Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 03:21 PM

Does anyone have experience cruising with Carnival and requesting gluten free dining options. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Lisa B
Old 07-07-2007, 03:28 PM

There is a special needs form that will need to be filled out and faxed to Carnival at the time of the booking. You simply fill out what special needs exist and they handle any special dietary or other requirements during your cruise. I have had many gluten intolerant clients and have never had a single issue once the form is sent.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-07-2007, 03:29 PM

By the way, welcome to Cruise-Chat.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the info and the welcome - when I made the booking I advised Carnival of our requirement but I would be interested to also hear from Celiacs as to what accomodations were actually made for them and if they encountered issues with cross-contamination with gluten products.

Best,

Lisa
Old 07-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Gluten free??
You are a vegetarian right?? my wife too..
Well I believe thatís going to be a problem for all I know they made special diet for diabetics but about gluten free I believe they donítÖ
Old 07-07-2007, 06:32 PM

Gluten free is not vegetarian (although you could be by choice) - Celiac Disease is an autoimmune condition caused by allergy to wheat, barley, rye and oats. The gluten in those products cause tears in the gut which can lead to osteperosis, lymphoma and other illnesses. Cross-contamination is a huge issue for sufferers - even a minute amount is off limits for life. Carnival did tell me that they can accomodate it by special breads and advise on selections but I was hoping some Celiac sufferers could advise on their actual experience onboard.

Lisa
Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 PM

Lisa, I am not affected by the condition. I am very familliar with it, only through clients who have booked cruises. I am an agent for one of those online mega-booking agencies. I have had a number of clients with the same condition. The process is different with each cruiseline but Carnival has a very good program for special needs of all kinds. I'm assuming since you aparently booked direct they have sent you the special needs form. Fill it out in detail. They go to special lengths to assure you won't have any problems with your dietary needs or cross contamination.

I don't know if there are some on this forum with the same condition, I doubt it, it's relatively rare. I can only speak from second hand information but I've never had a single issue with Carnival or any other line with the dietary requests. There are many many issues they have to deal with on a very regular basis. Seafood and peanut alergies, some life threatening in severity. Many don't realize that with a peanut alergy, just foods cooked in peanut oil can be fatal. Same with Celiac Desease if it's severe and the wrong bread is served. I can't say issues have never happened with the cruiselines and such special needs but I've had very good results with their Special Needs Dept handling each issue seriously and the ship staff also taking the preparation and serving seriously.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa B:
Gluten free is not vegetarian (although you could be by choice) - Celiac Disease is an autoimmune condition caused by allergy to wheat, barley, rye and oats. The gluten in those products cause tears in the gut which can lead to osteperosis, lymphoma and other illnesses. Cross-contamination is a huge issue for sufferers - even a minute amount is off limits for life. Carnival did tell me that they can accomodate it by special breads and advise on selections but I was hoping some Celiac sufferers could advise on their actual experience onboard.

Lisa
Nice to know thanks I always consider it to be a food just for vegetarians, my wife always tell me that gluten was bad for me, but at last I will know why... thanks again
Old 07-08-2007, 12:03 AM

Interesting to know about the form - the agent didn't offer to send me one but did say she noted that my son had special food considerations. She mentioned that this information would be passed to the medical staff on board who whould notify the kitchen/maitre d' of the requirement. I will check with Carnival again to enquire re form.

She noted that this request was 'more common than you might think' although it actually isn't surprising to diagnosed Celiacs, we are hearing that 1 in 150 North Americans are carriers - I think, as agents, you will be hearing more about it. From all the research I've had to do recently, I could go on and on about it! Thank you so much for your responses.

We just returned from an RCCL cruise during which we were half on, half off the diet (having just been diagnosed), however there should be no half measures. They could provide gluten free bread in the dining room but not in the Windjammer cafe. The wait staff in the dining room could point to gluten free menu selections and, once they were aware, the head waiter would review the following evening's menu with me to see what would be suitable and could make adjustments in preparation to certain items. The basics like steak, chicken, salmon that were menu standards could always be offered gluten free.

Now that my son is 100% committed to the diet I have to do more due diligence before the trip although we may reconsider the booking given the temptation to cheat with 24 hr pizza!

Best,

Lisa

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, cruises, diet, dietary, diets, dining, free, gluten, handles, line, lines, meals, special, vegan