Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 AM

We are going on a cruise on the Dream January 29th. It is our first time with Carnival although we hae been on Celebrity, RC and Princess numerous times. We were wondering if they have Midnight Buffets and how does Carnival compare with other cruise lines?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Hi dschweitzer, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Congratulations on your up-coming cruise! We've had quite a few members sail the Dream and reported back that the cruise was truly a dream. While Princess is my favorite, I've always enjoyed my Carnival cruises. Carnival is not as sedate as Princess or Celebrity or HAL, but their ships are clean, their crews are great, and their food is very good. You have to try the chocolate melting cake, at least once, it is so yummy!

You'll probably find more families with children on board, but then again, maybe not, since school will be in session.

Sorry, no midnight buffets, most lines have done away with them. They did do a chocolate buffet on our Valor cruise in May, it was during the day, though.

Each cruise line offers it's own uniqueness, so try not to compare one line to another. I know that sounds hard to do, but really it's easy. Who knows, Carnival might end up being your favorite line

Best wishes!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi dschweitzer, I will be on the same cruise as you. Welcome aboard. I have not seen the Midnight Gala Buffet on Carnival in a few years.

I would like to add my own question regarding dining times.

At one time Carnival used to have staggered dining times (5:45 and 6:00) between the forward and aft dining rooms before they added the anytime dining. From what I understand, are the upper decks of both restaurants reserved for "Any Time Dining" and the lower decks for reserved dining? Or is the forward restaurant exclusively any time and the aft reserved?

I have asked for the early sitting dining. My room is 2 decks below the forward restaurant, so I would prefer to be in that one.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Hi PC Guy, I'm not sure on the Dream, but that's how they worked it on the Valor. The upper part of the main dining room was for Anytime and the lower was for assigned seating. We opted for Anytime, but were able to get the same wait staff each evening. They were absolutely superb. I would think the Dream would be something similar.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:00 AM

We're also going to be on this cruise...It'll be my 10th with Carnival, finally Platinum
Old 11-04-2010, 09:41 AM

dschweitzer / manmtnmike / DREAM. Am hoping for an Apr 23 cruise on DREAM. But this is iffy due to health concerns. Have 25 Carnival cruises to date.

Collecting Carnival ship postcards is my hobby. Need someone who would to a favor? In Gift Shop aboard DREAM are two postcard items I am missing. Carnival Dream postcard album & Dream magnetic mailable postcard. This is 3 1/2" x 5" and can be used as a frig magnet souvenir. Both items are about $4.00 ea. References furnished. Sure will refund costs before sending off the postcards to me.

edited to remove email address.

Rudy Friederich, Knoxville, TN
25 Carnival Cruises
All ships but Carnival Dream
Carnival postcard colloector
Old 11-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Hi manmtnmike, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Congratulations on hitting #10!!!! I hear the perks are great. I need 6 more on Princess and 4 more on Carnival. Come on lottery

Rudy Friederich, welcome to Cruise-Chat, too! I edited your post and have pm'd you explaining why. Best wishes!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:39 AM

We were on the Dream last yr. The cruise will be awesome as they all are. YOu will enjoy Carnival. There is no midnight buffet but you will have no problem finding something to eat at midnight. The assigned seating and the anytime dining are at the same time in the same dining room, and I think it is mixed with both upper and lower rooms for both dining options. The Dream is BIG. VERY BIG, almost too big. There are not more things to do, just more cabins. People complained about the lines and there are longer lines then on most Carnival ships but it was not too bad. It was too big for me. I prefer a little smaller ship. YOu will enjoy the Cruise.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 PM

The anytime dinning was done in the midships dinning room and the assigned dinning was done in the aft main dinning room on the Dream. Same setup on the Splendor. I am not sure how they handle it on ships without a secondary dinning venue. My guess is the upper and lower level split. But if I remember correctly the Fantasy class ships do not have 2 story dinning rooms. So that may be completely different. Do they even have MTD on Fantasy class ships?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 PM

Jim, You are correct the dining rooms on the Fantasy class are one level. They do offer MTD
though.

Closed Thread

Tags
anytime, buffet, buffets, carnival, cruise, dining, dream, early, friederich, lines, midnight, restaurant, reviews, rudy, ship, times