Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 10:40 AM

Hello,

I am thinking about going on a cruise with my husband. This would be our first time on a cruise. We are thinking about a 3 to 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. We are planning to sail in May 07, but I am not sure which ship to sail on. I am leaning towards the Carnival Elation because I really want to go to Nassau and Half Moon Cay, but I also see that The Royal Caribbean, Sovereign of the Seas, has a similar cruise but there island is Cococay.

I wanted to know if someone can give me their opinion and compare the two ships. We are in our 30ís and I really want to see blue water and relax on the beach. If anyone has been to Half Moon Cay and Cococay and can tell me which one is nicer.

I am also debating whether to go with the interior or oceanview room. If we do, it will probably be the rivera deck or upper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:56 AM

Welcome to cruise-chat and to cruising! You will have an enjoyable cruise on either ship, but choose the 4-day itinerary. 3 days simply is not enough time to enjoy the ship, especially on your first cruise. Both ships will be awesome to you. Elation is 10 years newer, they are both approx the same size, with SOS holding approx 250 more passengers. Cabins are larger on Elation, But Sovereign has a nicer pool deck layout in my opinion, although Elation does have a waterslide. Trade-offs abound! You will have a similar experience at Coco Cay and Half Moon Cay. All things considered, go with the best price and have a great cruise!

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 01-24-2007, 06:41 PM

I've been on both ships as well, and agree with tncruiseman's response. You will have a lot of fun on either ship, and both private islands are nice. Definitely take his advice on the 4 day, 3 days won't be nearly enough (and you might think the same about a 4 day once you're hooked!) The only thing that makes me choose Carnival again & again is the price. They have such great deals if you just keep an eye out for them!
Elation, CCL 9-24-06
Carnival Victory, CCL 1-28-07
Sovereign of the Seas, Royal Caribbean, 9-24-07
Old 01-25-2007, 09:19 PM

we went on the SOS nov. 05 and had a great time cococay was very relaxing blue water and sunshine and a good BBQ we very much enjoyed it and are looking forward to it and this coming nov.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:51 AM

we cannot say enough about our cruise on the elation,everything was great, half moon cay was a beutiful island the lunch was wonderful and the water was so crystal clear, we loved this island it was wonderful. you will really enjoy the island and the ship.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:54 AM

As far as price - We just booked a 4 day to Nassau with RC at the same price as Carnival is advertising for the same trip. Now Sovereign is older but other than that there is not much of a difference.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 02-15-2007, 02:14 PM

Hi bfwdesigns !
I was in this same dilemma while deciding on our cruise and we decided on the Elation with Carnival. There were a few deciding factors:
1. We cruised with Carnival before and thought everything was organized and fantastic - from the shows to the food to the crew members !
2. You may not have kids but the kids club was awesome!
3. When reading the discussion boards and reviews about the Elation and looking at some pics, she looks sooooooo gorgeous and I must see her !
4. (This was the main reason) I had read on some discussion boards and reviews that Cococay seemed to have alot of jelly fish in the water and I hadn't read that about Half Moon Cay PLUS when I looked at pics of Half Moon Cay on webshots, I simply fell in love.

Don't go by my word because all I can atest to by actual experience is that Carnival is great ! Other than that, it is strictly what I have read.

Hope you decide to cruise whichever ship and cruiseline you choose because cruising is just uncomparable to any other type of vacation, believe me, I have been in the travel industry for 20 years.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carniva, carnival, cay, ccl, cococay, cruise, difference, elation, elations, half, imagination, moon, royal, seas, sovereign