Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Banned

AS it stands now....it looks like Carnival is going to have to bus some folks to Mobile to get on the Fantasy.

The River is still closed.

Carnival is asking that everyone come to New Orleans AS PLANNED....because this is where the cruise will be coming back to.

Carnival will arrange for complimentary buses to take everyone to Mobile (if necessary).

Fingers crossed that by some miracle the River will be opened today.

But Carnival has plans in place just in case.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:36 AM

Thanks, LHP. They haven't released another official update yet.

Dwayne
Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 AM

I guess the old reasoning that they have always provided on larger ships that the turning basin wouldn't accommodate a Fantasy size ship are not accurate. Looks like Mobile will handle a larger vessel even in current configuration. Glad they found a solution. What a shame about the spill, I hope New Orleans again fully recovers from another tragedy. That poor city has had it's share.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned

From the Carnival website:

Carnival Fantasy July 21 and July 26 Departures
It appears that the Mississippi River will remain closed to all ship traffic due to a recent accident and oil spill. We will now divert the Carnival Fantasy to Mobile, Alabama when it returns from the current cruise (July 21, 2008 departure).
Guests debarking the ship on July 26 will be provided motorcoach transportation from Mobile to the New Orleans cruise terminal.
Guests scheduled to embark on July 26 should proceed to the cruise terminal in New Orleans as planned. Motorcoach transportation will be provided from the New Orleans cruise terminal to the cruise terminal Mobile.
Unless being dropped off, it is very important that guests do not drive to Mobile to join the cruise. At the end of the cruise, the ship is expected to return to New Orleans.
We sincerely apologize to all of our guests that are impacted by this situation. The entire Carnival team will do everything possible to minimize this inconvenience.
http://www.carnival.com/Images/spacer.gif

This was posted about 9:30am...HOWEVER, I just read on line that the River is partially reopen.

Some 200 ships waiting to make their run....

I wonder how this will affect Carnival?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
I guess the old reasoning that they have always provided on larger ships that the turning basin wouldn't accommodate a Fantasy size ship are not accurate. Looks like Mobile will handle a larger vessel even in current configuration. Glad they found a solution. What a shame about the spill, I hope New Orleans again fully recovers from another tragedy. That poor city has had it's share.

Cheers, Neil
I just hope this does not deter Carnival from adding a second ship to New Orleans.

You know Carnival has not to be getting tired of barges and their mishaps (ie the barge that hit the Fantasy)
Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

I wonder if a plan was put in effect to not turn the ship around but back it down into the bay with tugs and then turn around?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I wonder if a plan was put in effect to not turn the ship around but back it down into the bay with tugs and then turn around?
This will be good practice for when a Fantasy class ship (Sensation) comes to Mobile permanently!!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
This will be good practice for when a Fantasy class ship (Sensation) comes to Mobile permanently!!
Are you spreading rumors again?

I feel bad for all the people on the river about this. The cruise passengers I feel for too for this inconvenience.

It will be interesting to see if the Fantasy can turn or not, or if it will be tugged, as Dave mentioned. It certainly doesn't have Azipods to back herself out. I guess we will find out today.

Dwayne
Old 07-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

Wouldn't you know it....a co-worker that hubby talked into sailing on her first cruise...is on this cruise.

They are from Little Rock and hubby tried to get in touch with them all day yesterday...but she did not have her company cell phone on...since they were driving down.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
quote:
Are you spreading rumors again?

I feel bad for all the people on the river about this. The cruise passengers I feel for too for this inconvenience.

It will be interesting to see if the Fantasy can turn or not, or if it will be tugged, as Dave mentioned. It certainly doesn't have Azipods to back herself out. I guess we will find out today.

Dwayne

ME...spread RUMORS...surely you jest!!!

Closed Thread