Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 07:31 PM

I'm just back from the 10/29 Eastern Caribbean )San Juan, St. Maarten and St. Thomas)on the Victory. As some of you may recall, we cruised the Valor just 6-7 weeks ago on personal vacation. This cruise, however, was one I sponsored through my store for customers. We offered cardmaking, scrapbooking and stamping classes during the cruise.

I LOVED almost everything about the Victory. While the Valor was a little over-the-top on decor (too gaudy for my taste), I found the Victory to be absolutely beautiful and more sedate. The ship's theme is sea-related, and the colors lean to greens and blues.
And, the artwork on the staircases was a lot nicer than that of the Valor.

As with last month's cruise, I had a balcony cabin (on the Lido deck). I think I mentioned in my Valor review that I didn't find the beds that great. Well, the one on the Victory was WONDERFUL. I found it a lot more comfortable, as did most of my customers.

The food was equal to what we found on the Valor. Actually, the dining room menus are exactly the same. I did find that the buffet offerings differed a little, and the Victory doesn't have the fish and chips offerings, although I didn't care since I don't eat fish.

I much preferred the cruise director, Malcolm "in the middle" Burn to Darcy. Malcolm was quite funny and seemed to have a good time whether making announcements or doing something on stage. He came across as genuine and amiable.
The other thing that I really liked about him was that he used more than one or two adjectives to describe things. . .In other words, not everything was "amazing" or "awesome." LOL

One thing that really impressed me about this particular ship was that everyone seemed to really enjoy his/her job. Our cabin steward, Melvin (from the Phillipines) was the best and nicest one I have ever had. I was pretty seasick after we embarked on Sunday, and he got me Meclizine and apple juice to help out. He also checked the next night to see how I was doing.

Our head waiter, Deni, and assistant waiter, Igusti, were great, too. Because I had a group of 19 people on this cruise, we sat at two tables. Deni and Igusti were able to keep up with what everyone wanted and liked or disliked the entire week. And, Deni helped me get a surprise cake for one of the gals who turned 60 during our cruise.

Speaking of the dining room staff, they sang/danced every evening, and unlike the staffs of other ships, these guys and gals were not merely going through the motions when they sang and danced.

As I mentioned, I had a group and offered classes while we were at sea. Carnival was great to work with. They gave me a choice of amenities for my group (We received robes, champagne and chocolates, a $75/cabin shipboard credit, and a shared cocktail party.), and they gave us meeting space at no charge. And, we had 13 classes, so I'm talking about a lot of private meeting space and time.

We had a few glitches (not Carnival's fault):

1) One of my customers didn't get one her suitcase. . .The stupid porters put it on the Valor instead of the Victory. Carnival did what they could for her.

2) Someone thought they heard someone jump overboard Friday evening, so we had a slight delay while the Victory staff counted everyone. Luckily, everyone was still onboard. The best thing about this was that the crew was able to get everyone counted within 40 minutes.

3) We had ROUGH seas leaving Miami on the 29th, and during the return Sat. evening. Both nights the Captain's Log said waves were 7.5-12 feet (And I would guess they were every bit of 12 feet!!!). I was about the color of the Asparagus Soup they served the first night out.

4) Unfortunately, the father of one of my customers passed away Wednesday evening. Carnival was able to get her a flight out of St. Thomas on Thursday when we got there.

I know this is not an indepth report, but I don't want to get too verbose. And, because we have a place for port reviews, I won't go into detail about San Juan, St. Maarten or St. Thomas. I will say that Carnival is going to changet the Victory's itinerary next year, from what we were told.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 11-06-2006, 07:31 PM

I'm just back from the 10/29 Eastern Caribbean )San Juan, St. Maarten and St. Thomas)on the Victory. As some of you may recall, we cruised the Valor just 6-7 weeks ago on personal vacation. This cruise, however, was one I sponsored through my store for customers. We offered cardmaking, scrapbooking and stamping classes during the cruise.

I LOVED almost everything about the Victory. While the Valor was a little over-the-top on decor (too gaudy for my taste), I found the Victory to be absolutely beautiful and more sedate. The ship's theme is sea-related, and the colors lean to greens and blues.
And, the artwork on the staircases was a lot nicer than that of the Valor.

As with last month's cruise, I had a balcony cabin (on the Lido deck). I think I mentioned in my Valor review that I didn't find the beds that great. Well, the one on the Victory was WONDERFUL. I found it a lot more comfortable, as did most of my customers.

The food was equal to what we found on the Valor. Actually, the dining room menus are exactly the same. I did find that the buffet offerings differed a little, and the Victory doesn't have the fish and chips offerings, although I didn't care since I don't eat fish.

