Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 09:31 PM

Has anyone recently departed from New Orleans? Departing 1/27/07 on Fantasy just wondering about this ports recovery.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

We sailed out of New Orleans on December 21st on a 4 day that returned on Christmas. The French Quarter looks like it was never touched...because basically it wasn't. It was the highest ground.

The new terminal is fabulous. It was a DOWNPOUR when we drove out of the garage at the Holiday Inn on Royal where we stayed. When we arrived at the new terminal, we turned to the right into the parking garage. We pulled into a lane where the porters were waiting. (completely covered) We unloaded our luggage, gave them their tip and parked on level 5 (still covered) then took the elevator down to level 2. All during this downpour and we did not get one drop of rain on us~~~!!!

Parking is $14.00 a night.

The Riverwalk is open. They do run on a shorter schedule. We were there on a Wednesday night and everything was closing up around 5:30pm.

However, the French Quarter itself was still in full swing. We did not venture out because we have family from there and have done all that 1,000 times.

There were all kinds of places to eat...Subway, etc around the hotel. There was a restaurant and a bar in the hotel.

All the hotels in that area are in full swing.

Do be careful though because the crime has returned as the population comes back.

Loved the Fantasy. We had a great time. The Assistant CD is a friend of ours. He is a hoot.
Big Tex is the CD and is wonderful.

Allen is a Social Host that is a cutie!!

The current piano player will be gone by then, so I don't know who will be doing piano bar duties.

They did not have a "karaoke host" (social hosts were filling in) when we were there, but Noonan told me that Stephanie was going to be there after Christmas...so she should be onboard now. Warning...the pitch control on their karaoke player is not working. So if you are pitch dependent (like me) and you have your own cdgs ...bring them (their selection is limited as well). If you need them pitched...you can probably get away with those songs that only need to be up or down 2...anything past that will be a stretch.

Have a great cruise!!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the information. We will be coming with a group of 50 on a motorcoach. So I don't have to worry about parking the bus. One of our group runs a karaoke business, I'll tell him what you said. I can't carry a tune regardless so my only singing will be in the shower. What time did they allow boarding? We are planning on arriving 12:30 PM. Any suggestions on what to do at Costa Maya. We have been to Cozumel many times. I just love being any where warm in January. This is our 14th year of cruising, 4th time out of New Orleans.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sharvey:
Thanks for the information. We will be coming with a group of 50 on a motorcoach. So I don't have to worry about parking the bus. One of our group runs a karaoke business, I'll tell him what you said. I can't carry a tune regardless so my only singing will be in the shower. What time did they allow boarding? We are planning on arriving 12:30 PM. Any suggestions on what to do at Costa Maya. We have been to Cozumel many times. I just love being any where warm in January. This is our 14th year of cruising, 4th time out of New Orleans.
Costa Maya is a great "beach day" or "pool day".

They have a huge pool right at the pier with a swim up bar. Lots of stores around it.

And/or you can pay $3 per person each way to go "downtown". (what an oxymoron) Main Street is sand!! But it is neat little village with some interesting bars and restaurants.

We felt very safe. However, because of the riptides and rough water, this port is missed many times because the ship is not able to dock. So don't be disappointed if that happens.

We had a wonderful time there. There is little tram that is free that will transport you from the ship down the pier to the little shops...or you can walk.

If your friend is pitch dependent like I am, he may want to have his CDGs keyed before he goes.

I LOVE karaoke and I must have my songs in just the right key. So I have found someone who will convert them over for me...as long as I own the original cdgs.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 AM

they got a nice new port of entry. thanks to hurricane katrina
Old 01-08-2007, 12:36 PM

This is great to know!

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, fantasy, orleans