Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 AM

I'm finally getting to go on my first cruise.
We are leaving out of New Orleans on the Triumph. It's a 5 night. We are stopping at Progreso and Cozumel. One question is, if we just want to walk around the town and go to the beach, should we sign up for it through the ship, or just do it on our own? Is the age 18 or 21 to be in the bar?
Any recommendations what to do at each of these ports? Any other info is greatly appreciated. I've been waiting for this cruise for a very long time.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:19 AM

I know we can just go to town. But should we sign up to go to the Beach Outings or is it easy to just go to the beach?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 AM

Hi, welcome.

Seeing as how it's your first cruise, my recommendation would be to book excursions through the cruse line, as you are not familiar with the ports.

I don't know about Carnival, but on Royal Caribbean, you have to be 21 to drink, and at least 1 person in each stateroom must be 21. Ages 18-20 were allowed to walk through a bar or lounge only if they had to in order to get to a theater where a show was.

In Cozumel, I have heard good recommendations about Paradise Beach. If you use the search feature in the "Caribbean Ports of Call" section, you can probably find information on Paradise Beach. It's easy to get to by taxi, and there are plenty of them at the piers in Cozumel. I haven't been to Progreso, so I can't offer any suggestions on there.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Long Time, I've been on many cruises to Mexico and the Caribbean. If your not familiar with going to foreign countries, than I suggest you use the tours and excursions from the ship. I suggest this for several reasons. 1. SAFETY..On a ship excursion,they are responsible for you and the ship will not leave port without you. If you go out on your own and are not back by the time the ship leaves...your stuck like chuck!! 2.In all ports, there are plenty of hustlers just waiting to take advantage of the unsuspecting traveler. I've seen it happen a bunch of times. Get in the wrong cab and before you know it your having a very bad day! 3. The ship tours and excursion are a little pricey but they are reputable AND you still get to see the area. A van or bus meets you at the ship, takes you to where you chose and brings you back. It's just a safer way to LEARN about other countries. At least for your first cruise,this is my suggestion for you.
I go out on my own all the time, I very rarely go on a ship excursion,but, I been on 20+ cruises , to every island in the Caribbean and I have experienced what to do and what not to do. Whatever you decide, be careful and have a Great Cruise.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:33 PM

I agree if it is your first cruise to take the excursions. One we loved in Cozumel was the Catameran Fury snorkel and beach. You got to see the island from the water, do a little snorkeling, enjoy the beach a little while and still have time to shop at the port. We have been to Cozumel several times and feel pretty safe there if you chose to take a taxi to the beach or into town to shop, eat, etc. As for Progreso, you will dock at a long pier where you can take a shuttle bus into town. We felt safe there as well. You can walk along the street which parallels the water and beaches. They offer massages on the beach, chair rental, etc. We didn't take an excursion at Progreso, but I have heard the ruins there are great. There was also a double decker bus you could ride around town for a couple of bucks. Whatever you decide, be careful and have fun. If you are like us, you will be hooked after your first cruise!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:36 PM

We just came back from Triumph cruise out of New Orleans on 2/6. Carnival advised for Progreso to take a tour off the ship. I can also vouch for this as we have been to Progreso 3 times. It is kind of scary to walk around in their downtown area. The flea market especially. This trip we just got off and went to the shopping area right there at the terminal area. We have done the Corona Beach Break - waste of money as drinks are watered down and the beers are about 10 oz. Our daughter and her friends that went did the Resort Deluxe Beach Break and really liked it. Good service, Good food, Good Drinks.
In Cozumel, we docked at Puerto Maya which has a very nice shopping area with a lot of the same shops that are downtown - be advised a lot of the shops in the port area will bargain. Taxi from this area to downtown is $7 and that was for 2 of us. There are guys on little bike type taxi (for lack of better word) that will take you to end of pier - and to taxi stand - for tips only. If you use them, they will usually watch for you when you come back and will ask if you want ride back to ship.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:54 PM

On our first trip to Cozumel we did a ship excursion - swimming with the dolphins - we loved it, but it was expensive. On our second cruise I did my research first and found info on Paradise beach - you only have to spend $10 on food for each person, it is very clean and the food was great! On our cruise this summer, we are going back to Paradise Beach. For the price of a cab and the food it is a fun day. We were back long before the ship sailed. The link to Paradise beach is here
2010 Carnival Conquest (June)
Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 PM

Thanks to everyone for the information!!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
20, ages, beach, carnival, cozumel, cruise, easty, excursions, line, massages, orleans, progreso, progressive, questions, ship, sign, triumph