Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Banned

Just some background....we are seasoned travelers.

This was my 33rd Carnival cruise (hubby's 42nd) and our 18 year old's 33rd Carnival cruise.

Embarkation was wonderful. (which surprised me a little because we had 600+ Platinum members...so I expected VIP check in to be delayed) Port Canaveral prepared for this unusual amount of VIPs and they did it well.

We had a Spa Interior Cabin. (which I joked about being my Spa Closet on the Roll Calls...because I wanted a balcony and hubby said no) But there was plenty of room for the 3 of us. We were on Deck 11. We had a Spa Balcony on the Splendor (free upgrade) last year and I love the Thalassotherapy pool, saunas and relaxation rooms. I am NOT a Spa person at all...but I love this addition to the Carnival bigger ships.

One note: there is a possible noise issue in the Spa Interior cabins on Deck 11. IF the ship is going 20+ knots and IF the waves hit it just right...there is an echo "gong" sound. It only lasted 18 hours out of a 9 day cruise...and some additional insulation will probably fit the problem.

I emailed a VP at Carnival Corp Sunday afternoon when we got home about this and had a reply in about 2 hours. Not worthy of any compensation...I just wanted them to know they had a possible issue that they needed to deal with.

The ship is beautiful. Still a little Farcus but not as over the top as some of his ships are.

The flow on Promenade Deck 5 can get bottlenecked at the coffee bar on formal night with pictures being taken. Just use Lower Dream Street (Deck 4) to go forward to aft .....no traffic at all down there.

The Ocean Plaza concept is neat. Lots of dancing when the band is set up there.
And the whirlpools over the side are great.

I really like the fact that karaoke and the piano bar are so close!!! LOVE the Adult Serenity area. Hammocks...whirlpools... and covered cove seating were fabulous. I didn't want to leave.

Food: It was fine on Lido and in the Main Dining Room. Consistant with all the other Carnival ships we have been on. I loved the Pasta bar. I was expecting LONG lines reading earlier reviews...but we never experienced that at all. The longest line we stood in was at the mongolian wok on the last sea day and that is because each meal is individually prepared for you. We did not eat in the Steak House.

Staff: Marvelous. Friendly and helpful. This was a Blogger's Cruise...so there was a lot going on. (extra work for the staff and crew) And they all handled it with ease.

Our cabin steward and wait staff were wonderful.
Mouna (karaoke host) is THE BEST EVER!!!!

There were some issues on the ship.

The Spa elevator tripped the circuit breakers (which dominoed down the ship) and it took 15 minutes to get everyone out of the elevators who were stuck. It took 1 1/2 hours to fix the problem, since there are over 400 circuits to check.

To clear up A LOT of misinformation about San Juan... yes, we missed that port.

All ship captains (cruise, freight etc) use the
Star Cruises simulator to practice docking at ports that these new ships have never been to before....so that they are proficient when they finally arrive. (just like airline pilots use simulators to practice landing at different air fields)

http://www.starcruises-scss.com/

In San Juan, RCCL had paid to add a huge piece of artwork that was not programmed into the Star Cruise simulator. It was added after this program was written and San Juan never bothered to contact Star Cruise to update the addition.

This huge piece of artwork would have pierced the lifeboats had Captain Carlos not caught the error in time. This would have meant the end of our cruise and everyone flying home from San Juan.

The second option of docking at another dock was not possible because the Dream required a deeper draft.

The option of tendering was not possible because San Juan does not have any tenders and the lifeboats (which some cruise lines use as tenders) would not match up to the docks. The docks were to tall.

Now this piece of artwork is being removed because the Oasis of the Seas can't dock there either and with only about 6 ports to work with...RCCL certainly does not want to lose one.

This was one disappointment that even the Senior Cruise Director John Heald understood...since he had been planning a big Blogger's Party with Nani (who lives in Puerto Rico) for over a year. She was going to come onboard and we had tons of school supplies for her school children. She and John (and the Blogger's Family) are all very close and we were all disappointed....but as travelers we understand that "ship happens".

Carnival is making sure all the school supplies get to Nani this week.

It was also a disappointment for the staff and crew because this was to be their "money stop" (where they wire money home to their family).

This is where my "patience" for BUS RIDERS wore a little thin. If someone HAS to be at a specific port for a special event....FLY THERE.
This is a cruise ship....not a bus.

But they don't fly there...because to fly there, pay for the hotel and meals and taxis etc...would COST MORE than the 9 day cruise they were on...and they get the cruise as a bonus.

Again, the amount of stupid information sadden me. If someone doesn't know what they are talking about...they should keep their mouth shut! Some idiot made the sad mistake of saying to me that Carnival had cancelled that port on purpose to make the gambling and alcohol revenue. I quickly corrected them and let them know that the shore excursion revenue lost by Carnival at that one stop far exceeded any alcohol or gambling that was spent that day.

