Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2006, 01:31 PM

I just got back from the Victory 7 days in the eastern Carribean. Overall it was a very nice cruise but I can't help but wonder if management closes thier eyes to a couple obvious problems.

1. Carnival sells shuttle tickets from airports to the pier. I paid for a round trip shuttle from Ft Lauderdale to the Miami pier. I think, but Im not sure this is contracted out by Greyhound. Regardless the driver drove like crazy. I just pretended I was in New York City, but at the end of the stop he got up and explained to everyone on the bus that we need to "take care of him." I dont tip bus drivers but like everyone else on the bus was made to feel guilty in spite of his horrible driving. Then, as soon as he pulled out our luggage and placed it with a group of other luggage, another dude came over and explained that we would never see him again, and if we want to make sure our luggage gets on the right ship (I think there were 3 there on that Sunday) we need to "take care" of him. They obviously are not part of Carnival and I would think Carnival wouldn't want any assiciation with these people. That is not the way to start out a cruise!

2. Everyone knows how when a ship docks at a port we all want out right? We had just 4 hours to explore San Juan. So what does Carnival Victory do at the gangway? They make each couple stop and pose for a photo before setting foot on the dock. Well after a while not all people stoped because some got mad. There are thousands of people waiting to get off 2 exits and Carnival wants to slow things down just so they can sell more photos. This frustrated lots of people.

For those who love having your photo taken at every port, and dont care that you have just a few hours to see the sights, how about going to a seperate line on the dock and waiting your turn? Carnival in my opinon really needs to get their priorites straight here.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:38 AM

If you booked your transfers through Carnival it states all the small print on the voucher. I have not used CCL vouchers for transfers in years, so I don't know if it is still included, but it used to state right on the voucher that gratuity to the driver was included. The transfer company and baggage people are contracted by Carnival. If they make you feel guilty to tip, then you are playing right into their hands at what they practice doing. Is it sickening? Yes. I too am sick of the way our society has become in thinking you owe them something for simply doing their job. It is no different at the airport, car,and hotel shuttles. They all have their little cups right out in sight. I often wonder how much money in taxes our government is losing because of all these people. You know darn well they are not including it all as income.
As for the pictures they don't "Make" you take them. When they come around at dinner I just tell them I don't want my picture taken. When I get off the ship I just keep walking off the ship, don't stop.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
If you booked your transfers through Carnival it states all the small print on the voucher. I have not used CCL vouchers for transfers in years, so I don't know if it is still included, but it used to state right on the voucher that gratuity to the driver was included. The transfer company and baggage people are contracted by Carnival. If they make you feel guilty to tip, then you are playing right into their hands at what they practice doing. Is it sickening? Yes. I too am sick of the way our society has become in thinking you owe them something for simply doing their job. It is no different at the airport, car,and hotel shuttles. They all have their little cups right out in sight. I often wonder how much money in taxes our government is losing because of all these people. You know darn well they are not including it all as income.
As for the pictures they don't "Make" you take them. When they come around at dinner I just tell them I don't want my picture taken. When I get off the ship I just keep walking off the ship, don't stop.
If everyone didnt stop it would be wonderful. Unfortunately 95% stoped or felt they need to stop creating longer lines than necessary.

I didnt read any fine print about the porters or drivers. Since Carnival contracts this out I would think they would make sure this doesn't happen. Yeah Im playing right into their hands and it is sickening. But I was afraid the alternative to no tip could leave me baggageless on board!

