Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 10:12 AM

Looking for advice. My partner and I just did a 4 day cruise on Paradise out of Long Beach. The food was more than adequate, facilities well maintained and all of the ship staff were wonderful. What we didn't like was the Las Vegas-mall atmosphere, constant blinking lights, bingo announcements and non-stop sensory assault. For our next cruise, we'd like something more relaxing and sophisticated. We like to dress for dinner and are also interested in a boat with good gym facilities. I'm wondering if a 6 day cruise on the Oosterdam would be the thing? Thanks-Bill
Old 01-31-2005, 10:12 AM

Looking for advice. My partner and I just did a 4 day cruise on Paradise out of Long Beach. The food was more than adequate, facilities well maintained and all of the ship staff were wonderful. What we didn't like was the Las Vegas-mall atmosphere, constant blinking lights, bingo announcements and non-stop sensory assault. For our next cruise, we'd like something more relaxing and sophisticated. We like to dress for dinner and are also interested in a boat with good gym facilities. I'm wondering if a 6 day cruise on the Oosterdam would be the thing? Thanks-Bill
Old 01-31-2005, 10:57 AM

Bill
Holland America will more than fit your needs, glamourous but not as flashy. However, I suggest you check out Costa Cruises, an italian cruise line owned by Carnival. The Europeans are more health concious, and the ships will be more to your liking, I assume. And less children, also.

Hope this helps.

David
Old 01-31-2005, 11:51 AM

Just my opinion...for what it's worth: I don't think that Costa comes close to Holland America! The Oosterdam is lovely, the food is excellent, the entertainment is top-notch, the service is divine!

My very first cruise was on Costa, and while we enjoyed the cruise, it did not hold a candle to what we experienced on HAL. JMHO, as I said.

Shirley Binder
Old 01-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned

I would like to through Celebrity into the mix. They have been rated #1 ,3 years running give them a try and I think you will enjoy it very much. Since Holland went to the automatic gratuity we find that thier service has really suffered. We have been on the Paradise as well and I don't think that you will find the service any better on Holland.We did Holland pre auto gratuity and after. There was a tremendous difference. Just my opinion.
Tom
Old 01-31-2005, 01:21 PM

The environment you are describing would fit the environment on the premium lines; Holland America, Celebrity and Oceania. All three are great, but I would agree with Thomas Stanton that you should take a look at Celebrity, as well.

Tom
Old 01-31-2005, 04:32 PM

Bill,
I am afraid I do not share the same opinion of Costa as David. This past year I sailed on the Costa Med, and although I had a wonderful time, relaxed and sophisticated was definitely not how I would define my cruise. It is very high energy with lots of activity and all the glitz it sounds like you are trying to avoid.

You did not mention your age range, but that would be a serious factor in recommending HAL. Understated and sophisticated, it is, but draws a much older crowd. As the previous posters suggested, don't discount Celebrity or Oceania in your search.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-31-2005, 05:01 PM

I believe that is what makes us all individuals. We all have an opinion,nad are entitled to it. I liked Costa gym, and dressing for dinner, plus the lack of children. A little flashy, but to find the absolute perfect cruise ship is next to impossible.

David
Old 02-01-2005, 05:01 AM

David,
Don't get me wrong. I, too, enjoy dressing for dinner and had a great time on my Costa cruise. But, Bill mentioned what he was looking for was something more relaxing and what he didn't like about the Paradise was the Las Vegas mall atmosphere, bingo announcements, sensory overload, etc. Well, those very qualities are a Costa experience. Let's face it. It's pretty hard to get away from the bingo sessions done in 5 languages poolside (actually I found this interesting as I can now count in 5 languages, but certainly not relaxing) and the Animation Team dedicated to getting everybody up and involved in activities. And as for decor - well, with Farcus' hand in the design - sensory overload is a given. However, as you say, differing opinions is what makes life interesting.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-01-2005, 05:16 AM

Nancy
You are right. I am not a pool/sun person, so I normally don't spend time on deck. Food is my favorite part of a cruise (just ask Tom) (no, please don't ask Tom) I prefer older ships, European atmosphere.

David

Closed Thread

Tags
america, binder, carnival, cruise, cruises, farcus, holland, line, oosterdam, powered, reviews, shirley, thelasvegasmallcom, vbulletin, versus, vs