Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 08:45 AM

Hi there. I'm a single dad, about to surprise his daughters with a cruise on 4/8/06. I am looking for any advise on how to prepare and what to avoid.

Help!!!!!!!!

How friendly are the people on these cruises? Do I have to be very outgoing to get someone to talk with me?
Old 02-24-2006, 09:21 AM

I certainly should hope not. I have always found cruises to be one of the friendliest, safe way to travel there is. There is just something about being on a cruise ship that people open up where they don't on a land vacation.
As far as tips you will find alot of advise just by reading through some of these threads. You will get a daily bulletin in your cabin everyday that will tell you the times and where all the activities are happening. It will also tell you the times the different restaurants are serving. The bulletin, (Carnival Capers on CCL) will also tell you when they are having port talks, and important talks about debarkation. When you first get on the ship get a map and familiarize yourself where everything is on the ship. Explore every public area. You would be surprised how some people don't realize until 1/2 way through the cruise that there's more to the buffet area that just by the outside Lido area. Look all around. You will need shorts and jeans, casual dress for daytime, dressier for night (slacks,polos,suit for formal night, or sport coat, dresses, pantsuits. Although there is a wide variety of dress on formal night from sequin dresses and tuxs, to dockers and sports coat. Enjoy the food. Order as much as you want. Don't be afraid to tell your waiter if something isn't cooked properly or you would like something else instead. Your wait staff and cabin steward work hard long hours. The recomended gratuities are automatically put on your onboard account. But it is greatly appreciated if you recognize them with some additional. While most things will be charged on the ship to your account, you will want to take small denominations of money for taxis and baggage tipping.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
what Itinery and ship are you on we are on the ecstasy 4/8 and have a young teen girl how old is your daughter???
Old 02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
oh and we all are single!!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:57 PM

I recommend the girls go to the kids club right away to make friends. On our first cruise our girls did not go and stuck together the whole trip. They had fun but they would've had more fun if they made friends.

Do all the activities, and get the foutain card. Well, it was better for us since our girls enjoyed it. Beware of the smothies, they are not included (Carnival).

You will end up with great pictures so on formal night take advantage of as many poses and backgrounds as you can and then you have more choices to pick from. I am sure that by the time your are done, you might have a big gill; we always do.

I felt pretty safe on the boat but you might want to get some walkie-talkies to be able to talk to them at all times.

What is your itinerary?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:34 AM

Athos1566,

welcome to Cruise-Chat.com!

I'm sure cruising is in excellent way for you to spend your vacation time. I usually travel by myself, and despite the fact that English is not even a mother tongue of mine, I've never had any problems whatsoever meeting great people, enjoying nice conversations and making new friends.

Take a look at the following articles for single cruisers (and single parents!) by fellow CC Administrator Nancy Norris:

http://www.cruisereviews.com/NancyNorris.htm

Enjoy your first cruise - but be warned: cruising is addictive!

Raoul Fiebig

Old 02-25-2006, 07:39 AM

Thank you for the info. I do not mind telling you that I am a bit nervous about this. Excited, yes, but nervous too. Right now we plan to leave Jacksonville, on April 8th. We go to Key West then to the Bahamas. I am still trying to decide what activities the girls and I should do.

Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:23 AM

You will hav ehte time of your life. Do get your girls familiar with the youth club. they do so much and kepp them buzy. Make sur you visit The Atlantis hotel and look around there. you will need to take a taxi. it costs $4.oo per person. Taxi are waiting right there at port.To thw right of the Atlantis maybe one hotel past to the right there is a beautiful public beach. The cleanest and clearest you will ever see. Enjoy! many great shows. Your girls might like them too. the midnight one is x rated.ther is 2 earlier one which are fine. They are the highlight of the night. 24 hrs of pizza and ice-cream cones. make sur to hit the 11:00-12:00 night buffet. Depending one the age of your girls, they have ther own night club for teens.12-17yrs. old. Any way i could go on forever. Trust me once you get onthe ship you will be pampered and spoiled.
Bon voyage
Jackie from Canada

Closed Thread