Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 04:39 AM

I thought you couldn't bring food off the ship...I have a friend who caters and I think this is r/t Carnival not being responsible for food that was served at 8am--being spoiled at 6 pm and someone eating it...
As far as feeding the fish--I also thought you aren't supposed to do that. When we snorkeled off Bahia Honda they told us that it's akin to feeding the bears. Not a good thing teaching the fish to depend on humans for their food. Our guide at Trunk Bay on St. John also stated that they aren't supposed to do it and his crew made fun of other boats who were "baiting" the fish. Just a little info from what we've been told. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:31 AM

I dont know if it is against the rules or not. But we have done it. only on our second snorkeling trip. and this is how we learned to do it. At chanacanob in cozumel the park takes pictures while u are snorkeling (and sell them to you) and they have handfuls of fish food to attract the fish for the pics. it was really neat.....next cruise we brought our own fish food. so if it was wrong they taught us how to do it.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Banned

Cozumel specifically has a law against removing any meats, fruits, etc etc etc basically anything that is not "prepacked" from the factory.

They are trying to prevent the invasion of the Red Palm Mite. There are huge signs as you get off the ship.

Boxed cereal and candy bars etc are ok.

However, feeding the fish in Marine Preserves in Cozumel is also against the law.

I am not a marine biologist so I don't begin to understand all the "whys"...but I obey their laws for the same reason I would expect someone from Cozumel to obey our laws...even if they don't understand.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 AM

oh I agree with following the law, I am just saying that I didnt know feeding the fish were against the law. We always got the food from a store in cozumel. But I would never intentionally break the law there.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:44 AM

I just googled red palm mites. they are not transfered by basic foods but by coconuts AND THE STRAW HATS AND BAGS that we buy while in other ports....I think that the do not feed the fish sign may be more financial instead of environment... but red palm mites theory doesnt hold water when it comes to feeding fish.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:14 PM

The original question has been answered regarding Carnival wrapping up room service to go. Since we have strayed (myself included) to fish feeding and environmental laws, we will end here before this turns into something else.

If anyone wants to read the previous debate, do a search for "bagged lunches".

Dwayne

Closed Thread