Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2004, 08:37 AM

Thanks Rigid, that makes sense. One other question; When we booked on the Miracle, we went with the guaranteed oceanview room, with upgrade eligibility. I asked what are the chances of an upgrade actually occurring, and the rep told us she believes it occurs, on average, about 80% of the time. That sounded a little too good to be true, but we are cruise virgins. Any comments/experiences on this anyone?

Miracle
Old 10-20-2004, 08:37 AM

Thanks Rigid, that makes sense. One other question; When we booked on the Miracle, we went with the guaranteed oceanview room, with upgrade eligibility. I asked what are the chances of an upgrade actually occurring, and the rep told us she believes it occurs, on average, about 80% of the time. That sounded a little too good to be true, but we are cruise virgins. Any comments/experiences on this anyone?

Miracle
Old 10-20-2004, 02:19 PM

I think it depends on your definition of an upgrade. Technically, it probably does occur quite often, from the cruise line's point of view. When you booked your guaranteed oceanview, you probably booked the lowest - or near the lowest- category of oceanview cabin. Categories are determined by location on the ship, as well as on other criteria (especially on older ships, cabin size and layout can vary). The earlier you booked your cruise, the better chance you have of being upgraded to a higher category of oceanview cabin - perhaps a higher deck, or more toward the middle of the ship.

However, if you are thinking an upgrade means oceanview to balcony, or inside to oceanview, you will probably be disappointed, as this kind of upgrade occurs much less frequently.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:40 AM
Banned

My aunt's neighbor's niece's brother in law's uncle booked a inside and got upgraded to the presidential penthouse suite. I think people have been hearing this urban legend for years and they all want to get this upgrade. DOESN'T HAPPEN!!!!

Karen's post is exactly what we have experienced about upgrades. Upgrades are mostly a marketing ploy to help sell, and fill the rooms. Any upgrade we got was just a different deck or location. If you get something different feel lucky and enjoy, but do not count on going from inside to outside etc. Think about this. I want to be inside because I want privacy and the room to be dark. They "upgrade" me to ouside. I would not be happy.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:28 AM

DuluthEast83,

I have to agree with Karen and RIDGID. If you're looking for additional information on upgrades, make sure to read this excellent article.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 11-17-2004, 05:19 PM

I have received upgrades in the past (and already have one for my January cruise) but they have always been just a higher deck. (Well, once I got a porthole from an inside.) But, never an inside to a balcony, etc.
Fascination 10/04
Holiday 10/03
Old 11-18-2004, 09:24 PM

I have heard of it. never experianced it. I have always went from a 1A to 6A or 6D
Ecstasy ~ 04/03
Norwegian Sky ~ 09/03
Splendour of the Seas ~ 04/04
Rhapsody of the Seas ~ 10/04

Countdown to the Carnival Conquest
Old 11-29-2004, 11:57 AM

I assumed nothing as nice as an upgrade from OV to a cabin with a balcony, butlers and musicians wouldn't occur, but I appreciate all of your input verifying that that doesn't happen very often at all.

Assuming there is an (or any) upgrade, when do you normally find out about it? When you make your final payment, dockside, in one of the thousands of e-mails that I am receiving from CCL?

Thanks again, and sorry to keep this going, this will be my last question on this topic....

Miracle
Old 11-30-2004, 06:16 AM
Banned

From my experience the cabin number in my cruise package was the one I have ended up with. You can also check on Carvival's web site to see what cabin you have. Think about this: the cruise lines are not going to keep changing rooms with about 20 ships and 2000 passengers per ship that leave every week. It would be a nightmare.

Good luck
Old 12-25-2004, 10:45 PM

I can't speak from personal experience (my family has always been fortunate enough to book the best room available anyways), but I have heard about "upgrades" from many people over the years. The general rule regarding upgrades is that they are always inside -to-inside (from one inside room to a better located one) or outside-to-outside (again a better location). I've never heard of anyone switching to a balcony room without shelling something out... unless of course you dont count the small fee for winning the penthouse suite at bingo (if it is still available)

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, guaranteed, miracle, norwegian, occur, oceanview, room, sky, upgrade, upgrades