Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 04:18 AM

I hear the cruise lines are going to soon have cell phone use on the ships. This is great news for me! I'm one who likes to keep in touch with the family back home, and not pay mega bucks for it!! In this world of high technology, this should have happened a long time ago. Of course, it should be like the theatre....turn the volume off in the dining rooms and shows!! Come on people...we are on vacation!!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:35 AM

They never said anything about "not paying mega bucks for it". Probably the reason it has not happened sooner is that there was no $$ in it for the cruise lines. I'm sure they found some way of getting a cut from the usage.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 AM

I'm sure that there is going to be a COST for cell phones - "just like checking your e-mails
Old 09-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Actually I am one of many who lamented the cell phone access on ships. It is a shame that we now can't get away from having people with cellphones welded to their ears in the middle of the Caribbean. I'm convinced many people talk on cellphones just for the sake of talking!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:47 AM

I'm 100% with you Dave. And I am partly responsible for this I design the cell equipment that makes this possible. They are a great tool, but people need to learn to respect others (like THAT is ever going to happen) and not talk on them when it could disturbe others.

Maybe that is the bigger reason the lines have not offered cell coverage on the ships yet (the techology to do so has been availble since at least 1998) They don't want cell phones ringing in the shows or in the dinning room because they know people won't have the brains to slience their ringers.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

Old 09-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Jim,

Yes indeed, they are a great tool. In fact I just got an LG Chocolate for myself and also have a work-issued cellphone. I probably average 10 minutes a month. I just don't understand what everyone has to talk about all the time. Can you hear the conversation from the buffet? "Hi Honey. I am at the buffet for lunch. Let's see - they have roast beef carved to order, fried shrimp, etc. What do you think I should get? Okay. I'll call you back when I get my first plate finished and we can go over the dessert choices. And don't forget that I'll call you from the dining room tonight and let you talk to my waiter! I just know he is looking forward to talking to you! This is sort of like you taking the cruise with us!"

Damn. Gimme another beer, bartender!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:20 AM

Dave, you are too funny!! But, unfortunately, you are probably right! It is crazy that people can't go to the bathroom without their phone...but there are also those of us who have elderly family, and children at home that we just need to check in on. Our last cruise ended with us learning that we had an unexpected death while we were on the ship. I guess I just need to stay in touch....for a little more peace of mind.

I'm sure the cruise lines will get their $$ out of it somehow....I doubt those "free network" calls will somehow "not apply" on the ship!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Cell phones are a peeve of mine - or should I say the rampant and irresponsible use of them. I swear, I think people will sit at home all day with a landline phone at their disposal and will wait until they get in the car before they start calling people. It's like they put together three lists - one for the grocery store, another list of who they need to call while driving to the store, and then who to talk to while pushing the cart down the aisles. I wonder how much stuff they fail to buy because they were lost in their wonderous conversations?

Excuse the rant! I understand people have valid needs for using a cell phone on a vacation. But just like booze and boiled shrimp, you've got to know your limitations.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:04 PM

There's limits to booze and boiled shrimp?? Say it isn't so!

Its not so much the constant talking that cracks me up, its the fact that they act like no one else can hear the conversation. Or the ones who use the earpeice. There use to be a time when if you saw someone walking down the street holding a conversation with themselves you would assume they just escaped the hospital...

Unfortunately, I fear you have nailed the exact reason cell phones should not be allowed on a cruise. But you forgot the converstaions in the shows. RING RING "Hello.. Yes we are in the show... WHAT! I can't hear you ... oh.. we are down by the stage on the left side... NO, THE LEFT SIDE... BYE. RING RING... HELLO! NO, you may NOT got to the buffet... bye...

Old 09-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Oh yes, those with the bluetooth earpiece are the real champions - or should I say "chump"ions? They miss out on nothing, no matter how inconsequential it may be. In some way, I think many cell phone addicts are really control freaks who cannot stand to be out of contact for a moment.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cell, cruise, dream, forum, magic, phone, phones, review, ship, usage