Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Well I have been reading a few posts about insurance of your cruise trip
I donít know how it works or if itís worth it and like to knowÖ
Also how much $$$ extra it will be or when you can buy it
I am a little new about this case and donít know if I can buy now it any info will be greatÖ
Old 04-22-2007, 12:34 PM

I think you can purchase it immediately after you book your cruise. I'll be cruising in Nov and want to purchase insurance and get it out the way but I want to add my airline and hotel in (which I don't have yet) and was told I could purchase insurance now and add on the air and hotel later.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Yes it is worth it. Policies can cover lots of things. You can pretty much customize a policy to suit your needs. Medical considerations are a big factor for us. If you are injured or have some other medical problem while away on a cruise, it can cost a ton of money to evacuate you back to your home. If a medical evacuation helicopter cost me $10,000 for a 15 mile trip last year, what do you think it would cost to fly you home from some island in the Caribbean?

Policies also cover trip cancellation, trip interruption, lost luggage, etc. Lots of things.

Cost depends on how much money you paid for your cruise - including air, hotels, rental cars, etc. It also can depend on your age. Many policies have caveats against pre-existing conditions, but many also waive those rules if you buy their policy within X number of days of making the booking.

You can buy a policy pretty much anytime after making a booking, but as I said above, to get any pre-existing health problems covered you need to buy a policy within a certain time frame. It is common to see a 7-day grace period although some allow 14 days between booking and buying a policy.

See for yourself! Go to Insure My Trip and you can compare policies and get lots of information.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:41 PM

If purchasing cruise line insurance you can book it immediately even if you're not sailing for a long time. You need to purchase any insurance prior to the penalty period beginning. With the cruise line it's the only time you can, with outside providers it's the only way to be covered for pre-existing conditions. If you're booking a cruise already in penalty you need to buy it at the time you book.

If you purchase outside insurance (better coverage in most cases and usually lower cost) don't buy it until you near the penalty period. If you need to cancel your cruise outside of penalty there is no need for insurance. If you buy it early and then cancel, the cruise line doesn't have a penalty but most insurance is non-refundable so you've lost the cost of the insurance for no reason.

Be careful of booking with agencies that charge cancellation fees for cancellations outside of penalty. The cruise line does not but some agencies do.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-22-2007, 04:33 PM

Casanova,
I was on your same shoes just a few weeks ago. I thought that travel insurance was a way for the travel agency to tack on a few more bucks for something they should ethically do (return your money if you are not able to go on your vacation). I say ethically for lack of words. I don't see many people cancelling their vacation which they have planned months ahead of time for something small. It usually is due to a death or illness and in these cases the travel company should have some compassion.
Dave gave you a great website that will help you make your decision. You can also call the number on the website and someone will be glad to assist youin understanding all the different types of insurances offered. AIG travel guard had three or four different. I found the lady who assisted me very helpfull and had a very soothing voice. She never gave me the impression that I was asking too many questions. Instead, she made me feel that she had all day to make sure I understood everything I needed.
Needless to say, I had cruise four times without insurance. I don't think I will be doing that again thanks to the people on this forum.
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Sovereign of the Seas 2/08
Enchantment of the Seas 4/08
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If you purchase outside insurance (better coverage in most cases and usually lower cost) don't buy it until you near the penalty period. If you need to cancel your cruise outside of penalty there is no need for insurance. If you buy it early and then cancel, the cruise line doesn't have a penalty but most insurance is non-refundable so you've lost the cost of the insurance for no reason.
Neil alluded to this in the paragraph above this one, but I want to clarify -- if you need protection for cancellation due to pre-existing conditions, purchase insurance as soon as possible, typically within 7 days of initial deposit. Note that the pre-existing condition exclusion is also applicable to family members not traveling with you.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:01 PM
After reading all the post in this forum I went to the insure my trip and bought the AIG insurance. Of course I am planning on going, but booking this far out anything can happen plus when it is time to go in late February can I make the connections with air/ship so I feel for $140.00 a whole lot better. Included is lost baggage and medical which could happen. I have invested to much money to gamble on everything just going perfect. My luck alone is a reason to get it.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 04-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Casanova-Many TA's will add no charge travel insurance to CCL cruises. This is particularly common if you are booking for yourself thru an online TA. The online agencies also offer 800 numbers that are very effective if you wish to speak with an online TA directly.

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM

I am new at this site and find it quite interesting. I wish I knew about this before we started cruising 7 years ago. I just had an experience with Travel Guard Insurance Company. We were suppose to fly from JFK in NY non stop to Rome for our first Mediterrean Cruise on Carnival Freedom. Unfortunately we were flying out the night before our cruise and was suppose to land in Rome 11:20am the day of the cruise. Unfortunately the truck that loads the cargo onto our airplane hit the door of the plane. Needless to say our flight was cancelled. I called Carnival from the airport and got a very nice woman on the telephone and explained what had happened. When other passengers heard I was on the phone with Carnival, they were giving me their booking numbers also. Carnival was well aware that there was a lot of people missing the ship in Rome. Come to find out there was 58 of us that were suppose to go on Carnival Freedom. Alitala put us up in the Ramada Inn over night. The next day we all went back to the airport to see what was going on. Around 4pm they said 40 of us were being bused to Newark, N.J. airport to fly to Paris on Air France we had to switch planes and go to Naples. The other 18 people flew on other airlines and met us in Paris go get aboard the plane to Naples.
We all missed Rome, and the excursions that were booked in Naples because we didn't board the ship until 2:30pm - 3:00pm the next day. As if that wasn't bad enough, Carnival didn't have any transportation for us to get to the ship even though they were notified that there was a lot of us on that flight. IT cost us 50 Euro's to get to the ship from the airport.
Now lets get back to Travel Guard. They said because the truck hit the airplane we won't be covered, but I have to get a letter from Alitalia explaining why the trip was cancelled. Alitalia wants the boarding passes and alot of other information to put in a complaint letter. We also had travel guard assistance on our policy, in which I didn't know what it was at the time. I had called Travel Guard to let them know the situation and she didn't assist me in anyway. I hope this helps.
Sorry to taking up so much time, but I want people to know what to expect. Also Travel Guard said that with the insurance you have to pay for everything and put in a claim for the money to be returned to you. So make sure you find out all the in's and out's. Good Luck.
Sandy p
Past Cruises:
Carnival-Freedom, Fascination, Triumph, Glory 2 times, the 3rd time this Sept, 2007, Victory
Royal Caribbean-Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas
Holland America-MS Zaandam, MS Zuiderdam
Costa-Atlantica 2 times, Magica
Princess Sun
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 AM

..just a word of caution even if you have no other cover - for heavens sake do not leave home without a medical cover including Medivac from a ship!!!

Due to liability reasons every ships doctor is going to get you off his ship as soon as possible if you have anything more serious than a minor cut. Medivac in the caribbean currently costs anything between 15 - 25.000,- USD.

The Carnival Conquest however does not have a Helipad so they have to divert a whole ship and guess what - YOU pay for the additional fuel - oh and she uses 70 Gallons a mile!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
air, biooking, carnival, cost, cruise, flight, forums, guard, including, insurance, issues, offering, review, travel, trip