Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 06:16 PM

I hear that floridians get resident rates on cruises.....do NYers get better rates going out from NYC ports too????
Old 02-28-2007, 08:24 PM

Not every sailing has resident specials. It is not just for Floridians. Depending on how well the sailing is selling they might offer a resident special rate. I have seen resident specials offered to atleast half the states on one sailing.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:37 AM
Banned

Trese... You HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING! This is New York. Land of the Free.... home of the TAXED. You can't pee in this town without a fee being charged. We are not offered any special rates just for being New Yorkers. As a matter of fact, we have looked into going out of our terminal, and every time, it's been higher than every other port. It's always been cheaper for us to fly somewhere else and cruise out of there. We have even worked with a travel agent thinking that she knows the ins and outs. The travel agent stated to us that the port fees in NY are among the highest that the cruise companies pay. We had thought that we could leave our car in Westchester County and take the Metro in. It's still unGodly expensive. Lucky you. I'm jealous!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:37 AM

LMAO Andrealovescruisin,
Aint that the truth!!! Silly me, i should know after being a NYer all my life that we DO get it from all sides!!!! I got a good price last Sept out of NY, during hurricane season, for $818pp balcony. I'm paying $1079pp Balcony for the same exact cruise out of NY, with only one exception, Its on the Miracle instead of the Legend. How stupid am i??? But i hate to fly so we're gonna drive in and park.....I'm way upstate, an hour north of Albany.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

Trese.... We're practically neighbors ! I live a half hour west of Albany. We're in the country on 5 acres and we love it. I have heard from some people that they drive down to Westchester or Harriman(exit 17 on the Thruway) and leave their car in the lot and take the metro into Grand Central and then cab it over to the terminal. It seems to work out great for them. We have also heard of shuttles that leave Albany International Airport. Also, some people have done limos(gets pretty expensive). I'm sure you can even drive as far as Newburgh and take a shuttle in.
What have you heard about the new Brooklyn Terminal? They say it's a lot more user-friendly than the Manhattan Terminal on the West Side.
Whenever we go to the city, we've taken the West Side Hwy. in and many times the cruise ships are disembarking and it's complete chaos. I'm surprised no one has ever been killed. You've got cabs doing 50 mph, crazy NYC drivers, pedestrians everywhere with luggage, rollerbladers, bicylists, joggers, street vendors.
My husband I would love to be able to cruise out of NY. It would be so easy, not to mention pretty awesome seeing Lady Liberty and the NY skyline leaving the harbor. We have just never gotten a worthwhile price. Oh well, you know our state motto, "I LOVE NY" !
Old 03-14-2007, 05:20 PM

Andrealovescruisin,
We are almost neighbors!!!! Small World huh??
We took a shuttle last time we went to the Manhatten terminal. It wasnt too bad so we are going to drive and park there. its kind of expensive ($24) per day but the shuttle was WAY too much this trip. Last time there was 20 of us so we all split the cost ($60pp) the same service quoted us $897 round trip for 4 of us...thats INSANE...and i think i'll drive!!! LOL.. I've never been to the Brooklyn terminal but Its great sailing past lady Liberty and seeing the Manhatten skyline. Can you believe i've lived in NY all my life (43yrs) and last Sept was the first time i've been to the city?? This will be #2 for me. Last time we sailed out of NYC, we didnt even get back off the ship. I think if we get there early enough, we may just walk around a bit and sightsee. It would be nice to actually SEE the city once.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Banned

Trese,
Make sure you get your parking quotes for the Manhattan Terminal in writing. I have heard some stories that people get quoted one price and when they receive their vehicle back, it's another. Good ole' NY for you. Wow... there is so much to do in NYC. We go down a lot. My husband is in the film/video business so we are always down there for a convention, a meeting or a shoot. I like to go down and see the plays on Broadway. I do love it. But, only in small doses. I can't wait to get back to our home and the peace and quiet. It is really nuts with the people and traffic in the city. We have never cruised from NY but we have done the World Yacht dinner cruise which has taken us past the Statue, Ellis Island and the Brooklyn Bridge. That leaves out of the same area as the cruise ships. The World Yacht also offers an delicious, beautiful Sunday Brunch with Jazz music. Something to keep in mind. It's true what they say about living your whole life and not seeing what's in your own backyard. I just got to see Niagara Falls for the first time 4 years ago (I was 40). No one could believe it took me so long. That was an awesome sight! Let me know how it works out for you driving down and the parking at the terminal. I am very interested. And, yes, do get to the city early and walk a bit. It is an amazing place. Have fun. I'm sure we'll talk again!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:51 AM

andrealovescruisin, thanks for the advise. I know what you mean about your own backyard thing. we went to Niagra falls a few years back, for the first time as well. It is beautiful....i couldnt believe how clean and clear the water is. very pretty. We cruise out in 41 days...i cant wait. I'll post back and let you know everything. TRESE
Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 PM

we drove to NYC this past weekend just to see the terminal again. I made sure i looked at where you go to park and it looks very easy. Last time i was there, we were on the back of a bus and couldnt see where the ramp was to self park. But, its right there as you pull into the terminal. I'm glad we made the trip, it was a beautiful day for a ride anyway!!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

Trese, I am very curious to hear about your cruise on Miracle when you arrive back home. Where are you cruising to on Miracle? I'm assuming it's going to be pretty chilly pulling out of Manhattan this time of year. It certainly would be a lot easier for our family of 4 if we could avoid flying. Flying is what kills the trip. Have a safe, fun cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, ny, rates, resident