Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Good point about the HAL age limit thread. Does anyone think HAL would have backed down and let the young couple cruise if an agent wasn't there to act as an advocate (in other words, the agent pestered the hell out of them and knew which strings to pull)?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Dave, your point is well taken. Even so, I'm really shocked that it got resolved even with an agent advocate. Cruiselines don't typically make exceptions to their written policies, even when its the right thing to do. It sets a precedent for future disputes and opens them up to liability for selective enforcement and discriminaton charges. Its such a shame that common sense is not always the over-riding factor in such issues. Some lawyer now has a csae of an exception to their written policy now to hang over their head if some other young people are denied boarding for scamming the rule instead of an honest oversight by the agent and cruiseline in this case.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Some lawyer now has a csae of an exception to their written policy now to hang over their head if some other young people are denied boarding for scamming the rule instead of an honest oversight by the agent and cruiseline in this case.
Sadly, this will probably come true at some point.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:17 PM

ok someone please help me understand why they have the age rule. I know some of it is because some... I said some, young people get away from home and forget there upbringing. but then again I have seen some more mature people on a cruise that they seemed of have forgotten their upbring. So to me that doesnt seem the reason.
These young people can fight in a war, buy drinks, graduate college, die in a war, have children, marry, buy a home, a car, BUT THEY CANT TAKE A CRUISE. strange.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:38 PM

The age requirements have increased over the years with most mainstream lines. Carnival once had a reputation as a party ship. Go on a cruise and you're likely to be surrounded by teens and twenty somethings partying until they puke, loud and obnoxious late into the night or all night keeping other passengers up. Young men on spring break have a tendency to at times let testosterone over-rule judgement and fights or hitting on the staff or other passengers was complained about. Think about any south Florida beach at spring break. That reputation, fair or unfair became a major stereotype for the largest cruiseline in the world and began hurting bookings. The perception still remains today although it is not the case today, based largely on the changes in age requirements, drinking policies and other things implimented to give the staff more control and limit the numbers involved during certain times of the year when problems were unavoidable any other way. When Carnival changed the rules, other lines were fearful that the hooligans would simply change lines and find a new party home. Many lines followed their lead as they do in many ways, think fuel suppliments. There are still a handful of lines where the age requirement is still 18 and above. These are typically lines that for price and other reasons wouldn't attract college students on a fixed budget anyway. Another reason is liability. More mature passengers don't take dares to do stupid things to impress buddies or girlfriends and end up needing emergency evac from the ship for diving off a balcony at port or see how many friends they can squeeze into an elevator. Having someone 25 or over responsible for each cabin or a parent or guardian aboard cut down on the antics and horseplay. Don't be surprised if things continue to change. The changes they've made in age and alcahol being brought aboard have made positive impacts and cut dramatically the accident rate, suicides, missing persons and other serious incident rates in a very short time. They have been good for the industry but like anything else, there are times when enforcing such rules without ability to make exceptions causes problems. This poor honeymoon couple almost got bit by the enforcement of such no exception policies.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-10-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TruTrojan:
Finally, if I'm cruising in September 08, when should I book? Does it pay off to wait until the last minute to book?
You should try to book as early as possible. Better cabin selections, and the price will be set. You are protected if the price goes up, and can get adjustments if it goes down, until the final payment due date.

Dwayne
Old 05-10-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
Carnival once had a reputation as a party ship. ....snip.....

Cheers, Neil
You're right on about Carnival. Their reputation has changed somewhat in the past 10 years with improvements in food, entertainment, crowd control but why take a chance has been my thinking. I've heard to many horror stories to take a chance & that is why we don't do Carnival.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:29 AM

on one level i agree with carnival on another level I dont. I think that a person on military leave no matter the age should be allowed to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere, a married couple should be able to enjoy it. I do think that college kids on spring break seem to get the party mood a bit more then the average young person.
I just think that if carnival kicked the very wild crowd off at the very next port that would stop the wildness. I feel carnival brought the "wild party" attitude on them self by not enforcing the rules.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:08 AM

Carnival isn't going to do anything to any passengers as long as they keep selling their overpriced drinks. Can you imagine what it would do to the profits if word got out they they were discharging passengers for drinking to much? Besides that if they did start enforcing rules like that if would drive the loud noisy over drinking party people to other lines like Princess or RCL. Why rock the boat?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Administrator

I had the same opinion and avoided Carnival like the plague. Then in 2002 I finally took my first Carnival cruise. It was great and we've been back with them five times, soon to be six.

A big part of their culture change was not merely cutting out the frat house antics, but actively marketing to families. I believe Carnival was the first of the mainstream lines which went to 21 for drinking age, as well as the first to restrict bookings for those under 21.

And they have given passengers the heave-ho, as well as cut them off at the bar. I've seen the latter. They also rigorously enforce the drinking age - again, I've lost count of how many times I've seen Carnival bar staff card people.

Closed Thread

Tags
age, carnival, choices, cruise, current, deal, di, freedom, ledgen, line, lowest, military, nning, position, sea, sickness