Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 10:17 AM

My husband and I are taking our first cruise. We are both the type of people that live in Jeans & t-shirts. What is the norm for a Carnival Cruise. I know we need to dress nice one night at dinner. Would colored nice jeans with nice sweater work for some dinners?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:31 AM

While the cruise lines prefer you not wear shorts and jeans to dinner in the dining room, you will see people wearing jeans. It's not likely they will say anything if you have nice jeans and a nice sweater. You will see people dressing from very casual to those who really like to dress up in the sequin dresses/tuxs. Also a shorter cruise tends to be more casual than a seven day cruise.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:35 PM

If you wear jeans and a sweater on your cruise you will not need to worry about the reactions of others- you will be in the infirmary with heat stroke. Plan on wearing bathing suits, shorts and t shirts during the day, and get a skirt or a sundress for you and a pair of Dockers and a polo shirt for him to wear at night.

I just cruised with my sons, one of whom has hair halfway down his back and alllll of whom consider khakis and a polo shirt to be high punishment. They not only survived but actually enjoyed dressing like that. Then, after dinner, take the offending garments off, hang 'em up, and use them again the next night! In the buffet restaurant you can wear what you want all the time.

Also, I wear shorts in the main dining room at breakfast when we are about to go ashore- on my last cruise I did, anyway. I had too much to worry about without stressing that one. At dinner you will probably feel a little wierd if you are wearing jeans, not to mention the fact that you stand a 90% chance of having the maitre d' say something to you. Why risk it? Better to get bounced for doing something really fun like getting into a fist fight or throwing a beer bottle .

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2006, 12:44 PM

We are only doing the 5 night cruise. Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find summer clothes and am unable to find any.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
While the cruise lines prefer you not wear shorts and jeans to dinner in the dining room, you will see people wearing jeans. It's not likely they will say anything if you have nice jeans and a nice sweater. You will see people dressing from very casual to those who really like to dress up in the sequin dresses/tuxs. Also a shorter cruise tends to be more casual than a seven day cruise.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Administrator

dmw,

The unofficial Carnival passenger uniform is t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops. On the casual nights a pair of colored jeans and any non t-shirt top will be fine. Shorts are not okay at dinner, but shorts and t-shirts are acceptable for breakfast and lunch seatings.....we always have shorts on for the morning and afternoon.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:10 PM

DMW,
Since you asked about dinner, the air conditioning in the main dining room can be quite chilly. So a light sweater or long sleeves is not silly at all. I guess that would depend on you. As Dave and I mentioned shorts are not ok at dinner in the main dining room. Yes, for breakfast and lunch. I have never seen a Maitre'd ask anyone to leave that wore jeans. Even on Celebrity once I saw someone wear shorts to dinner and the Maitre'd didn't ask the person to leave.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:42 PM

I have seen a guy in cut-off jeans and T-shirt during the Capt's Dinner on a RC cruise!! Everyone else at his table were in formal dresses & tuxes.. They did not ask him to leave... The guy MUST have lost clothes or was a total idiot.. But he stayed thru-out the entire dinner.. I've done 16 cruises and have never seen that before and hopefully never will..

01. 1987 Mardi Gras
02. 1988 Emerald Seas
03. 1989 Veracruz
04. 1990 Mardi Gras
05. 1993 Fantasy
06. 1996 Ecstasy
07. 1998 Tropicale
08. 2000 Imagination
09. 2001 Jubilee
10. 2002 Jubilee
11. 2003 Sensation
12. 2004 Destiny (Mar)
13. 2004 Sensation (Apr-May)
14. 2005 Splendour of the Seas (Mar)
15. 2005 Inspiration (May)
16. 2005 Inspiration (Oct)
17. 2006 Inspiration (Mar)
18. 2006 Miracle (May)
19. 2007 Imagination
20. 2008 Sensation
21. 2009 Sensation
Old 01-16-2006, 06:28 PM

HAHA! I bet the guy dressed like that on a dare. Actually, I think that is pretty funny!
Old 01-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Administrator

The only time in recent years I have seen anyone turned away from the dining room for wearing jeans at dinner was this past summer on Norwegian Majesty. Even Freestyle has its limits. In the end, it is up to the Maitre d'.

Yet, the Carnival literature clearly does not exclude jeans from the evening dining room guidelines. T-shirts are excluded, but jeans are not, at least not on non-formal evenings.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:56 AM

Okay, just saw two guys get turned away on Carnival last summer. You should have seen them: two guys, in their sixties, ZZ Top- looking grey beards, long hair, baggy jeans, and T Shirts announcing a family reunion. They were with an older guy in a wheelchair and a couple of females. By the second night I have to admit that even I was pretty turned off. Night three, maitre d' says something, off they go. Night four? They looked GREAT! Button down shirts, some kind of non-jeans... Everyone was smiling and nodding at them, waiters made a special deal, etc. Turns out that they were bikers who are also big time foster parents and have some non profit agency that helps kids... can't remember exactly. Awesome people, FWIW.

Closed Thread

Tags
attire, carnival, cruise, cruises, jeans, maitre, norm, tops, zz