Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 04:40 AM

has any1 else noticed that all (a few) of the newer ships look very much alike? everything is in the exact same place with just a different theme. i mean of course they are beautiful, but to me it makes it seem like "once you've seen one you've seen em all" (and im referring to the new carnival ships cuz i havent been on any other one in 2 years so for all i know rccl's ships could be starting to looking alike too)
Old 07-05-2006, 04:47 AM

Robyn,

virtually all major cruise lines have large series of sister ships. As an example, Royal Caribbean has five "Voyager"-class ships (with the new "Freedom"-class being very similar) and NCL already has four ships based on the "Norwegian Star" with another two on order. It's much cheaper to build several ships based on the same design than to build individual ships. I'm not a friend of this myself, but I have to admit that this is one reason why today cruising is a vacation for the average "you and me" and not only for rich people.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 07-05-2006, 06:21 PM

I see you're point. We would probably have to pay a lot more if they put it more details. But even though they all look alike, i still love em. i was made to cruise lol
Old 07-10-2006, 04:01 AM

Yes they have many Sister Ships, and Classes of Ships. I may get some latter ones wrong but here is a brief history.

Mardi Gras was bought as first ship and refurbished.

Carnivale was the second ship bought and reburbished.

Festivale was the third ship bought and refurbished.

Tropicale was the first ship Carnival built and was one of a kind.

Jubilee, Holiday, and Celebration were then built and are all Sister ships.

Fantasy was built, and has by far the most Sister Ships. Not in particular order. Ecstasy, Elation, Sensation, Fascination, Inspiration, Paradise, Imagination.

Destiny was built.

Triumph and Victory were built and are Sisters but are closely like Destiny.

Spirit was built and is Sister to Pride, Legend and Miracle.

Conquest was built and is Sister to Glory, Valor and Liberty.

The Freedom is under construction as a new Ship Class.

Hope this helps also and I at least got most of it right. Best to you, IslandCruz
Old 07-10-2006, 04:45 AM

Also I forgot, just because the Ships are structurally the same does not make them the same. Even the Fantasy Class ships all have a different theme and feel to them. I actually like them on a less than 7 day cruise because I know the layout and don't have to spend my time being lost. And is fun as they re-do them, a few years ago they totally re-did the Fantasy promenade deck, and was interesting to see the changes, and remember what use to be there.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:31 AM

Me and my wife have been on 2 cruises with Carnival. One on the Conquest and one on the Valor. The themes were much different but your right the layout was exactly the same. Everything was in the same spot and it kinda took the fun out of the cruise just a little bit. It didn't feel like something new and exciting having said that though I loved both cruises and can't wait to go again. I plan on going on a cruise every year until I can go no more and I'm only 26!!! We are going to set our tax return aside each year so we can spoil ourselves.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Banned

I did not know the Freedom was a new class of ship. I thought it was just another Conquest class. See, even old dogs can learn something new!! Thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:12 AM

Anyone know when the Freedom is supposed to be launched? And where it is to be cruise to/from?

Just curious...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Is Carnival promoting the Freedom as a different class of ship? Looking at the Carnival website I see no significant differences between the Freedom and the Conquest. Same size. Same layout for the most part.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:02 AM

Dave,

no, they don't promote her as a different class of ship. She will be very similar to the "Carnival Conquest" with the changes being smaller than those between "Carnival Destiny" and "Carnival Triumph". "Carnival Splendor" will be yet another different evolution of the "Conquest"-class, being a near-sister to Costa Crociere's recently launched "Costa Concordia". And there have been reports that the 130,000 gt vessel ordered by Carnival several months ago is also based on the "Destiny"- / "Conquest"-class, even though Carnival does promote that ship as a "completely new class".

Raoul Fiebig

Closed Thread

Tags
alike, boats, carnival, carnivals, cruise, ships