Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Hello fellow Cruisers,

We are leaving the 27th from the port of Miami to go to Key West, and then on to Calica and back to Miami on the 3lst of Aug.(Ship: Fascination) I was wondering if anyone had any information on this particular cruise. MY HUSBAND IS SAYING HE WON'T GO NOW AND WANTS TO CANCEL, MAYBE GET A PARTIAL CREDIT OR SOMETHING......NOT SURE HOW THAT WORKS???? We have cruised with Carnival 4 other times, but never during Hurricane Season, so we are in the dark about all this. (I get EXTREAMLY Sea-Sick and if there are any effects left over from Dean, it would not be good for me to go -- I'd spend all my time in bed -- hubby says it would be useless to go because of all the devistation on the islands there. There would be nothing to go see or nothing to do.) Just wondering if anyone has any information, tips, or stories from their own experiences. Anything you guys can and will share will help us decide what to do. As of now my husband has made up his mind we are not going. I'm not so sure he is making the right decision! I'd like to do a little "investigating" first. Thanks, and have a good day,

Hope

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Hi, Hope. Carnival has not yet announced anything on next week's cruises as it's too soon to make any decisions. Keep checking for their official word HERE.

In the meantime, do not cancel your cruise. For one thing, you will not get a partial refund. Second, if a port has sustained too much damage and is unsafe to visit as a result, your ship will not go there. Either another port will be substituted (as has happened to us a couple of times) or you will have an extra day at sea. Finally, let your husband know that there will still be plenty to do, both on and off ship. I wouldn't be making any rash, and costly, decisions at this point.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned about the weather, unless another storm is born. I'm afraid you would loose your payment if you canceled, unless there was another storm. I'd call your travel agent or Carnival to confirm any refund policy. It's well known that June through November is hurricane season. This just might have some bearing on refunds. I'll be heading for my cruise on Sept 2nd. If your so prone to sea sickness I'd recommend looking into wearing the patch behind your ear. My wife wouldn't sail without them. Please, Let us all know what your final decision is. Good luck.

Sonny
Old 08-19-2007, 03:50 PM

I'm with Lisa on this one. Not only will you loose cruise fare but also any arifares will be non-refundable this close to your travel date. Storms are part of life and they're going to happen from time to time. You've never heard of a cruise ship being caught up in a hurricane and never will. The ships can cruise at approx twice the speed of hurrican across the water and they have radar and other technology to keep abreast of the storm(s). Go have a great vacation and if hubby is too affraid to go tell him to Butch up Sally, or leave him home and take a girlfriend. It's only a $50. name change fee to replace him.

Cheers, Neil
Old 08-19-2007, 05:50 PM

Hi Lisa and TrvlPro,
We're still sailing on Liberty Sept. 1. This is our first Sept. sailing but we always sail in Oct. which is still the "season". They will substitute a port and take care of the passengers...so Sail on!!!
13 days til we be cruisin'
Sovereign of the Seas 3/04
Radiance of the Seas 11/03
Majesty of the Seas 5/03
Adventure of the Seas 10/02
Majesty of the Seas 6/02
Sovereign of the Seas 11/01
Explorer of the Seas 10/01
Carnival Paradise 10/00
Carnival Fantasy 1/98 ~ New cruisers are Born!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Just to chime in and (agree) with everyone. With Hope's cruise date, as Sonny noted unless another storm develops it should be calm sailing by then. Calica would be the only port that could suffer damage and can easily be substituted. The cancellation policy is 50% today, 7 days or less will be 100%.

I would not cancel and instead start packing for a great cruise.

Dwayne
Old 08-19-2007, 07:36 PM

I am also cruising on the fascination on the 27th. Most likely we will be rerouted to Nassau like the one that sails tomorow. Seeing that Dean is supposed to be a catagory 5 hurricane by time it hits Calica there may not be a port to stop at. Cozmel was devistated after katrina and it was only a catagory 3 and took over a yea to rebuild the port completly. We'll see what happens, and hope for the best. There is a bunch of people on cuisecritic.com who are planning a sail away party afte the muster drill if you want to join on check it out. The posts are under carnival roll calls and then under our ship.

- Kelly
Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 PM

I'm on board with everyone else on this too. GO on the cruise! Those ships will not sail into anything dangerous and have ample forecasts to avoid anything that would compromise your safety. As for ship stability, waters are typically smooth as glass after a major storm. Even the wind has to rest sometime!

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 PM

If you cancel the cruise, you will regret that decision. The post-hurricane weather is usually very nice and the seas calm down very quickly. Your cruise should be very comfortable.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 PM

Hi - I agree with everyone. I would still go on the cruise. My hubby and I was on the NCL Dream when we were faced with Hurricane Wilma right in our path towards Roatan, Honduras & Belize City, Belize back in late October 2005. We didn't make either place (or Cozumel) and not only gained one extra day out at sea but spent 2 days in Veracruz, Mexico. Regardless of what happened (plus engine trouble), our motto was "WHO CARES AS LONG AS WE'RE NOT AT WORK!!!" and managed to have a great time anyway! The ship didn't put us in harm's way and was very prepared for any turn of events weather-wise, although they should've picked a much better place than Veracruz. Go on the cruise, have a great time and remember - God watches over everybody!

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, comedian, cruise, dean, fantasy, gaines, gains, ship