But what can you do.....as Ron White says "You can't fix stupid."

The Dream staff had a new Caper out before we could even get down to the Atrium to see what was going on....with a whole host of activities.

We loved the ports. This was our first time to Antigua and Tortola. We just walked around the shops at the port. We were just at St Thomas in May for the upteenth thousandth time....so our big excursion was a trip to KMart!!! (and then on to the Shipwreck Tavern to have lunch with friends)

Overall....we had a blast. Of the 3,804 guests on board....3,100+ were past guests...which broke a record. And of course the 600+ Platinum members broke a record.

I was Brittney Spears in the Legend Show...and had a blast. We actually got to do two shows instead of just one. (we did the 8:30 and 10:30) The 10:30 was definately better...a lot of the nerves are gone by then. Although, I wish I had asked Frank for more monitor. I am monitor dependent (hearing myself) to keep on key. But it was fun.

Frank Sinatra stole the show. He was 82 years old!!!

Some questions I had heard ask was about the FREE sauna and steam room. They do have BOTH.
One is co-ed and the other has a men's and ladies.

Of course they have the full gym etc....

Lots of music on the Promenade.... a cover band, Kevin playing an acoustic guitar, two duos in the Atrium, piano bar, Latin band and C. band.

If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the detailed review! And also for the education...I wasn't aware of the simulator they use.

Bus riders is a great way to put it.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Banned

I did want to add that a few cabins (folks on our roll call that are very reliable) did have a sewer issue. It wasn't just a smell....there was some back flushing into the shower.

Anyone who had an issue with this simply needs to write a well worded (code for no generalizations, exaggerations or judgements....just the facts) to:

Ruben Rodriguez VP of Guest Experiences
Carnival Cruise Lines
3655 NW 87th Avenue
Miami, Fl. 33178

This situation is unexceptable and warrants compensation.

The very few times that we had an issue that warranted compensation....Carnival has been more than fair in our opinion.

It may take 6 weeks...but I recommend SNAIL MAIL because it has always worked better for me.

As long as a cruiser is realistic in their expectations....I do not believe they will be disappointed.

I have always started my letters with all the positives (because there are always lots of them)...and then add: "however the reason for my letter is...." I try to explain the situation in such a way that the reader can put themselves in my situation. Again, no judgments, etc. Just the facts in a good tone.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
Thanks for the detailed review! And also for the education...I wasn't aware of the simulator they use.

Bus riders is a great way to put it.
For some reason, the past two days..the website won't pull up.

I was able to pull it up on Sunday....so I am not sure what is up with that. But it is VERY interesting!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Thank you so much for the detailed and wonderfully written review!

Thanks also for all the information about the spas, entertainment, and for clearing up the temporary power outage. I had heard about it and the people stuck on the elevators. I can't wait to try the pasta bar! I love the upper level of the lido restaurants. Sorry to hear about the school supplies being delayed, I forgot about that.

Yep, it wasn't reported about the simulator problem until after the initial reports. I think I actually read that from John first, not sure. Thanks for the link, it is amazing and very interesting.

I know what you mean about "Bus Riders".

Thanks again for all this information, and I am glad you had a blast! Please be the first to submit a review for the Dream on CruiseReviews.com, our parent site. Here is a link.

Welcome back,

Dwayne
Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Anyone who had an issue with this simply needs to write a well worded (code for no generalizations, exaggerations or judgements....just the facts) to:

Mr. Rodriguez was just promoted to VP of Ship Operations. If complaint letters are no longer part of his job, I'm sure the letter will be forwarded to the new VP of Marketing and Guest Experience.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 PM

Oh you make the Dream sound just like well a Dream...Cant wait until Sept so I can take my "Dream" cruise. And it will be my 10th.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
quote:

Mr. Rodriguez was just promoted to VP of Ship Operations. If complaint letters are no longer part of his job, I'm sure the letter will be forwarded to the new VP of Marketing and Guest Experience.

Good for him...he has not been there long so he must be doing a super job.

As long as "issues" are ship mechnical or design flaws...I bet he can direct them to the right person....
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 AM
lhp -

Thank You for the fine cruise review of the CarnivalDream. Your impressions tally well with those I experienced last month on her 2 nite CTW out of NYC!!! How I wish I had been on the longer Bahamas run immediately thereafter and Sam's Piano Bar is an absolute favorite !

BillyBuzzy
Old 04-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Hi,
Our family is going on the Dream next January 2011. We have booked the Cloud 9 spa cabins (it was the only fully accessible cabin they had at booking), so family had to get on the same deck but inside cabins. We were wondering what special things you get for paying for that higher priced cabin?
Thank you,
cinprin00

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, coed, complaints, cruise, dream, handle, inauragral, interior, outage, power, rodriguez, ruben, sauna, spa, splendor