I much preferred the cruise director, Malcolm "in the middle" Burn to Darcy. Malcolm was quite funny and seemed to have a good time whether making announcements or doing something on stage. He came across as genuine and amiable.
The other thing that I really liked about him was that he used more than one or two adjectives to describe things. . .In other words, not everything was "amazing" or "awesome." LOL

One thing that really impressed me about this particular ship was that everyone seemed to really enjoy his/her job. Our cabin steward, Melvin (from the Phillipines) was the best and nicest one I have ever had. I was pretty seasick after we embarked on Sunday, and he got me Meclizine and apple juice to help out. He also checked the next night to see how I was doing.

Our head waiter, Deni, and assistant waiter, Igusti, were great, too. Because I had a group of 19 people on this cruise, we sat at two tables. Deni and Igusti were able to keep up with what everyone wanted and liked or disliked the entire week. And, Deni helped me get a surprise cake for one of the gals who turned 60 during our cruise.

Speaking of the dining room staff, they sang/danced every evening, and unlike the staffs of other ships, these guys and gals were not merely going through the motions when they sang and danced.

As I mentioned, I had a group and offered classes while we were at sea. Carnival was great to work with. They gave me a choice of amenities for my group (We received robes, champagne and chocolates, a $75/cabin shipboard credit, and a shared cocktail party.), and they gave us meeting space at no charge. And, we had 13 classes, so I'm talking about a lot of private meeting space and time.

We had a few glitches (not Carnival's fault):

1) One of my customers didn't get one her suitcase. . .The stupid porters put it on the Valor instead of the Victory. Carnival did what they could for her.

2) Someone thought they heard someone jump overboard Friday evening, so we had a slight delay while the Victory staff counted everyone. Luckily, everyone was still onboard. The best thing about this was that the crew was able to get everyone counted within 40 minutes.

3) We had ROUGH seas leaving Miami on the 29th, and during the return Sat. evening. Both nights the Captain's Log said waves were 7.5-12 feet (And I would guess they were every bit of 12 feet!!!). I was about the color of the Asparagus Soup they served the first night out.

4) Unfortunately, the father of one of my customers passed away Wednesday evening. Carnival was able to get her a flight out of St. Thomas on Thursday when we got there.

I know this is not an indepth report, but I don't want to get too verbose. And, because we have a place for port reviews, I won't go into detail about San Juan, St. Maarten or St. Thomas. I will say that Carnival is going to changet the Victory's itinerary next year, from what we were told.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Chris

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 11-07-2006, 12:27 PM

Sounds like you had a great time! A friend and I are sailing on the Victory in May. Did they give you any indication of when next year the itinerary is changing? Any clues on how? We don't really care where we go as long as we're sailing.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:42 PM

quote:
Sounds like you had a great time! A friend and I are sailing on the Victory in May. Did they give you any indication of when next year the itinerary is changing? Any clues on how? We don't really care where we go as long as we're sailing.

Hey, Max!! We did have a great time!

Re: The itinerary. . . .From what Malcolm said, the Victory is going to spend all of her time in the Caribbean. Another ship will take over the NY-Canada route in the fall.

In addition, they said they are going to change the order of the ports on the eastern route. We did San Juan (arriving Tuesday evening around 4:30 ship's time), St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

Because we arrived in San Juan so late, it got dark quickly and most stores were closed.

We arrived in St. Maarten on Wed. morning and St. Thomas on Thursday morning. Because we had gone to St. Maarten *before* St. Thomas, everyone on the ship had to go through US Immigration before we could leave the ship.

Therefore, from what they said, they are probably going to re-do the itinerary so that St. Maarten is last on the list. They also want to get to San Juan earlier in the day.

I forgot to mention that there was apparently another glitch during disembarkation Sunday. The gal whose luggage was put on the Valor and I were in the first wave of people to leave the Victory during self-assist. I think we walked through customs at roughly 7:50 AM. We were one of the last ones off the ship before Customs halted those still on the Victory.

From what I heard from a few of my customers caught on the ship, one of the Customs dogs alerted to something in the warehouse where they take the baggage of disembarking passengers, and Customs officers walked through and had dogs check all of the bags before they would allow even the remaining self-assists to leave. The remaining self-assists finally were permitted to leave around 9 AM.

The funny thing about all of this was that the Customs guy never checked my passport. He grabbed my customs declaration form, said, "Have a good day!" and let me go. He did the same to everyone that I saw.

Oh, the joys of beauracracy!!

Chris

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 11-08-2006, 06:34 AM

Welcome back Chris, it sucks being back in reality, but haven't hit the lottery so I have to work. It sounds like you had a great cruise, even with the minor problems. So sorry to hear about the lady's dad. Hope to see y'all on a future cruise!!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:03 PM

I went to the Cruise Victory.

I´m from Colombia, and I think that all the activities are designed for americans. Latin American People doesn´t found variety in the shows.

The Music in the Disco was very borried.
The Trip was very good, but if Malcom could be more International in the Shows, The Trip Would be beautifull.

Closed Thread