Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 04:22 PM

Just spoke to someone from Carnival and I was told that the cabins facing the very aft are windy. He said the wind comes right around the back. Thinking more along the lines of a side mid ship balcony. Any input? Also any pictures of cat 11 suites.
Thanks
Leigh

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 10-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Actually I've never had an issue with wind on the balcony cabins on the stern of the ship (aka, the aft-facing balconies). In fact, they are usually the most usable balconies for the very reason of not being buffeted by wind....which can often affect balconies along the sides of the vessel. The wind does not whip around the back in my experience. It is usually quite calm. Just go stand on the back of the ship on another deck and see how the winds are. It is no different for the balcony cabins on the decks below you.

One thing that can be a small problem is ash from the stack coming down during the night (usually the time they blow out the soot from the stack) and being on the balcony and furniture the following morning. But it has never bothered me that much. I prefer the stern balcony cabins!

In my personal opinion, the person from Carnival who talked to you doesn't know what they are talking about.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:43 PM

I'm with Dave on this one. The aft cabins that actually face to the rear are probably among the most desirable on the ships. You'll notice on a lot of lines they build many of their nicest suites in that location. I think whoever you spoke with had a communication error or was simply mis-informed. The balconies there are often larger and some provide a 180 degree view so what ever side you're approaching your ports from and leaving from you have great views and picture oppty's. If you have the chance to grab one at the same cost as other side cabins I'd take it.

The only drawback I can think of is if you have motion issues you will feel more motion at both the (fore or bow) front aand (aft or stern) back of any ship.

Cheers, Neil
Old 10-22-2007, 07:46 PM

I agree with Dave and Neil. These cabins are excellent choices. Have not personally had one, but everyone I know that has, has loved it. There will be more up and down movement than a mid-ship cabin though, if that is a concern. I have had people mention seeing some ash. They said it was a small issue for the excellent view.

Dwayne
Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Thanks guys for that info. Any suggestions on a choice cabin, We are on the Freedom in Nov so maybe I can get on the ship early and sneak a peak at the cabins, and Dave I will make sure I do what you suggested...smart thinking. I'm not concerned about the ash at all, I am a little on the motion. I did change my daughters cabin to midship, centre and I put a hold on the suite #7330 directly across, although it is substantially higher in price than the cabin #7447. Would it be better to get the corner cabin #7440, cabin is the same size but balcony is quite alot larger. Maybe the guy told me it was windy so I would take the suite
Thanks so much
Leigh

TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 AM

Leigh - If I am not mistaken, the cabins you described are the Cat. 9 Cabins. Because they are on a corner, you get more windows, the room is larger than a standard balcony room and you get a great balcony. Below is a photo of the balcony on a Conquest Class Ship - your balcony would be identical.
I did not notice any excessive wind, in fact, I felt like there was not much at all. I also never had a problem with ash. I had kinda expected it because I have heard mention of it here, but - nope - none to speak of on our balcony. Maybe it was just my trip

Hope this helps.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/137...48089317huUImN

St. Maarten Hotels & Resorts

2003 Carnival Victory - Western
2004 Carnival Celebration
2005 Carnival Glory - Western
2006 Carnival Glory - Eastern
2007 Carnival Liberty - Western
2008 Star Princess - Alaska
Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 AM

Cruizinallthetime
OMG I want your balcony. A little confused when looking at the balcony, it looks like there is a door is this to the balcony on the side?, and the other end would look into the 1st of the aft cabins? you are right on the privacy level and that is where we are booked 7447 think I am going to try to change it NOW, this is a 9A cat if I'm not mistaken. The balcony looks GREAT, is the cabin itself larger? again the guy from Carnival told me it was same size 185 sq ft..... and who cares about the soot and the motion... wouldn't be a cruise without any motion. I just can't get over the view. You have made my decision and think you may have saved me a little cash at the same time. Thankyou, thankyou.
Leigh

TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Leigh - The balcony photo is not of the balcony room we had on the Liberty - we were on the back of the ship...yes, but we didn't get that great room. The balcony photo is a webshot photo of the balcony for a room like 7447.
Stay with Cat 9A - that is the one with the balcony like the photo.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 AM

Leigh - These two photos show the Cat 9A cabin # 7447 on the Glory which should be exactly the same for the Conquest, Liberty, Freedom and Valor.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/108...40556309uZUiuU

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/109...40556309jGpcUB

Hope this helps - I hope I am not confusing you.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks, looks really good, I went through all your pictures, you have some nice balcony shots. I did notice that deck 7 is slightly different than deck 8 balcony doesn't extend as long down the side, if you look at the ship photo with all the aft cabins you will see what I mean. So while you are on your balcony you can look straight back without being too close to the neighbor? I did notice that the 1st aft cabin is not private at all. Maybe a middle aft would be a little better if I can't get a corner wrap around. I still have a hard time believing that the balcony is only 75 sq. ft. maybe it is just narrow.If you look at the deck plans cabin 7434 has a 75 sq. ft balcony. Thanks so much for ALL your pics & help.
Leigh

TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Closed Thread

Tags
7447, aft, back, balcony, cabin, carnival, destiny, fascination, freedom, liberty, pics, reviews, rooms, ship, side, stern