Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 11:59 AM

Hi everyone! My wife and I just got back from the Ecstasy out of Galveston for a 5 day to Progreso and Cozumel. I thought I could give a quick overview for anyone interested.

Day 1 - Arrived at EZCruise Parking at 11:05 A.M. and they were waiting to load a bus and we were loaded within 10 minutes and off to the ship. Immediately got in the check in line with only about 15 people in front of us and about 200 or so had already checked in and were seated before embarkation. Within about 10 minutes we were in line to get our embarkation photo taken and we were on the Lido deck having lunch by 12:10 P.M. Embarkation was a breeze. We went to our stateroom U85(perfectly made and clean as a whistle) around 1:30 and started unpacking, met our wonderful steward, Eko, and got settled in. We set sail around 4:05 P.M. and the weather was cool but clear. Dinner was great for the 6:00 P.M. seating and we met some very nice people. The review show was great to get us excited, and oh, that Tina, our cruise director, was she a hoot!

Day 2 - Had a great breakfast in the main dining room and started off the day meeting some nice people from all over. We enjoyed the day by the pool and just relaxing. Ate a sandwich and salad for lunch on the Lido deck and just relaxed. Then, the Captain came over the loud speaker and told us we were heading North/NorthEast (?? not the way to Mexico??) because there would be an emergency medical evacuation. After several hours, everything came to a screeching hault as the Coast Guard helicopter came and hovered to make the evac. They did a superb job making the helo drop evac very safe...we all cheered and clapped! Ok, turn this baby around and go for Mexico!! This was meet the Captain and formal night, so we dressed up (Long gown and dark suit) and had an enjoyable time before dinner. Wife had the lobster and shrimp and I had the prime rib, and both were very good. The show was fabulous and those dancers and singers were great! No midnight buffet for us - we were tired and figured it looked like the last time.

Day 3 - Arrived at Progreso an hour late due to the medical evac., so the Captain gave us an extra hour in port. Got off the ship about 8:50 and we were off to our excursion to see the Dzibilchaltun Ruins by 9:15. About 30 minutes on the air conditioned bus, and we were there. We stayed nearly 3 1/2 hours and headed back. The tour guides were very knowledgeble and we had a great time. Bought a few things and back to the ship for hamburgers...and a rest! Went to the Past Guest party and then off to Dinner in the main dining room again. Had another great meal! And dessert! The passsenger talent show was held, and we had five performers who all did an outstanding job - they were all very talented and we were glad they shared with us. Mexican buffet started at 11:00 P.M., but who could eat another bite! Off to bed for us.

Day 4 - Arrived at Cozumel around 8:00. Had breakfast in the main dining room and let all the excursion people get off ship before we tried. Went down about 9:30 and got right off with no wait and caught a taxi to Paradise Beach. Had been there before and found it as nice and clean and fun as the first time. Great food, clean restrooms, clean beach, and fun time. Got the $10 wristband for all the water toys and snorkel gear and snorkeled a little bit. Not any reefs, but plenty of fish to see. Caught the taxi back to the ship and got cleaned up and rested before dinner. Another great meal and great dessert. The Extreme Country show was great! Glad we didn't miss this one.

Day 5 - Fun day at sea - had a relaxing day, and I tried to do all I could while my wife had a long nap. The galley tour was great and I enjoyed it. We ate in the main dining room for lunch and the fish and chips were outstanding. Just hung out by the pool and relaxed while walking around the ship. We started that dreaded packing chore. We had a lady comedian on the last night and she was a hoot - a large lady and joked about her size. Off to the China Town bar for some good music. Stayed about an hour and off to bed.

Day 6 - that dreaded day of debarkation. After a nice and relaxing breakfast in the main dining room, we went back to our room and finished packing so we could clear the room. We knew Eko had some work to do to get ready for the next cruisers, so we wanted to allow him plenty of time. We waited in the Blue Sapphire Theater for about 50 minutes and they started calling our debarkation numbers. We were in group 7 and had our luggage and standing in that long line by 9:25. This is where the fun began. Nothing to do with Carnival at all, but those Customs Agents were soooooo slow. I think some of them were in training. Our line hardly moved while other lines were going very fast. We finally got to our agent after nearly and hour and half in line, and we finally got back to our car at EZCruise parking around 11:30. Debarkation takes patience, especially when it is so slow due to the Customs Agents.

