Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 12:02 PM

We are going to Calica port in November and want to just have a beach day. Can anyone please tell us your recommendations for which beach to go to and/or what resort? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

The easiest is to go to the Xcaret park which is adjacent to the pier - but you can't walk to it. Buses run back and forth all day from the ship to the resort.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Administrator

I failed to mention Xel-Ha which is a bit south of the pier - around 25 miles I think. Beautiful place. Xcaret is pretty too, although I think people go a bit overboard in their praise of the place. There is a public beach on Playa del Carmen - the closest town - but it isn't anything spectacular and not especially clean.

Xcaret has a nice beach on a small inlet, among all it's other attractions. Please note that while they take dollars you often get your change in pesos.

For perspective, Calica is just the name of the industrial pier used by the ship. It is literally in the middle of nowhere and it is primarily used by cargo ships. They will have taxis, buses, and a tent city of souvenir vendors set up, but nothing else.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Banned

Be aware that "sometimes" (if there is another ship at the Calica port) .... you actually tender into Playa Del Carman.

IF you are lucky enough got that to happen....you literally tender into the downtown area and right to Senor Frogs with beaches on both sides of the pier.

The only two times we have been to Calica...we actually tendered into Playa.

You can also take a $10 taxi ride from the dock into Playa. (one way)
Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Administrator

I've been lucky I guess. I hate tendering and every time I've been there we got the dock.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:45 PM

We loved Xcaret when we were there last summer....I thought the underground river sounded really great (although, I was afraid the water would be too cold and wouldn't go) But I'm going to next time...2 of the teens with us went and said it was great. And you only notice the cold water for a few minutes then you get used to it...

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-08-2009, 03:38 PM

Thanks for recommendations, I really appreciate it. For taxi, will they take US dollars? Also, about how far is it from dock to 5th Avenue. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Administrator

The taxis take U.S. dollars. Playa is just 4 miles or so away from the dock. The stated fare for 4 passengers was 80 pesos last time I was there - about $10 if you include tip. Make sure you agree on a price before entering the cab. Playa Del Carmen is a small town. 5th Avenue is blocked to traffic so you have to walk to it. Just get out of the taxi at their stopping point and you'll pretty much be just a few steps away.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, beaches, buses, calica, carmen, carnival, close, del, pier, playa, port, public, running, taxi, transportation