Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 12:12 PM

For a very strange and unknown reason to ourselves and our T/A, Carnival cancelled our December cruise on the Legend. They even refunded my cruise deposit back to my credit card, and that's how we first find out about the cancellation.

Now, after several calls by my T/A to Carnival, we were reinstated and rebooked on the same cruise. However, and as a "token for the mistake and confusion", Carnival proceeded to "upgraded" us from our previous selected CAT 8-I (Panorama Deck) to CAT 8-B (Upper Deck). Upon close examination, I noticed that while CAT 8-I is actually an extedend balcony stateroom, CAT 8-B is just a standard balcony one. I don't consider this an upgrade, do you? On the other hand, other than a smaller balcony, perhaps the new stateroom location on Upper Deck is more "favorable", what do you think?

Is Carnival pulling a fast one on us? Should we demand a fair upgrade?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Welcome to Cruise Chat, AndyFL. I would be lying if I told you that I was qualified to answer your question. There are people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge and I am sure that they will give you an intelligent answer. That being said, I do NOT feel that you were upgraded. I would rather be on the Panorama deck than the Upper deck. The balcony for a cat 8D is a full 50% smaller than the 8I that you originally booked. I do not feel that they have justly compensated you in the least. Perhaps you T/A can change the booking or at least secure you some onboard credit.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Umm, that isn't an upgrade. An 8B is a cheaper cabin than an 8I.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM

Andy,

An 8I is a 7 category higher cabin than an 8B. You were actually downgraded on your cabin assignment. I've had similar ghost cancellations, one just a couple of days ago. I don't know how or why they happen but they do, more often than they should. Your T/A should be able to go to bat for you and get you either a Cat 8I or higher category cabin if that was what was originally booked. Something doesn't add up with that, I've never had Carnival put a client in a lower category than the original booking for a mishap that was their error. One of two things probably happened. Either they are sold out of cabins at/above the 8I level or it was not CCL's fault. Your agent may have inadvertantly failed to post the deposit and is not owning up to his/her own error and is blaming the cruise line. I don't want to assume anything but there is something wrong with the story. If CCL didn't have same/hifger Cat's available there should have been some sort of $$$ compensation for moving you down.

It just dawned on me as I was typing, one other explanation exists. If you were originally booked in a Balcony Guarantee (Cat BL) and later issued the 8I, then it was cancelled, you are actually entitled only to a Cat 8A or higher. So... any balcony assignment fulfills the original booking requirements and there is nothing you can really do. You need more info if you can get it. I'm not sure if the T/A made a mistake you'll ever get the straight skinny unless he/she is very honest and willing to admit to his/her error (something not as common in society today in general, many seem to want to pass the buck).

Good luck, Neil
Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks to all for your replies.

TrvlPro, I know for a fact that my T/A gave Carnival the booking and credit card information since the credit card charge on my monthly statement is directly from Carnival Cruises Lines in Miami. Also, the deposit refund issued comes from Carnival as well.

As far as which CAT we originally booked, I am not sure if it was a Balcony Guarantee (Cat BL), but this is an excellent point. I'll verify with my wife and post a reply.

ANDY
Old 07-09-2007, 02:50 PM

By eliminating the T/A as the point of the error, CCL should take care of either upgrading you back to the 8I or higher or at the least refund (or provide OBC) for the difference in the cost. If it was not originally a BL booking. Even if it was a BL originally, if they upgraded you to BI ans they (or thier computer system) were at fault for the cancellation I'd still think just for good customer relations they should get you back to the level or higher. Again, I've had it happen on more than one occasion and have never recieved a lower cabin category when the issue was resolved.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-11-2007, 04:17 PM

OK, today we finally heard back from our T/A and we had been upgraded back to our original 8I Cat. As a matter of fact, we were assigned the same cabin as before...hummm...weird isn't it?

Anyway, we are happy our T/A was able to straighten out everything for us and we are back where we are supposed to be. I keep my fingers crossed hoping our resevartion doesn't get mysteriously dropped again.

Another reason to always book with a competent travel agent!

Regards, Andy
Old 07-12-2007, 03:20 PM

Andy, thanks for the update and glad everything worked out. Also happy to hear you have a good T/A taking care of you.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
8b, 8d, back, carnival, cat, cat8b, category, credit, cruise, deposit, good, ship, statement, unknown, upgrade, upgrades