Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 AM
The itenery of this ship looks like it picks up new passengers at both San Juan and Barbados. We are sailing for a full 7 days will we have to do boat drill 2 times? I hate Boat Drill. Any body know how this works?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM
I never heard of a cruise that picks-up more passengers after it embarked the first time. I suppose that happens. I know that it happens with the hired staff(especially the entertainment: I heard the stand-up comedians often leave the ship at ports of call, while another comedian takes their place at the same port).

I don't know how that will work in terms of the lifeboat drill. Hopefully, in that case, the crew will conduct a life boat drill only for those passengers that embarked in the ports of call.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 AM

Hi CruiseDad, not sure how Carnival handles it. We've been on 2 Princess cruises that were 14 day and had a leg in Barbados that some passengers disembarked and some that embarked. We only had 1 muster for the entire 14 days. I would think Carnival would do the same thing, but am not positive.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 PM

Hi CruiseDad, Have been told before that the passengers that embark at San Juan only do the drill once. Someone asked me this a while back and I called and asked. So I am not positive of the current method, but that was how it used to be done.

Ya know, Casanova Frakenstein recently sailed on the Destiny. Hopefully he will see this. Great question.

Dwayne
Old 09-24-2007, 01:33 PM

Well, isn't the muster drill a US Coast Guard requirement? So maybe since they are not departing from the US, they don't need to run the drill?

Interesting question though and my two daughters HATE the drill and it would kill them to have to do it more than once.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Ok here is how it works;

You will only have to do the drill when you left San Juan during sunday at 9:30 pm, after that the ship sails at 10:00 pm so is only half hour of torture.
LOL

Just a note
Go to walgreens and please buy one of those mini hand electric fans the drill is outside so many people and the hot tropical weather you will really need it I use it on my last cruise with the carnival Destiny it works!!

For the people on Barbados they board ship during the day and yes they make a boat drill but is only for them and remember most people, at the time they are making the drill, are outside enjoy the Barbados tours so is no problem I remember seen them boarding but they are only a few passengers so is not big deal...
Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Casanova frankenstein:
Ok here is how it works;

You will only have to do the drill when you left San Juan during sunday at 9:30 pm, after that the ship sails at 10:00 pm so is only half hour of torture.
LOL

Just a note
Go to walgreens and please buy one of those mini hand electric fans the drill is outside so many people and the hot tropical weather you will really need it I use it on my last cruise with the carnival Destiny it works!!

For the people on Barbados they board ship during the day and yes they make a boat drill but is only for them and remember most people, at the time they are making the drill, are outside enjoy the Barbados tours so is no problem I remember seen them boarding but they are only a few passengers so is not big deal...
I got a personal response from a crew member on the Destiny. He says there is only 1 Boat Drill, sometimes they practice stuff which may be what Casonova Frankenstien was seeing in Barbados. But good news not only for passsengers but also the crew who also hate boat drills.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 PM
I supposse it has to be some kind of practice then... my bad
Remember that I was only a little time on the ship mostly I was enjoying Barbados but I really remember some kind of practice and they were checking the boats ect. when I arrive to the port, so I figured it was the boat drill I guess I was wrong then ...
Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 PM

I had never thought about it. We were on the Zaandam out of Vancouver and had the drill. In Skagway we lost about 250 people to the land tour and picked up 250 that were completing their land tour. There was not another drill.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:27 AM

I love the life boat drill. It signals the offical start of the cruise. It also means the champagne is on ice and the troubles of the world have been left in a suitcase on the dock.
I actually take it quite seriously. I belong to the "it could happen to me" and not the "that will never happen to me" crowd. I am the same with the airline safety preamble. I pay close attention to the location of the exits.

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, destiny, drill, safety, ship