Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 06:11 AM

we are on the legend sept 21st. I was looking at the route and it appears we come close to cuba, will we see the shoreline? just wondering thought it might be intresting.
also has anyone ever seen whales while cruising the carribean, that would be cool too.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Administrator

You aren't going to see many whales in the Caribbean. In September whales are generally in the northern waters. Even in winter the Caribbean is not a popular destination for whales.

As to Cuba - you don't get close enough to see shoreline. 12 miles is the territorial water claim for Cuba. If it is clear you can sometimes see the island silhouette against the horizon, sort of like seeing a mountain range from a distance. Granted that all the cruise ships in the Caribbean are flagged in countries which recognize Cuba, as opposed to U.S. flagged ships, but Cuba doesn't like anyone getting too close. If cruise ships started running closer to shore, it would cause an increase in attempts to escape.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 AM

thanks Dave, I dont want to get too close to Cuba but I will look for it in the distance.
I did a search and the internet said there are 13 species of whales in the gulf of mexico, course they could be 2 ft long for all I know. But I was wondering if we had a chance of seeing one.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Oh for sure, whales are in the Gulf but just not a lot of them as compared to other waters. Most are probably dolphin sized although the odd great whale can make an appearance.

When I was in the Navy, a cruiser I was on would periodically attract pods of dolphins - probably from our sonar - and they'd run along side of us for a bit. That was interesting.

I was digging around in my old cruise junk and have another correction - we did get within 7 or 8 miles of Cuba at least once, and maybe it is routinely done.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:51 AM

we were on the Holiday one yr and we were on the top deck (we had our clothes on) and a pod of dophins were jumping in the waves of the ship. they "chased" us for about 15 mins, that was really cool...
Old 08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
this is interesting;

Here on Puerto Rico we get AM radio stations from Cuba our sister island,
during night sometimes depending on the hour and the climate, maybe is a good idea to bring an AM-FM hand radio on your cruise
That way you will get a little taste of what is cuba
I now it will be in spanish but, like I say, is like been there.
for my next cruise I will bring one
who knos what kind of info I can get in open sea...
Old 08-02-2008, 05:26 PM

We were close enough to Cuba to see the lighthouse on the western coast (Inspiration out of Tampa).

But on the USS Groves I got a good view of Havana through the ships "big eyes".

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 PM

You should take some binoculars. I always take mine just in case. I used to work at an oceanfront bar, and I would see dolphins in the mornings. A nice way to start the day.

Dwayne
Old 08-03-2008, 05:25 AM

I always take my beknocks just in case there is something to see. never used them but maybe just, maybe they will come in handy this cruise.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 PM

When we were on the Valor's Western Caribbean cruise in 2006, we could see Cuba in the distance. At one point, two helicopters flew out over the ship. We figured they were checking us out.

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Closed Thread

Tags
amfm, caribbean, carnival, close, cruise, cuba, dolphins, power, prong, radio, receive, ship, stations, strip, work