Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 AM

Hi,
We're going on the Carnival Victory in May from San juan, Puerto Rico, and I had a few wustions for those that have left from that port before.
How far is the port from SJU airport?
What is a good cheap hotel in that area?
Or if I have a flight that arrives @ 6:10 pm and the ship saila at 10pm is that cutting it too close should we just come in the night before?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM

Hi mustangirl84, welcome to Cruise-Chat. The port is not very far from the airport, but the traffic can be horrendous. There are no inexpensive hotels in San Juan, but it is always a good idea to come in the day before your cruise. Especially if you're going out of San Juan. I made the mistake of flying in the day of, and my luggage went to another airport. It didn't catch up with me until we were in St. Thomas which was 3 days later. Another reason to come in a day ahead is in case of flight problems/delays/cancellations. The most important reason, is to not be stressed to the max when you board the ship. San Juan is a great port to sail out of. If you have time before your cruise, check out Old San Juan and the Bacardi Factory. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:28 AM
Well I can only say I wish I was you
I'll have to wait until 2010 to travel on the carnival Victory
Oh well thats life, literally is a new life, anyway I am from Puerto Rico
If you have any more question just let me know.

let me answer a few questions:

"How far is the port from SJU airport?"

Like 20 minutes on Taxi you will have no trouble finding one in front of the airport don't have to walk a lot to do so and is not expensive. You will be boarding ship almost in front of the Sheraton hotel in the old San Juan.

"What is a good cheap hotel in that area?"

I'll go with the Sheraton hotel is not that cheap but you will literally walk from it to the ship but you will have to book it on advance because it always full during saturday to sunday because of it's location is the best option and everybody knows it.
There a few cheaper options, but they are not hotels they are more bed and breaksfast style kind of place.
Also there are a few hotel outside from San Juan so, as you see, there are cheaper options that will depend on what you are looking for,
just look for a few of my past post there are comments on cheaper options that can help you or just send me a message.

"if I have a flight that arrives @ 6:10 pm and the ship sail at 10pm is that cutting it too close should we just come in the night before?"

YES THAT IS TO CLOSE!!!
Here is the deal what happens if there is trouble and they come later than 8 pm?
They wont let you board ship, and for all the horror stories on the net that I have read...well just arrive the night before.

If you need anything else please let me know
Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 AM

We are going on the same cruise in late June. Our flight changed form getting in at 5PM to 6;10 like yours... we changed flights to come in the night before for all the reasons already stated. If you can do it, change the flight, it just isn't worth the cost of the hotel stay to suffer the stress of coming in the same day. especially when there are limited number of flight to get you there should something happen to delay your original flight.

"Cheap" and "good" are going to be mutually exclusive adjectives for describing hotels. It really depends on your needs. But you can find a decent hotel in the $100 range. Try hotels.com or even priceline. I have one booked already but will try priceline closer to our sailing date.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-24-2008, 09:46 PM

Mustangirl, How are you? We did that same cruise, back in April, aboard the Destiny. Awesome choice. As everyone says ,it's probably less stressful to get there the day before. Me,as a stress loving person, chose to fly in the day of. Luckily we had no problems and everything worked out. We arrived at the ship with plenty of time to spare. We live by Charlotte NC, got a direct flight to SJ,was there in 2 1/2 hours, at noon. Ship didn't leave til 10pm. We were in good shape. If your a gambler,like me, fly in same day,if your not,day before. Either way...have a great cruise.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:07 PM
We stayed at the Raddison at 1369 ashford ave, Not cheap ($225) but very nice. We walked down the street in the morning and had a great breakfast at a very good price. We walked around the city a bit then boarded the ship about noon, After settling in we went back to San Juan and had a very fine dinner at a local resturant, then reboarded the ship. Very nice, Get there the night before and see San Juan.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 PM

last month we stayed at the Embassy Suites - it was about $160 per night (before taxes and resort fees) and was right next to the airport. The hotel was great - huge rooms, very open "garden" style lobby that each room opened out onto, very nice pool area, gym, retaurant inside the hotel, etc. Also, a very good breakfast and managers reception (open bar and snacks for a few hours each night) are included in your stay. If this is within your price range, I would highly recommend it.

Closed Thread

Tags
arrive, arrives, caribbean, carnival, cruise, day, flight, juan, leaving, people, puerto, reviews, rico, royal, san, stayed