Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator

For those going on the Holiday cruise, be forewarned that jeans have always been a common piece of clothing worn on that ship - at least since it moved to the "redneck riviera". I've even seen overalls!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
so it's a real treat for me to get dressed up a bit. But, I'm glad they're making everyone happy, it just seems it's losing a little bit of the class.
Penny you can still dress up. Just those who do not want to don't have to. I am sure there will be a good showing of suits and gowns.
As for me I am looking for my Bib Overalls...now where did I put those?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 AM

I figured the dress code on the Holiday would be more casual. Don't have any bib-overalls. Guess I'll have to check at Tractor Supply next weekend.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 AM

I think one of the reasons the cruise lines have formal nights, in addition to the bow to tradition, is that those are the big nights for the photographers. If you don't spend every night in white tie and tails, you may be more likely to buy more pictures of yourselves in sequins and feathers.

Perhaps part of Carnival's decision was based on statistics from the photography concession onboard? Perhaps they sell as many photos of formal nights as they do of other times and places during the cruise.

Or maybe Carnival is just codifying what everyone is doing anyway.

Sandy
Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 AM

I said this before but worth repeating on this string. A couple of years ago we went on our lst Celebrity cruise and I was surprised after booking and reading the package info that they had two semi formal evenings in addition to the two formal evenings. We had been on a couple of RCI's and only the two formals were common. When I called to asked a representative about this I was told that Celebrity was a cut above and that I may be refused entrance to the dining room without at least a sport coat on those evenings. At the time I was working and wearing a suit and tie every day and really wanted to unwind and not have to be expected to wear the SAME things I had to wear on a daily basis. Well, you can imagine that I did pack the sports coat so that we would be admitted to the dining room and have pretty much counted Celebrity out unless they have changed the policy or have a cruise itinery that I must have. Don't get me wrong, I am not totally against getting dressed up to the 9's, but would like to have some alternatives to wearing a suit and tie or formal wear if I really don't have to. I do love jeans and I am from the North and can't wait to get out the shorts if the snow ever melts and the temps warm up.

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-31-2008, 11:28 AM

I enjoy the fancy clothes, but I dont really car what anyone else wears. I doesn't bother me anyway.
Emily
Holiday May 2009
Fantasy Feb. 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-31-2008, 05:57 PM

We just returned from the Sensation and I mean if there was a dress code anywhere I didn't see it..the dining room was a scream..the lido dining deck had bare feet and men with no shirts on and ladies in bikini's..and they are weren't what you might want to see. hahah

Aruba Reviews
Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 PM

Not that I should be commenting but from what I'm reading about Carnival there wasn't that much class to begin with. I can't imagine how things will be in the future.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
For those going on the Holiday cruise, be forewarned that jeans have always been a common piece of clothing worn on that ship - at least since it moved to the "redneck riviera". I've even seen overalls!
Dave, I thought where I lived was known as the original "redneck riviera"?

Not that I am un-happy to pass the title to Alabama and the Gulf States.

Seriously though, I just hope they keep the dining room service, formality, and quality of food at the same level regardless of the dress code.

Dwayne
Old 04-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Banned

For years, wearing jeans in the formal dining room was seen as a form of being disrespectful. Again, it wasn't "what" people were wearing but "why" they were wearing it.
Some folks were just doing it to "prove" they could and it did add fuel to the Walmart label that folks have hung on Carnival. It came across as someone being to lazy to bring proper attire for dinner or as being ignorant on proper attire for a "formal dining room" setting.

Now those rules have changed and as long as people are following the rules (any rules) ... that is fine with me.

I do have to laugh about people wanting to bring jeans, because of the airline weight limit and comfort. Which weighs less...a pair of jeans or a pair of Khakis? Which is cooler on a Caribbean cruise...a pair of jeans or a pair of Khakis??

If they are bringing jeans in order not to have to carry "additional clothing"...does that mean they are going to wear the jeans all day in the hot sun on an excursion and then wear them right on into dinner? That's gonna smell good.

Or are they going to pack shorts to wear all day and then wear jeans at night? Again, this negates the "packing light" theory because jeans are not "light" when it comes to weight and space in a suitcase.

Things that make you go ....hum????

As long as I don't ever have to experience Bubba walking through the dining room again with his hairy sweaty exposed beer belly right at my eye level as I am trying to eat...because his tshirt was to short and his jeans were to low.

Closed Thread

Tags
advertising, cargo, carnival, code, cruise, crusie, dinner, dinning, dress, forum, forums, magazine, men, people, room, shorts, slacks, vfw