Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 AM

many thanks to all forum members beeing so nice and answering our questions
our cruise is planned for the 1st weekend in oct 2008. it is our 1st cruise, and we're taking our 4 kids (8-15).
we thought we chose triomph going west (cuzumel, caymen, ocho) but now our criuse agent suggested taking the glory from port canaveral. it has 4 port days (cuzumel, belize,roatan,freeport).
1. opinions about the ports for the kids?
2. how is port canaveral as a starting point? we will have to drive the same morning from miami- on the map it looks ok. when we're back we will continue to orlando.
3. how is the ship- is there a real differance between them?
thank you again
j and the gang
Old 04-05-2008, 06:16 PM

The cruise you planned on the Triumph sounds like a good idea for your family. That was one of my favorite iteneraries of all my cruises I've taken. Your cruise agent probably suggested the other cruise because it's probably more expensive. The Glory is newer and a little bigger than the Triumph but for your first cruise you should just try the Triumph. You don't want to miss Grand Cayman, it's beautiful and a great place for snorkeling with the sting ray.

Question 1. I don't have any kids but my niece and 2 nephews loved snorkeling with the sting ray in Grand Caymen.

Question 3. Again the Triumph isn't as new as Glory or as large but is just as much fun and probably cheaper. The only thing I don't like about the Triumph is no refridgerators are in balcony rooms. But since this is your first cruise you are probably not trying a balcony. On my first cruise I stayed on the Riviera, bottom floor, and it is still my favorite cruise out of 29 cruises I've taken from Carnival.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I cruised on both the Triumph and the Glory.

I liked the cruise on the Glory better.

The Glory is slightly larger the Triumph. The Glory weighs 110K tons; while the Triumph weighs an even 100K tons.

I think the slightly larger size is due to the Glory having a 5-star "Supper-Club" restaurant called the "Emerald Room". It is located upstairs from the Lido buffet called the
"Red Sail Restaurant". They also had a less formal fish-n-chips restaurant up there near the Emerald Room. The Triumph had neither restaurant. I did not go to either restaurant, so I can't tell if they were any good.

But other than that, the Triumph felt identical to the Glory. I went on the Triumph one year after the Glory, and I felt like I was on the same ship. Although, I missed my chance to go to the Supper Club restaurant on the Glory and was dissappointed that the Triumph did not have one.

As for the differences in the ports.. I don't think there was much difference. Except, Miami is a much larger and busier cruise port. And it is more expensive to park your car for one week in the Port of Miami. $20 PER NIGHT!!!! Port Canaveral wasn't cheap either at $12 per night (back in 2006). The wait in line to check-in and board the ship was about the same at both ports. At the Port Canaveral the security was strict about not allowing any photography inside the building during check-in. And I regreted that because it was a beautiful building inside. In Miami, everyone was snapping away with their cameras inside the building and the security didn't care.

I hope this was some help. Have a nice cruise
Old 04-06-2008, 02:16 AM

the agent is ok- the both cruises cost nearly the same, it is more a matter of timetable.

thank you for your datailed answers
Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 AM

I am probably going on the Glory the 4th or 18th, same itinerary. Went on this same route last year on Legend, though it included Grand Cayman. We missed GC due to weather, and it was pouring the rain at Roatan, so we stayed on the ship.

The timing and price are perfect so far, and we can drive. I just wish they would not have changed Glory's route.

Dwayne
Old 04-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Banned

For your family, the ports on the Triumph are much better.

On Grand Cayman, do the stingray and snorkel. On Cozumel, go to Chankanab beach and hang around and snorkel. At Ocho, hire Phil Lafayette for a personl tour and have him show you the island, the rainforest, and take you to a local jerk stand.

Belize, and roatan, and freeport are not the best ports.

Sodey
Old 04-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jamjam:
many thanks to all forum members beeing so nice and answering our questions
our cruise is planned for the 1st weekend in oct 2008. it is our 1st cruise, and we're taking our 4 kids (8-15).
we thought we chose triomph going west (cuzumel, caymen, ocho) but now our criuse agent suggested taking the glory from port canaveral. it has 4 port days (cuzumel, belize,roatan,freeport).
1. opinions about the ports for the kids?
2. how is port canaveral as a starting point? we will have to drive the same morning from miami- on the map it looks ok. when we're back we will continue to orlando.
3. how is the ship- is there a real differance between them?
thank you again
j and the gang
jamjam,
I liked both ships. The Triumph has a magic show, Kevin and caruso that is spectacular and funny and uses the Triumph dancers to add some pizzaz. It is really good. The Glory has a show called Glory Days with some old time music, meaning Ike and Tina Turner, and Nancy Sinatra stuff. They dress like the celebrities and do a close up show min the aft longe. "Nancy Sinatra" will walk all over some lucky guy in the audience, and the background singers will pull cruisers up to dance. Lots of fun. You won't go wrong on either ship. Have a blast.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 AM

Our family has cruised the Glory on the Eastern Carib. and thought it was a great ship. We are cruising on the Glory again in June doing the Western Carib. We have been to Belize before on another cruise and thought it was beautiful...great snorkeling and pyramids. We also took our children and they LOVED it. We are looking forward to going back and this time we're bringing one of the children's friends and my mom. My kids are also excited about Honduras. We are going to Fins and Flippers for the day, and from what we hear it is lovely with great snorkeling. Freeport is not a great stop but, worth going to, nice beach, dolphin encounters and some good shopping. We think Port Canaveral was wonderful--easy in and easy out. Also, Cocoa Beach is beautiful,and hotel rates are reasonable--I would think Miami would be much more congested. Look at the excursion choices for both ships and then make your choice. My teens didn't like the slightly "Americanized" feel of the ports in Grand Cayman and Coz (we've done both)--don't get me wrong, they are (nice people, blue water, great food, etc etc)--they just like the feel of "totally getting away" and Honduras and Belize offer that type experience. So, it's a pretty personal decision...Either way--it should be a great vacation
Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 AM

...and I forgot the most important thing: our TA suggested the Glory for this cruise because they were offering upgrades! We are now on the Lido Deck in a balcony. I've read that the noise level isn't bad there and noted on the ship's deck plan that we have cabins below and above our's--should be really nice location.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:48 AM

It would boil down to an extra sea day vs. an extra port. Belize has some wonderful snorkeling as does Roatan. Grand Cayman is good snorkeling and the kids would love Stingray City. Ocho Rios you have Dunn's River Falls. Freeport is a good beach day. Cozumel is on both itineraries. The ships won't be much different. Do you want an extra sea day or an extra port? If you live in Miami, then Miami would be easier for you to get to. Parking will be more expensive in Miami. You said you would be going on to Orlando. Port Canaveral is closer to Orlando. You'd have a great time on either ship. Best wishes!

Closed Thread

Tags
bigger, glory, triump