Princess in Seattle has none of this going on. I just think it leaves a very negative image of Carnival right when your vacation is just starting.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Actually, the "dude" who came over at the pier to get your bags is employed by the port authority and Carnival has little to say about it. Some ports are better than others. The same thing would have been encountered at the Port of Miami by any cruise ship, regardless of the cruise line. At the Port Of Mobile for instance, the porters don't pressure for tips. New Orleans never struck me as being too bad either.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:07 AM

It NEVER ceases to amaze me how some people going on a cruise vacation almost LOOK for things to complain about! Let's look at some of the complaints in this review.......
Tipping the bus driver, I have to agree with you here, I personally would have told him if he expected tips for doing his job, he should have become a doorman!!! I NEVER use the cruise line "PROVIDED" shuttle from the airport since I have found that a taxi is usually cheaper and you don't have to wait for a full bus before going to the pier. But, I DO tip the taxi driver though.
As for the luggage handlers, whats the big deal??? At $1 or $2 bucks a bag...whats it gonna cost to make sure you get your bags onboard, $6!!! These guys at best make only minimum wage and work only 2-3 days a week! I bet you don't even tip the luggage handler at the airport!
As for the line to disembark because of the photo opportunities, Some people DO like shots in different ports. I agree they should move away from the gangway to allow others that don't want photo's to disembark. I usually see how long the line is and wait or go up on deck and wait for the line to thin out. All in All, what was the tip charge, round trip to and from the pier $20? Ask yourself this, What did I spend for the cruise, the room charges, the nik-naks I bought etc. It sounds like you had a relitively good cruise (The ship didn't sink, it didn't catch fire, you didn't fall overboard and you didn't get sick (I'm hoping). Just sounds like you got what I like to call "P.C.D.D" (Post Cruise DRAMATIC Disorder). If all you have to complain about is the photo and tipping issues, YOU HAD A GREAT CRUISE!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 09:22 AM

I agree with Sarge. As said in other posts
"a bad day on a cruise ship is better than a good day at work"!
On our last cruise, with RC, we had horrible service in the dining room. But instead of making a big deal and let that get to us, we just ate at the buffet most nights. NO big deal. It certainly did not ruin our cruise. In fact we were ready to book our next cruise before we ever got off the ship! and that was my husbands first time! Any vacation is what You make of it!!!!

Old 03-04-2006, 10:46 AM

My husband and I have just returned from a trip on the Carnival Pride. My husband was the best man in a wedding that took place on the ship.

The wedding, reception, etc. were very nice. For much of the rest of the trip, though, we were quite shocked with a few things: the constant attempts to upsell the guests; the calibre of the food almost everywhere except the Normandie Restaurant; the complete lack of information on the ports if you weren't taking a Carnival excursion or shopping in a Carnival-recommended store. I suppose since we didn't choose this vacation as one normally does, that says a few things - however, going in not knowing what to expect, I believe we were a blank slate. Also, I have to disagree with another poster - we were not very impressed with the quality of the shows, although apparently one of the comedians was great, and the main singer for the "swing" music show was very good.

I would not recommend Carnival for a vacation. For any organization, trying to serve 2,000 passengers is a huge undertaking - which at least explains the mall-like atmosphere and the cafeteria-quality food most of the time

I'm curious to know if anyone else shares my opinions.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:17 PM
NOPE
Old 03-04-2006, 01:19 PM
amen you said it best!!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:46 PM

I'm sorry to hear you had a "BAD" time on the Pride. My Wife & I along with my 12 year old niece went on the Pride in 2002 and we had a good (on a scale of 1-10...an 8). The only complaints we had were with the kids program and with our room stewerd. Upon return, I mailed Carnival a review of the cruise (as I always do, Good OR Bad) and they sent me a letter for added amenities on my next Carnival Cruise (which I am taking advantage of on the Carnival Triumph May 6,2006). It seems the more cruises I go on, the more I have to compare to, but, ALL ships being managed by different crew,can cause comparison, sometimes major. Can't say I ever wrote off a cruise line because of 1 ship though. Don't give up on Carnival, we are about to do our 4th cruise with them! I reccommend you write a letter to Carnival (a review) and explain your concerns. You may be surprised on YOUR return from them.

Carnival Celebration
Celebrity Meridian
NCL Dreamward(Now the NCL DREAM)
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Grand Princess
Carnival Triumph(5/6/06)

Closed Thread

Tags
advantages, baggage, carnival, cruise, cruises, disembark, juan, lines, long, main, san, ship, tacky, transfers, victory, wedding