM

I have only had the pleasure of going on one cruise so far (planning on going on many more). I would never ever plan one without purchasing trip ins. The reason, I know a young man who went on a cruise and broke his leg and had several serious injuries on one of the islands. He had to stay in a hospital down there for several weeks because his family had to come up with over $10,000 to have him flown back to the U.S. Not trying to scare you, just sharing my opinion.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:32 PM

Were going on a week cruise to Mexican Riviera in October 07 and we got Travel Guard from our travel agent and only spent $158.00 total for the 4 of us. I think it's worth it. You just never know. Debbie

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-31-2007, 06:55 PM

I have to agree with buying the insurance. I had a client who was on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise and on day 7 became seriously ill. He was moved to a hospital in Costa Rica where he stayed for 3 days. On the 4th day he was air ambulanced back to his home hospital. One call to CSA and everything was taken care of. The air portion was close to $13,000.00. I can't imagine trying to pay that myself. Most folks think that the medical insurance they have here in the states will cover things but most do not cover you out of the USA. Travel insurance is like all insurance...you hate to pay for it but are glad to have it if you need it. Don't run the chance....buy insurance.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

I have heard wonderful things about CSA.

My only caution with TravelGuard (although we have used them) is some of the problems that occurred when the Fantasy was hit by a barge in New Orleans.

Several people with TravelGuard were complaining because their expenses were denied.

To break it down:
1. Carnival fully refunded the cruise. So TG rightfully so, did not pay any of that. no problem

2. TG denied any additional expenses like one hotel or meals while trying to get back home...since Carnival let folks stay on the Fantasy that night and fed them for free.

3. TG denied any refund of the airline tickets, because "technically" they were used...just not for the purpose that was intended. Folks got a one day stay in New Orleans instead of the cruise they were flying to. But they did use the tickets and since Carnival paid to have return tickets changed...any airline expense was denied.

I can't speak to how other insurance agencies handled this problem...because TG was the only one talked about. (probably because they are the most popular one used)

So know what your insurance covers before you go.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
IC, I've been busier here at work lately and missed your post. I use CSA Travel Protection, but I'm biased, it's what I offer here. I am also consumer though and have and will continue to use CSA. They've been very great at handling my clients and paying claims. Most here will refer you to www.insuremytrip.com and it is a great place to compare policies and coverages from multiple providers. The only thing about that is, some coverages on there are different than the ones we provide through the agencies. By being able to provide the mass $$$ in volume policies we get different policies I understand. The ones on the website above I understand are a little different. Called "flex plans". The policy I buy/offer is called a Comfort plan. It's affordable 100% coverage, includes pre-existing condition coverage if purchased prior to final payment due date (or at the time of booking if booking a cruise already in penalty).

I know from being here there are other good ones, I just have no first hand experience or knowledge of the others.

Cheers, Neil
Thanks for the link, I took 3 quotes and had a brief live chat. What about the Ins Carnival offers. Is it OK or do all of you that reccommend insurance use outside agencies like CSA and TravelGuard
Old 09-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CruiseDad:

Thanks for the link, I took 3 quotes and had a brief live chat. What about the Ins Carnival offers. Is it OK or do all of you that reccommend insurance use outside agencies like CSA and TravelGuard
Years ago, the "rule" was to never purchase insurance from the cruiseline you were sailing with in case they "went under" (financially , not physically sinking).

However, as we all know, I doubt that Carnival will be closing their doors any time soon.

So (while I have never purchased their insurance) I would consider them in the list if I were looking.

CSA seems to be a popular choice. I have not read one horror story about them. But I am no expert by any means.

I don't consider the TG reports to be "horror stories" ... just disappointing decisions. It could well be that all the insurance companies responded the same way.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:35 AM

Way back in the dinosaur days, when we were young we never bothered with either the insurance or the ship excursions. Now that we are older but not necessarily wiser, we do get the insurance and ship excursions. Luckily we have never had to use the insurance but it is worth having it just for the peace of mind.
The ship excursions we did have an occasion to be happy we had it. Our group was about 10 minutes late and the ship was waiting for us.
Better safe than sorry.
Sherry

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
chat, cruise, insurance, live, opinion, reviews