Well, we had a great cruise, and this is just the highlights, of course. I will be glad to answer any specific questions and hope everyone on the Ecstasy has a great time!

Rodney & Jan
Old 05-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Welcome home, sounds like it was an excellent cruise. It seems like it takes forever to get here, and you blink it's over. Hope you have booked another, it helps ease the pain of debarkation. I just returned from the Caribbean Princess. I was off of the ship and at the airport before 9am. I couldn't believe it. I booked a 2pm flight because getting out of Port Everglades is usually a nightmare. I truly feel your pain with the Custom Agents. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share. I can feel the gentle waves and smell the ocean breeze!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I see that you guys went to Paradise Beach. We are thinking of going there for our cruie in 12 days!!!! Other than the 10.00 band for the water toys do you have to pay any other fees? I read that you have to at least order 10.00 worth of food or drink per person to use the beach. That would make it 30.00 for us then another 30.00 for the water toys. Total of 60.00 for the day, plus whatever the taxi cost. Can you tell me if that's true.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:27 PM

Welcome back Rodney! Sounds like you had a great cruise. They do seem to go really fast. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Dwayne
Old 05-05-2008, 02:25 PM

MACLEODC,

Since there is no admission fee to use the free umbrellas and beach chairs, they suggest that you order some food or drink to allow for that. There is a great menu with American and Mexican food items, and since it is so hot, I think you will want something to drink. Just google on Paradise Beach Cozumel and you can see for yourself what a beautiful place this is. And, you can view the current menu . I had the great Cozumel fish sandwich (grilled Mahi-Mahi..ooh, so good! and wife had steak quesadilas). I think you will really enjoy Paradise and at least have a strawberry smoothie. The taxi was $13 for 2 from downtown, and we shared a cab with 4 others for $28.....gave $2 tip, so it was a good ride. Hollar at me if you more questions! And, have a great trip!

Rodney
Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM

I was there last October and had the nachos (really good).

Here is a link to the site.

Dwayne
Old 05-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MACLEODC:
I see that you guys went to Paradise Beach. We are thinking of going there for our cruie in 12 days!!!! Other than the 10.00 band for the water toys do you have to pay any other fees? I read that you have to at least order 10.00 worth of food or drink per person to use the beach. That would make it 30.00 for us then another 30.00 for the water toys. Total of 60.00 for the day, plus whatever the taxi cost. Can you tell me if that's true.
We are headed out on the Legend Sunday and will be at Paradise Beach (for the umpteenth time) in just a few days. Can't wait.

Below is a "recap" of Paradise Beach info...
hope it helps.

Paradise Beach is where we go when we have the boys with us.

Lounge Chairs, tables, umbrellas, clean restrooms and internet at the bar are all FREE. All they ask is that you eat/drink while you are there.

They also offer an optional wristband for $10 for all day usage of the non-motorized water and land toys. These include 2 water trampolines, 1 iceberg, kayaks, snorkeling, floats (individual and multi people). Land toys are a bungie trampoline and climbing coconut trees. Life vests are also included, but you will have to place a deposit which will be fully refunded at the time you return them.

Lockers are available for rent. The last time I was there I think they were $4.

The boys always get the wristbands, hubby and I do not.

There are also all kinds of independent vendors if you want a massage on the beach or hair braiding, parasailing and jet skis. We have never been bothered by over aggressive vendors while we were there. We were there 5 times in a 12 month period last year.

The last time we were there this past December, regular frozen margaritas were $7.00 and cheese nachoes were $7.00. Bottled water was a couple of bucks.

Tom is the manager. He is from Canada and is a hoot!

Taxis to both locations will run you anywhere from $12 - 15 one way for a taxi of up to 4 people. There are more taxis than sand in Cozumel so don't worry about getting a ride back to the ship.

Enjoy your cruise and your stay in Cozumel!!
Old 05-08-2008, 01:17 AM

Hope you have another great cruise LHP!

If you see Tom, and don't mind, ask him about wireless internet connections. Someone had asked about it on the forum. (though I don't know why someone would take a laptop there) I missed him last time because he was on vacation, and didn't want to bother him with an email.

Sing a Buffett song for me, and Bon Voyage.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, carnival, ecstacy, escstacy, frozen, margarita, minutes, ncl, port, progreso, star, trampoline, u85, water