Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator

And just to clarify - if prescription meds are in bottle or containers with labels showing your name, that is good enough.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 PM

Wow!!! My name got mentioned alongside two moderators and an administrator! Thanks, TheTylerose!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Wow!!! My name got mentioned alongside two moderators and an administrator! Thanks, TheTylerose!
Congratulations!

Those were great posts and spot on.

Dwayne
Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 AM

In regards to a CPAP machine: I put an extension cord in my CPAP carrying bag, and have each item in plastic bags, except for the machine itself. The TSA agents always check out my CPAP. I leave the carrying case open when I set it on the conveyor. The airlines will allow you to carry your CPAP on the aircraft without counting it as a carry-on item. The cruise ships never questioned me on the CPAP.

My wife has a lot of medication that she takes in the morning and evening. I put all her meds in a weekly plastic pill box, plus she takes some extra pain medicine in case she get a migraine headache—those are in the prescription bottle. We have never been questioned about the pills. However, she does have a list of all the pills with the RX numbers in her purse just in case. She carry's her pills in her purse because she would be in a world of trouble if her luggage ever got lost and her meds inside. I hope this makes you a little more comfortable. The TSA agents are VERY STRICT when it comes to liquid.

Sonny
Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 AM

You can get an extention cord at the Pursers desk(25 dollar deposit on sail and sign card-which is returned when you return it on last day)Call Carnival and inform them of you med needs-they are very helpful.

In the travel case for the CPAP machine check one of the pockets and you should have documentation.

7th cruise coming up in 2 weeks and never had a problem with my CPAP.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bige:
You can get an extention cord at the Pursers desk(25 dollar deposit on sail and sign card-which is returned when you return it on last day)Call Carnival and inform them of you med needs-they are very helpful.

In the travel case for the CPAP machine check one of the pockets and you should have documentation.

7th cruise coming up in 2 weeks and never had a problem with my CPAP.
Big E... Glad to talk to another PAP user. We are both BIPAP and like the idea of taking our own extension cords. We will be packing our machines in the BIPAP case, yet are planning on putting our hoses in a clear ziplock and our masks in a clear ziplock withing the case for infection control purposes. And your suggestion of the paperwork in the pocket of the case..... Excellent suggestion.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator

My husband uses a CPAP, and has recently taken to bringing his own extension cord. As bige does, he also has the documentation in the pocket, and -- just in case -- carries a note from his doctor that simply states its medical need. He was questioned about it once last year, and these papers enabled him to get through with no problems.

I don't know what kind of water you use, yet my husband uses distilled water. Our TA calls ahead to arrange for a large bottle to be delivered to our cabin upon embarkation. On some lines, we're charged a few dollars, but it's better than lugging something else along.

As for our medications, we keep them in the original bottles. I also bring along the info sheets we get from the pharmacy as it shows the name of the medication, prescribing physician, and any contraindications. I pack this separately from the meds.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 AM

I have yet to be questioned about paperwork, and I've made more that two dozen trips. Has anyone ever had to produce documentation for a CPAP or medication? I suppose now that I mentioned it, I'll be questioned next month.

Sonny
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Along the lines of documents - make sure you have the needed proof of citizenship for the cruise. Here are the current requirements. Bear in mind that if using a birth certificate it must be either the original or a certified true copy issued by a government agency or office. Notarized is no good. A copy you made at Kinko's is no good. They look for something with a raised seal or stamp on it.

As always, a passport is best.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny V:
I have yet to be questioned about paperwork, and I've made more that two dozen trips. Has anyone ever had to produce documentation for a CPAP or medication? I suppose now that I mentioned it, I'll be questioned next month.

Sonny
I am not the person to ask this question to Sonny! I raised an eyebrow to some advise given to me yesterday and from now on, I will keep my opinions to myself because I obviously hurt feelings and that was never my intent. I have contacted the cruise line myself and was told what was required of me as to bringing on board medications that are injectible (one for hubbys diabetes, and another for myself which is a cancer medication via injection), breathing machines, and also regular prescribed maintenance medications. Sorry Sonny... I just suggest you contact your cruise line direct.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, carribbean, cruise, cruises, doctor, doctors, drugs, note, packing, prescription, require, royal