Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I am impressed with what Carnival is offering for those who are being put out. That would probably satisfy me. Not much you can do about a mechanical failure, except maybe practice better maintenance but even then, nothing is perfect.

I hope I don't see a lot of complaining from the passengers regarding this.
I am not sure I would be happy. Not all days are equal. The 15%+- might not even cover the days lodging you had to incurr. I don't think anyone should lose money.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Banned

Hi Guys!

I just got home from my Pride trip. We were told of propulsion difficulty when we arrived at Long Beach terminal around noon on Sunday. Some received phone calls on Friday when the problem was first diagnosed on board.

So, you poor guys had to suffer through with a FREE John Tesh concert? Was it in the Taj Mahal?

Anyway.... Carnival support was very helpful. On Monday, we were bused over to the San Pedro Terminal. Waiting in line for buses to take us to San Pedro was not well organized. It was hot in LA last weekend and some people were disabled and elderly. No wheelchairs available waiting outside in the parking lots for hired buses. They tried to get the disabled/elderly over to the terminal first. We had to buy our own bottled waters and sodas outside.

We were told to save all of our receipts for reimbursements. They were more than willing to put us up at any one of about 10 hotels in Long Beach. We chose the Hyatt on the advice of a Carnival employee who was guiding us through this disaster of a day. On our way to the Hyatt our taxi driver informed us that he just took a husband and wife, traveling with their young daughter to Disneyland as an option of sitting in a hotel room in Long Beach. We had just spent 2 full days in LA sightseeing and we had had enough. We have 2 daughters and thought it would be great for them. I called the 800 number for Carnival and a woman answered most of my questions. They said, no problem we'll pay, and the taxi driver took us to Disney.

This whole propulsion problem threw everyone into a tail spin. We were told everyone, including CEO's, CFO's, etc., etc., was working in the Miami headquarters on this all weekend. This cost them more than it cost all of us cruisers, believe me. We received a $200 PP refund at the end of the cruise. We also received $50 PP on board charge credit for anything we wanted. They gave us back 15% of the cruise fee and we now have a 25% discount on a future cruise (to be used within a year). I think the entire cruise cost us approx. $400 w/out liquor. Not too shabby huh?

I can't speak about P.Vallarta. But, in Mazatlan we were completely hounded on the beaches by vendors selling you everything but the kitchen sink. It was non-stop selling and begging. It didn't let up the entire 4 hours we spent on the beach. Some even had their children begging us to buy. One little girl was crying and we're not really sure if her mother put her up to it. The beaches in Mazatlan were magnificent. I bought a beautiful straw basket and jewelry. I will say we did get some beautiful silver jewelry on the beach. All was stamped .925 or .950. I would never step foot in Diamonds International. I've heard more horror stories about them. Biggest rip off there is. The golden zone is okay. Not really sure about all of the hype. I think the best bargains by far were on the beach (if you can stand being hounded) and in the arts and crafts center where the ship's train taxi (for lack of a better word) lets you off. BTW... Do not be persuaded by anyone to take a "tour". It ends up being a 3 hour speech about time-share condos. So many people on our cruise were taken. They lost their whole day in Mazatlan listening to a time-share speech. Yeah, okay, they ply you with liquor, but you miss any time at the beaches or excursions. They are holding up cards in the arts and crafts center and, at first, you think you're getting a great deal on a tour. They'll tell you that they will even pay for your taxi to the golden zone. Don't believe it. Once you're in the taxi, your theirs for the day. We finally said to a man in an authoritive uniform, "we just want a taxi to the beach, that's it"! As for the merchants in the arts and crafts center and on the beach, they will barter with you. A silver bracelet that started off for a whopping $45 came down to $8 bucks pretty darn quick. Don't be afraid to barter. They expect it. Do not wait until Cabo to buy souveniors. They WILL NOT barter on anything and prices are extremely high on everything. It's a rich port and they don't need the American dollar as much as the people of Mazatlan do.

Loved the ship, its layout, the food in the dining room. My only gripe was the staff is not as friendly as we've had on our previous cruises. Did not care for the hotel director or the cruise director. Too many "seeing whales" at the buffet jokes. It got old... fast. Also, we brought on one bottle of champagne and 1 bottle of red wine for our anniversary. They uncorked our wine with no corkage fee whatsoever.

