Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 07:15 AM

My fam and I are booking a cruise this summer. We are driving from new york to sightsee along the way. I can't wait. My question is...which ship? The holiday gets a bad rap but that doesn't scare us away because just as many have awesome things to say. I just wanted to see what the "experts" had to say. Thanks.

Free Cruise Tickers

Free Cruise Tickers

Past Cruises-Ladies only Majesty of the seas- (2002)
Whole dam fam- NCL Spirit (2007)
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 AM

well I am no expert but have cruised on the holiday 3 times. I LOVE IT. the ship is older (they tell me) but I had not problem with the character of the ship. As far as food, entertainment, friendlyness, great service it was great. We would take her again anytime but this yr we just want to see other ports. I think you will enjoy her.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator

The Holiday gets a bad rap? Not around here! I'll be taking the Holiday for the fourth time this coming July and have enjoyed the ship every time. It is the oldest ship in the Carnival fleet and is considered quaint in these days of mega-ships with all sorts of gimmicks to wow the passengers. But the Holiday is easy to get around on and has a reputation for outstanding service and good food.

The Fantasy does have more public areas, bars, etc., and is also a fine ship and crew.

You really can't go wrong with either one, although the port of Mobile is much easier to access and is more organized and efficient than the port of New Orleans.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:36 PM

I will be sailing on the Holiday next week. I will post a short review and some pics. Maybe that will help.
I have sailed on the Celebration, which is the Holiday's sister ship. I loved it!!!
I'm sure you will have fun with either choice.
Holiday May 2009
Fantasy Feb. 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Administrator

I just booked the Fantasy for October 13th. Since I'll be on the Holiday in July this will give me a good comparison for both ships since the time between them is short.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Banned

We have sailed both in the last 6 months and I would say go with the Fantasy for several reasons:

1. It is a larger ship and it still has the deli (with those wonderful grilled reubens).

2. If you have never been to New Orleans, it is a place you need to visit. I am not knocking Mobile ( I lived there as a child on the East Fowl River next to Bellingrath) but New Orleans is more unique. Plus you get the experience of cruising down the Mississippi River (at least for 8 hours and some of that is during daylight).

3. Holiday is experiencing the brown water problem (rust) and does have a shimmy. She is also had some problems with her stabilizer in the past few months.

We have sailed both ships MANY times in past years and while I did have a good time on the Holiday....there is a reason she is about to be retired.

I just believe the Fantasy will give you a better cruise for your money. IMHO
Old 02-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
while I did have a good time on the Holiday....there is a reason she is about to be retired.
Heard something?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
while I did have a good time on the Holiday....there is a reason she is about to be retired.
Heard something?

Oh no...just the same ole same ole.

They are trying to get another year out of her, but (IMHO) I just don't see it happening.

The Celebration is suppose to go to Spain first but (again IMHO) they need to send the Holiday first and move the Celebration to Mobile if they aren't ready to move a Fantasy class ship there before March 09.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
they need to send the Holiday first and move the Celebration to Mobile
We were last on the Holiday in March 07 and it was a fine cruise. Everything looked to be in good order. As for the shimmy - it is more a part of the charm of the ship to me and not annoying. As you know we are on the Holiday again this July. I sort of suspected it might be the last time, and figure a Fantasy-class ship will move to Mobile within the next year. I do look forward to that, since that not only provides a newer ship with more "stuff" but also is a boost to the great Mobile cruise port.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
they need to send the Holiday first and move the Celebration to Mobile
We were last on the Holiday in March 07 and it was a fine cruise. Everything looked to be in good order. As for the shimmy - it is more a part of the charm of the ship to me and not annoying. As you know we are on the Holiday again this July. I sort of suspected it might be the last time, and figure a Fantasy-class ship will move to Mobile within the next year. I do look forward to that, since that not only provides a newer ship with more "stuff" but also is a boost to the great Mobile cruise port.

Yes, our cruise on her a couple of months ago was not our best.

But some of that was due to the fact that Cahill had just cut 4 positions on the Holiday and it showed. Lots of confusion about simple matters that should be old hat by now.

Our son's Autism needs (which they have been doing for years) was overlooked and took some doing to get corrected. Steve Cassel, Cruise Director, could have cared less. I know he has been doing it a long time, but perhaps that is part of the problem. He acts like he has been doing it to long. It was the first time I had ever heard passengers complaining about a CD while they were on the cruise.

We almost did not get our Platinum Logo items.
It was literally the morning that we got off the ship that we finally got them.

The karaoke system is shot. Distorts in the middle of a song and continues through the rest of the song. I wanted to tell them to wait 15 minutes and I would go to Best Buy and spend $150.00 to buy them a new player.

Of course, all three of those problems are individual needs and will not affect the average cruiser.

I alway knew about the shimmy...but now they are having problems with the stabilizer and power outages. She gave us a pretty rough ride on seas that were not that bad.

You just hate to see ships like this that have given such wonderful service all these years, not go out on top of their game.

Closed Thread

Tags
jubilee, renames