Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Administrator

I guess I'll never understand the aversion to denim jeans. As long as they are clean and have no holes, what is the problem? We are talking about fabric here!

I can go to an upscale men's shop and pay $135 for a pair of Fašonnable jeans and be considered under-dressed, yet if I wear a pair of $15 Haband slacks from the ad in my VFW Magazine I am considered acceptable.

Bing Crosby was once denied a room at a hotel because he showed up in all denim, and the desk clerk (who didn't know it was Bing) felt he wasn't dressed well enough for their establishment. Levi Strauss heard about it and gave Bing a custom-made denim tuxedo.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:59 PM

Dave- My feelings are that people who have a thing against jeans in general are from the generation that dressed their kids in jeans after school to play baseball. They're set in their ways & won't change. They see jeans & something in their brain triggers off red. Eventually they'll die off & the cruise lines will conform to the wishes of the younger generation. The cruise lines couldn't care less how the people dress as long as the bottom line is in the black.
As for myself, I'm sort of in the middle. I'm to old to ware the jeans (which I do) & to common for a tux/suit & tie - I don't dance, smoke, drink (much) but I still like cruising. I guess I missed out on something in my childhood. When I see someone in jeans it doesn't register one way or the other as long as there neat & clean.
I really liked the comment about Bing Crosby.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The cruise lines couldn't care less how the people dress as long as the bottom line is in the black.
Oh no, don't tell me it is profit driven!

You are correct though. If the bottom line was being adversely affected because of the tux and gown crowd can bet that formal wear rules would be rigorously enforced.

I know people who have never owned a pair of denim jeans. A friend of mine from grade school never wore them. He'd show up for school in slacks every day. He just didn't like the idea of blue jeans. Me? My mother always made me wear dressier stuff to school when I was little. I guess I rebelled when older and jeans are all I wore in high school. Jeans are what I wear virtually all the time - unless I'm in shorts.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:56 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Dave Beers:

I can go to an upscale men's shop and pay $135 for a pair of Fašonnable jeans and be considered under-dressed, yet if I wear a pair of $15 Haband slacks from the ad in my VFW Magazine I am considered acceptable.

endquote

OH NO not the VFW Haband Slacks, I didn't think anybody wore those, it was just an ad.
I have no problem with a well worn pair of jeans. ( I should clarify, a pair of jean that is worn well not one that is worn out) It simply makes my formal Kilt stand out all the more. However, I think that many people miss out on a special event by not taking the chance to dress to the nines. But I see no reason in this day and age to require it on a cruise ship. Just don't give me T-shirts and jeans with holes no matter how much they may have cost.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
OH NO not the VFW Haband Slacks, I didn't think anybody wore those, it was just an ad.
Oh, they are quite popular - especially with the older veterans at the Alabama state convention! The real fashionistas also insist on the Haband two-toned loafers and barong shirt. The quintessential wardrobe for casual nights. I guess the fashion sense of Barney Fife is held in high regard by many Americans.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM

The people from up north just don't view things that way. I've just about packed away my long pants until next November when it'll be cool enough to ware them again. Even at Sunday services about 75 % now have shorts on & that will grow to 90 % when the snowbirds leave in a few weeks.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The people from up north just don't view things that way. I've just about packed away my long pants until next November when it'll be cool enough to ware them again.
I am from upstate NY but have lived in AL since 1984, so I have perspective on this. Shorts in upstate NY were something we wore for a couple months and then put away with the bathing suits. In Alabama, we are within a couple weeks of shorts being "the dresscode" until sometime in October. During that time I'll wear jeans only when using my grass trimmer. I'll wear shorts out to restaurants, to the store, to everywhere. I also wear them while on the riding mower, since it is great tanning time.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Oh thank goodness. I was going to have to spend most of my cruising money on clothes just for my 14 an 16 year olds. this new policy is going to save us time and money.... Whoo Hoo... More drinks of the day for MOM!

Free Cruise Clocks

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas / Baja Mexico 2003

Tahitian Princess / Tahiti Honeymoon / September 2004 .

Old 03-31-2008, 01:59 AM

I like it too. It gives people more options to pack lighter and save money. I have no problem with jeans at all. That is all I basically wear in the winter, and shorts the rest of the time too. I am just not use to wearing jeans in semi-formal settings is all. The times are a changing though about what is socially acceptable attire.

Dwayne
Old 03-31-2008, 06:48 AM

Since I never had a lot of money and never will, cruising was the one place that I was treated like I had money. I could get dressed up (find a nice dress in a yard sale or on sale) and go to dinner, be served a fantastic meal, maybe even be seated with people out of my class. It was like I was able to experience how the other half lived, if only for a short while. RichC, guess I'm one of those old fuddy duddies, I prefer slacks to jeans in the dining room. I wear jeans to work, jeans at home, jeans to go to the store, so it's a real treat for me to get dressed up a bit. But, I'm glad they're making everyone happy, it just seems it's losing a little bit of the class.

Closed Thread

Tags
advertising, cargo, carnival, code, cruise, crusie, dinner, dinning, dress, forum, forums, magazine, men, people, room, shorts, slacks, vfw