Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 03:35 PM

First cruise and was wondering where do you put your passport and stuff when on say a snorkel excursion as i assume you need it get off and on in different ports thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM

I never take my passport with me into port...but depending on where you go most places have lockers you can rent..
Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Hi diver57, and welcome to cruise-chat.com.

I agree with macmom111 that you should not bring your passport onboard off the ship. While it's true you may need a photo ID, you can use a driver's license for that. Some pax put these items, including the cruise card, in a ziploc bag and secure it in a zippered pocket of their swim suits. There are also water wallets you can buy for this purpose.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM

I think Lisa meant you shouldn't take your passport offboard in any of the ports of call. You will need your passport to get onboard the ship when you check in for your cruise on the first day.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Yes... that's what I meant. I'll edit it to avoid confusion later on. (Thanks, Cruise Fanatic!)

LisaP
Old 09-08-2008, 07:04 AM

Hi diver57, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

All Carnival ships have in cabin safes. That is where I put my valuables. I only take off the ship what is necessary. The 2 items needed for re-boarding are your ID and Sail & Sign card. Instead of my entire wallet, I only take those 2 items, some cash and a credit card.

You can get a variety of water proof wallets and other things to protect them. It really depends where I'm snorkeling. Some places have lockers as macmom noted. Some others, I don't worry too much.

I wouldn't take a lot of flashy things to draw attention. Besides, they get the Barracuda's attention too. Both in the water and on shore.

Dwayne
Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 PM

thanks for the info diver
Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 PM

We use the safe. I also take my camera with me. I do not always carry it with me on ship. I have never had any problems leaving thing in my cabin.
I have read a few horror stories, but we have had nothing missing. I even leave a little spare changes and ones laying around.. no problems.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
Hi diver57, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

All Carnival ships have in cabin safes. ...
Dwayne
There are lots of good suggestions on the use of the safe on this site. Do a search. I think one of the most useful thoughts on the safe is to not use the sail and sign card as it can mess it up. Anything with a bar code will work, it needs the exact same card to open as it was closed with. My wife and I use an old membership card and then leave it in the room in an non obvious spot. That way if we are not together either of us can access the safe.

I leave everything in the safe and carry a small wallet with S&S, 1 credit card, Driver Licence and a few bucks when I go ashore.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Anything with a bar code will work, it needs the exact same card to open as it was closed with.
CruiseDad, Just a minor correction so we don't confuse anyone. It is any card with a magnetic strip.

I have never had anything taken either. I had misplaced a gold ring once. It must have fallen under the bed or something. I didn't mention it to the steward. I came back from dinner and it was sitting on the bathroom vanity on a tissue.

Some ports I don't worry as much as others about leaving things while snorkeling. It is always good to be cautious in places you are not familiar with. When on St. John and snorkeling at Trunk Bay, I just leave everything beside the lifeguard stand. I wouldn't do that on any other beach though.

Dwayne

Closed Thread