Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 10:01 PM

Review is coming soon, lads and lasses, but the cliffs notes are as follows:

Total number of unsupervised kids running around: zero. Total number of rowdy drunks: zero. Food: 6 out of 10, with some dramatic highs and so-so lows. Crew: great, just- excellent, respectful, upbeat...

The whole Carnival thing is FINE. It is a fun ship- not a horrifyingly contrived "fun" ship, but an actually fun ship. Almost no hawking of gold and silver, no aggressive drink pushing, about three announcements from the CD a day... I have so much to say that i should probably wait until I get home and am not S&S'ing internet minutes.

But I will tell you what, the funnel really gets to you. It is like an ancient volcanic God, belching black smoke out of one side, and then, mysteriously, the other side hours later. Why, O Funnel God? What did we do to displease you? Where exactly can one hide from the funnel, anyway? It is always there, bright red, looming over all. My 7 year old wanted nothing more for the last week than to touch the funnel, but he was actually afraid to until today.

Not kidding- the funnel freaks me out. I would be interested to hear what Nancy has to say about it. Obviously the martketing geniuses at CCL wanted something that would not only make the ship look distinctive and whale-ish from afar, but to instill some kind of feeling in those who are spending most of their waking hours on the Lido deck, home of the FUNNEL. It is the most imposing thing I have ever seen.

Off to go worship the funnel. Oh, by the way, Progreso? What were they thinking??? Reggie in Belize gets an A1 from me, although the trip was a comedy of errors which I will tell you all about.

I will definitely sail CCL again. I don't know what I was so worried about. The people are very nice. Although y'all should have warned me- a cruise from Galveston is going to have a lot of TEXANS on board, as well as country music shows and God Bless the USA sing alongs... I just left and went to my cabin to sing God Bless the Funnel and shake incense here and there.

Tata for now. Grand buffet tonight. I have progressed to six full meals a day (bonus round is when you have High Tea and then run over and get sushi within the same 5 minute span).
Old 08-19-2005, 10:01 PM

Review is coming soon, lads and lasses, but the cliffs notes are as follows:

Total number of unsupervised kids running around: zero. Total number of rowdy drunks: zero. Food: 6 out of 10, with some dramatic highs and so-so lows. Crew: great, just- excellent, respectful, upbeat...

The whole Carnival thing is FINE. It is a fun ship- not a horrifyingly contrived "fun" ship, but an actually fun ship. Almost no hawking of gold and silver, no aggressive drink pushing, about three announcements from the CD a day... I have so much to say that i should probably wait until I get home and am not S&S'ing internet minutes.

But I will tell you what, the funnel really gets to you. It is like an ancient volcanic God, belching black smoke out of one side, and then, mysteriously, the other side hours later. Why, O Funnel God? What did we do to displease you? Where exactly can one hide from the funnel, anyway? It is always there, bright red, looming over all. My 7 year old wanted nothing more for the last week than to touch the funnel, but he was actually afraid to until today.

Not kidding- the funnel freaks me out. I would be interested to hear what Nancy has to say about it. Obviously the martketing geniuses at CCL wanted something that would not only make the ship look distinctive and whale-ish from afar, but to instill some kind of feeling in those who are spending most of their waking hours on the Lido deck, home of the FUNNEL. It is the most imposing thing I have ever seen.

Off to go worship the funnel. Oh, by the way, Progreso? What were they thinking??? Reggie in Belize gets an A1 from me, although the trip was a comedy of errors which I will tell you all about.

I will definitely sail CCL again. I don't know what I was so worried about. The people are very nice. Although y'all should have warned me- a cruise from Galveston is going to have a lot of TEXANS on board, as well as country music shows and God Bless the USA sing alongs... I just left and went to my cabin to sing God Bless the Funnel and shake incense here and there.

Tata for now. Grand buffet tonight. I have progressed to six full meals a day (bonus round is when you have High Tea and then run over and get sushi within the same 5 minute span).
Old 08-19-2005, 11:04 PM

Carla, great to hear you are having a wonderful time.

Can't wait to read your review.

Tom
Old 08-20-2005, 07:00 AM

Hi Carla,
We missed you around here. Your "cliff notes" review has whet my appetite and I am anxious to hear all the details!!!

Glad you had such a good time (I forgot about the Texas factor - but you made me chuckle remembering my last cruise from there).

Hmm, I can't say I have ever thought too much about the funnel, other than when they have spewn black soot onto the fantail deck below - but now that you mention it. The Carnvial funnel is certainly distinctive (and a bit ominous).

Welcome home!
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-20-2005, 03:34 PM

Thank you Carla,
You made my day!! Not only was I laughing and nodding in agreement, but I read your post outloud to my family and they got a big kick out of it too. (kick is a texan word I know, but its okay 'cause that's where I am from) I am waiting with anticipation for the review. You go girl!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:28 PM

How Funny! Texas is its own country right! We lived there a while and loved it though.
The funnel.....Hum..........I thinks it really ugly and not very classy looking but I guess I did not really pay much attention to it.
Can't wait to read your review.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 08-21-2005, 09:25 PM

What a great time we just had. Debarkation took FOUR HOURS but that was the fault of Customs, I guess. I will never sail from Galveston again for a list of reasons that I will follow up on soon.

CCL is great. Nothing downmarket about it. You know how some cruises have some pax representing the very high end demographic, and then some at the lowest rung? This last cruise had no high and no low, just a solid cross section of... the middle class. No snobby attitudes, no nouveau riche poseurs, no people throwing their weight around, and yet- no missing links.

Okay, I am swaying from side to side, and walking through the airport I kept thinking I was going to fall over. Whatever it is, it's back!

Sharpy- the Texans were FINE. One great thing is that the cruise actually had some black and hispanic people on it for a change. Houston has a huge minority population, and it was very nice to see some diversity. There was a large group of gospel singers from Houston and they were HILARIOUS, not to mention GREAT singers and dnacers. They stole the talent show.

Okay, I will write my review tomorrow!

Carla
Old 08-21-2005, 09:48 PM

Carla, I can't believe that I am going to be gone and will not be the first one to read it. I am going to alert my son Andy to post it immediately and then to let folks know that he has done so. It sounds like it was a great cruise.

Tom
Old 08-22-2005, 06:41 AM

Tom- I can't believe you are going to be gone, either. I have some questions!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:06 AM

About the Funnel. Maybe Carnival was smart to distinquish themselves by it. Cruisers remember it. I know I do, I took several flights to get to San Juan a few weeks after 911 to go on the Holiday. It was booked and paid for, I can only say I was scared from the flights and being off the Mainland, in a foreign speaking place. Going over a bridge to the port I saw the Funnel. I was never so glad to see anything in my life. Several cruises and years later now I am still the same way. When I see that Funnel it is a relief from driving and stress and work.
I know I am moments away from hearing the words "Welcome Aboard".

A different prespective.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
avatar, carnival, cruise, funnel, liberty, lines, pictures, ships, sunning