Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I will never return to Jamacia. We did Dunn River Falls and the scenery was fablous and the James Bond history interesting. But we had been treated to a Ships VIP pass for the tour. The tour guides treated us like garbage, I can only assume because we had not paid for our tour. When we got to the falls, which should have been included, they insisted we pay extra for it. I was afraid the tour bus would leave us there. Never Jamacia again unless something changes.

I fear for my daughter whenever they port in Jamacia. She stays with a group of other crew members and they don't go far. Good day to rehearse the shows if you ask me.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Synopsis of the story - family goes on plantation tour in Jamaica. While out in a field two armed men jump from the bushes and rob and threaten everyone. Men then vanish back into the bush. Stunned tourists return to the ship. They get interviewed by Jamaican police. They get some counseling from a Carnival-provided therapist. They claim Carnival then distanced themself from doing further counseling once the family returned home.

It is worth noting that a posse of citizens and the Jamaican police searched for the robbers and found purses, credit cards, and other items but not the men.....until later that night when one of the men was killed in a shootout with police. So I'd say that while this is terrible, the local authorities didn't shirk their duty and are to be commended.

This event occurred at Mo Bay.
well put Dave, most of the home ports here in the U.S. where these ships sail from are in areas of the cities that this could happen anyday. Always be aware of your surrondings, you are on vacation, you have cash and electronics and because you pass through metal detectors, theives know you are unarmed. The theif is this story only wanted vaulables from a easy target. Jamacia is a great place, but like Miami, Florida or Miami, Oklahoma, they are bad people everywhere...
Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
I believe if any port becomes a major safety issue that the cruise lines would pull out of that port such as they did with St Croix several years ago. Everyone should take safety precautions by not wearing flashy jewelry and carrying large amounts of cash, don't wander off to secluded areas, and travel in pairs.
Not to change direction, Cruise Fanatic made an excellent point. I just want to elaborate on the incident concerning St. Croix a U.S. port.

Some Carnival crew went off to play basketball as I remember it. They were robbed and beaten if I recall correctly. Bob pulled the port he was so PO'd. And said to the effect, Carnival will not port a ship until this is fixed.

And that was again a U.S. port. It is a different world down there. Some beautiful places, but you have to watch yourself.

Jamaica is one of the most beautiful islands I have ever seen. But do I feel comfortable there as someone should on vacation? No.

My sincerest hope it gets better.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM
I don’t know what happen with the link maybe Ebay decided that’s not something worth to bid or it has to be something about bad publicity of carnival Cruise lines,
That is not a good business decision…

QUESTION:

I know this will sound strange, since I am from Puerto Rico,
But I have never been in the Dominican Republic
As you can see on the carnival website the Carnival Destiny will change its itinerary next year and will be at Dominican Republic from 3:00 pm Friday until 5:00 pm on Saturday.
My wife and I are looking to book our anniversary cruise for next year
With the carnival Destiny
But we are afraid things have gone out of hand
Like the case of Jamaica.
I don’t know anyone that had been on “La Romana” but as the news goes here in the newspapers there are some troublesome rumors about people stealing passports and even USA citizens that can’t travel back to PR because, after they “lost” their passport, they don’t believe they are from PR and have to stay in Domican Republic for years before going back

Have any of you known anything about this port of call???

Please any help will be great
Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 PM

Casanova,
The DR has become more and more popular for the last ten years. There are four major cities where tourist have been going to all-inclusive resorts. Punta Cana being the most popular. LaRomana is approximately 37 miles from Punta Cana. Look here
Old 07-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
It is truly an unfortunate incident, and one that can happen anywhere. Spritfilled, don't let this change your mind, Jamaica is a beautiful island. It is a poor island and tourism is their major source of income. Just be careful, as you would in any big city. Stay with a group, my advice would be an excursion through the ship. It is ashame that their own people don't realize they are biting the hand that feeds them. Thankfully, no one was harmed during the incident. I honestly believe their police force will tighten up security even more, they rely on the tourist dollar. Their island has so much to offer, as well as the majority of their people. Too bad a few have to spoil it for the many.
Penny3333, according to the original post this WAS one of the ship's excursions.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 AM
I guess my question is why are the cruise lines docking there if passengers lives are possibly put in danger I mean many people may not even here of this incident but they choose this location as thier destination I would think passengers lives are more important than an excursion, put another destination on the ports of call and kick Jamaica to the curb ....so to speak, I mean we chose it before I read this and now I am afraid because if these people don't like us then maybe we shouldn't be there. Yes there is danger right here in my own town but I know I am not in danger because I don't belong here and what not. I don't know I guess I can't imagine a 10 year old child having to go through something like this on vacation and yes the cruise line ....IMO should boycott the island. Enough said again this is IMO.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-31-2007, 07:14 AM

plus

equals robert staying on the boat... period
Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Banned

From now on, I will be the one sitting in the lounger next to you, dr, sipping my cool drink, overlooking and admiring Jamaica from afar.

A'ndrea
Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 AM

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
attacked, bad, carnival, carnivalcruise, cruise, dangerous, excursion, imagination, jamacia, jamaica, line, review, reviews, story, tourism, tourists