Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 01:38 PM

I was booking my fall cruise this morning and as I was talking to the lady at carnival I said to her, at least if I book now I wont have to worry about a fuel charge if the have one this yr. She said yes I do, that carnival can add it to the price of the ticket even after it is booked and paid for.
has anyone else heard of this, I thought they had to give us a notice.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Administrator

An excerpt from their press release: "Carnival reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests at up to $9 per person per day should the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) increase above $70 per barrel."

I haven't read it closely lately, but I have no doubt the cruise contract allows them to charge it, even after final payment is made.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:00 PM

macmom, Yes it's true unfortunately. If you look at Carnival. com's Quick Search booking tool, you'll see it disclosed on practically every page. I wonder if you would not have brought it up, if they would have disclosed it on the phone.

Dwayne
Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 PM

I think if sweet crude goes that high it will really hurt the cruise industry.

Sonny
Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM

I think so too. They are pretty much covering themselves in case it does. I don't think Carnival will automatically zap on the supplement though until they weigh the impact.

Dwayne
Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Most, if not all, cruise lines added the right to reinstate the fuel supplement if certain conditions are met. So, once one is the first to implement this right, the others will follow.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 AM

Business as usual...

Sonny
Old 03-01-2009, 07:12 AM

I honestly dont think the lady would have told me about the fuel charge if I had not asked. just me but i just dont see how they can legally add it to a fully paid cruise, but I guess they can. but I am afraid that in the tight economy they will only hurt themself in the long run. what do ya do but pay it.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 AM
We all just need to pray that oil doesnt go up not only for the cruise but for life in general..I feel if they raise it that will hurt them so bad that they may not recover.Going on a cruise is a privilage not a must,and they need to be careful because i believe people will soon get tired of the surcharges and stay home. $6.00 a day ppr is alot of money at the end of the week

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 AM

We will all know if any cruise line tacks on a fuel charge prior to a sailing date. They're not going to hit you with a bill during or after the cruise. I'm not going to worry about it, there's enough to worry about already. If you're going to pray, pray for our nation.

Sonny

Closed Thread

Tags
charge, cruise, fuel