Hope this helps and if anyone wants to ask me any other questions, feel free.

Oh, the whales and sea lions in the Pacific were just amazing!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Hi Andrea: Glad you had a good time. I said I would leave you some scraps...sorry we tore up the ship..tee hee...wild party goers ya know. I also thought the decor was the most beautiful ship I have ever seen. I too wasn't impressed with the director at all..not Carnivals best for sure. If they could just hook up the best director with that ship it would be awesome. One thing Carnival has GOT to get a handle on and that is NOT pushing "Diamonds International" etc.on board. Its like they have a stake in their business and do no favors for the their own guest who believe what Carnival says. And now time share people are hooked into your cruise on board. Seems like Carnival once again is getting away from their guest and cater to these outside business. You get on ship and right off the bat are enticed to a vacation plan presentaton with a gift. (fancy word for time share presentation) I found a new sight to check out any ships health before you get on. They have all the reports good and bad. It is http://www.cdc.gov/travel/cruiships.htm. Good information there...B
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 02-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Banned

Hi baby doll. Cruising is BIG business, especially to Diamonds Intl. It's very political between the cruise ships docking in port and D.I. There's a lot of politicking going on. I went to the shopper's meeting in the Taj Mahal to hear the "shopper's expert", Sean, talk about all of the port shopping. I thought I would go just for laughs because they were giving away a diamond bracelet and a free piece of jewelry for anyone who attended. I couldn't stop laughing the entire time. I got there late, (too busy sunning on deck) so I was seated in the back on a stool. The room was totally full. Stupid women and their sucker husbands listening to this guys rattle off all of these "great deals not to be missed" with jewelry shopping in ports.

Do women REALLY think that jewelry stores in port haven't figured out that American's have $$ PLEASE.... Women in the Taj were hanging onto his every word, making pencil marks on their information papers, oohing and ahhing. It was the best show I saw the entire week we were there.

We were told by the hotel director that Pride is rated #2 in the current standings for the Carnival fleet. The Paradise (non-smoking) is rated #1. I find it hard to believe that Pride is #2. The excursion director told us he "was not familiar" with one of the snorkeling excursions we wanted to take in Cabo. Come on! Even our dining room waiter and his assistant weren't overly friendly. We have had much better service on previous cruises. We weren't asking for much. I know these employees are worked like mules. But, a smile and a... "where are you from?" would have been nice at our first dinner evening. Did not see any of that. The maitre 'd made his obligatory stop at our table two nights before we arrived back at Long Beach. He was our best friend for a whole 6 minutes. We're guessing he was looking for his cut on final dinner night. Edgar was our cabin steward in Room # 5237. Very friendly guy. It was his first cruise. Room was always clean and stocked with towels,soap, t.p. etc,. We didn't have to ring him for anything. Balconies are sweet! I'm hooked now. We slept with our door open every night except last night at sea. Heading back into LA waters the air was cold. The pool areas are very nice. I like the fact that you don't have to climb down into the pools. The best part for me was finding the spa/gym area. Many people don't utilize it because they won't walk through the spa area to access it. No kids go in there. The whirlpool, steam room, sauna and relaxation room are to die for. At home I would spend a fortune for these amenities. Here, they're free.

All in all, I enjoyed the cruise and the ports. Since we flew in from NY the time change really threw us the entire week. I don't think we ever really adjusted. The Pacific is beautiful. But, I'm still partial to the Caribbean. Still can't beat the snorkeling in Cozumel. Oh, well... at least now I have my husband thinking we NEED to use this 25% off discount in the next year. So, we'll be cruising sooner than we expected. It might be a 3 to 4 day out of NYC port. We haven't done that one yet and it's in our own backyard!!! So much cruising... so little time.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:02 PM

Thanks for this info! I've heard the same thing about the maitre 'd from lots of other folks..... I don't mind tipping at all, and well, but only if someone is worthy...

Old 02-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Banned

Islandman... save your $$ You'll see what I mean when you get back home. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Banned

Islandman,
I forgot to mention... There is an air of sarcasm about him that I can't describe. You will see what I'm talking about. He's tall, dark and handsome and he knows it!

Closed Thread

Tags
2004, cabo, carnival, catalina, dennis, failure, holland, lucas, mazatlan, mechanical, miss, pride, problems, puerto, sail, san, suffering, vallarta