Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Administrator

baby doll, congratulations on your decision to get travel insurance! As for cost, that depends on several factors, such as what you'd like to have covered and the coverage amounts (which are not necessarily limited to 75%). The best place to start looking is the site LHT mentioned, http://www.insuremytrip.com/.

At a minimum, make certain that you are covered for both cancellation, trip interruption, and emergency medical evacuation.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:41 AM

I just bought insurance on both of my upcoming cruises. I had never use travel insurance until I read a similar thread a few weeks ago when I joined this forum. You can go to Insuremytrip.com and it will give you different quotes from different providers. We chose travelguard because it came recommended from this board. AIG travelguard has 3 to 5 different types of insurance. you call them and choose what is best for you. At least, that was my experience. They were very helpful in explaining the diffent types of coverage.
I never knew that travel insurance covered interruption, medical treatment, lugagge insurace etc. I thought that it only reimbursed you if you were not able to go on your vacation. I always thought that my medical insurance in the States would cover any medical treatment. But after reading on this forum, I called them and they said "it may or may not pay, you just have to summit your claim and see". I decided then that a little extra is worth the peace of mind. Enjoy your cruise and please write us to see how it went. I will definitely be reading everyday until I go on my cruise. It gets me excited to hear about cruising and it makes the days go by faster or so it seems.
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Sovereign of the Seas 2/08
Enchantment of the Seas 4/08
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-08-2007, 08:52 AM

I never purchased travel insurance until my 02/10/07 CCL Fantasy Cruise. I purchased it b/c weather in NYC during February is unpredictable and I wanted to be covered just in case. Ironically, this cruise was cancelled b/c the ship was hit by a runaway barge on its way back to New Orleans from the previous week's cruise.

However, and this is a big however, my policy with Travel Guard did not offer any reimbursement for my out-of-pocket expenses (transports, air fare, cab to airport) because naively, I had purchased with Travel Guard and this particular company sells policies that are less than comprehensive. In short, this policy did not cover for "cancellation/interruption caused by a common carrier". However, had I purchased a CSA policy which was about the same price, I would have been covered. Needless to say Travel Guard has lost a customer for life.

All of this is to say that when you purchase travel insurance (which I now highly recommend), you must read the policy thoroughly to see what loopholes exist. Many times people believe they are covered b/c they have purchased "travel insurance" but in reality, there may be more things that are excluded than what is covered.

Carnival refunded the cost of the cruise and is paying $200 towards the cost of changing my airfare. After that reimbursement, I was only out $290 in expenses. I wrote to Carnival after I booked my next cruise and they gave me a $260 OBC which basically makes me whole.

Lesson learned.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 04-12-2007, 05:38 AM

I used Access America for my insurance and was very pleased with the rates. You have 4 plans to choose from. We paid $173 for a $3500 trip. My boss almost choked when I told him. I have my certificate in my folder with all my other cruise info. We have 4 people going on this cruise.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:23 PM

I personally do Not leave Home w/o the Travel Insurance.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:48 PM

I guess that limits your trips to the grocery store huh?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 PM
I just got my insurance today...thanks Lisa I used the sight you suggested. Paid $140.00 for $2,700.00 worth and did get travel delay, trip cancellation, and emergency evacuation. Baggage and other stuff but these are the biggies. Feel much better now and don't have to fret flights not making it with weather, or one of us getting sick and can't go. Thanks fellow cruisers for putting us on the right track...now if I can just wait to book my flights..330 days out.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN

Closed Thread

Tags
bought, buy, carnival, cruise, emergency, evacuation, flight, guard, insurace, insurance, mexico, ncl, rccl, review, reviews, travel, trip