Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 09:07 PM
With respect I donít want to be rude,
I donít want to write this in order to offend or make some trouble, but I had been reading a lot of reviews and many people write things like for example:

ďWould NEVER sail out of San Juan again... NEVER. Carnival sold 1,900 unsold spots to the locals for $300.00 each.Ē

I really want to know if thatís true. Where do you get that Information or prices?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:20 PM

You can monitor prices on many travel agent websites as well as Carnival's. As for San Juan, although I have never sailed out of there I would love to. The itinerary is wonderful. I have spend a number of nights in San Juan (I fly for a major airlines), and find it a very nice city. Don't know what problems others have had. But keep in mind some people's expectations are never met. I have read reviews where people claim they were unable to find a decent meal in an entire 7 night cruise. I have not found a cruise I haven't loved, and I've been on 11 of them.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

Believe nothing you hear or read and only .01% of what you see.

You will find that there is a lot of BS and 3rd and 4th hand info. Everyone is a expert but most people forget the question.

I have heard that some people from San Jaun actually not only sale for free but get paid. I think they are called employees.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Locals may get to sail for lower prices at times. If you are at the port at ANY city they sail from you can get some really good last minute deals from time to time.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 04-02-2007, 06:21 AM

I know the last time we cruised, a couple wanted to go with all of us and waited until the last minute - thinking they would get a great deal. The ship sold out...they did not get to go. Sometimes listening to those stories (as they did) can be very misleading. I hated that they missed out on a great cruise.
When they found out the rates of the next cruise we are going on in Sept. dropped to $279.00 per person for an inside cabin...THEY BOOKED.
PS - The rates have almost doubled since then.
JMHO - Hope this helps

Read and post cruise reviews

St. Maarten Hotels & Resorts

2003 Carnival Victory - Western
2004 Carnival Celebration
2005 Carnival Glory - Western
2006 Carnival Glory - Eastern
2007 Carnival Liberty - Western
2008 Star Princess - Alaska
Old 04-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Casanova frankenstein:
With respect I donít want to be rude,
I donít want to write this in order to offend or make some trouble, but I had been reading a lot of reviews and many people write things like for example:

ďWould NEVER sail out of San Juan again... NEVER. Carnival sold 1,900 unsold spots to the locals for $300.00 each.Ē

I really want to know if thatís true. Where do you get that Information or prices?
While I'd find it hard to believe a cruise was undersold by 1900 berths, it is quite common to offer unsold space to persons within a certain range of the port. Residents of Florida often can find a good deal for cruises that are not selling well. Same goes for people in Puerto Rico. And you should note that these prices often are only valid for those who are legal residents of the region/state/territory.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

When we sailed out of San Juan years ago, it was more of an International crowd. Our tablesmates spoke very little English and we spoke no Spanish so that kinda put a crimp in dinner time conversation. They did not show up after the first night because (it turns out) they were at the wrong table. We ended up with a table for 8 to ourselves (4 of us)...which was fine.

I believe most of the complaints were from specific cruises with valid complaints. I would not say 1,900 berths but one cruise specifically did have a large number of "locals" who (unfortunately ~and hopefully not representative of the general population) were rude, loud and obnoxious.

Hopefully, this is the exception rather than the rule...but it is an exception that Carnival needs to acknowledge and address as much as it can.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator

On the Triumph in 2003 we also had a language problem at our table. One couple and their child spoke no English, and on the first night the husband - apparently a new cruiser - didn't understand the concept of shared tables. He was a bit agitated. The other people at our table were bilingual and talked to the man trying to explain things. The agitated man and his family never returned on the subsequent nights, but we did have a fine time with the other people.

I do recall something in the news about a Carnival cruise with lots of rude hispanics aboard - I guess this is what it being referred to? Wasn't it a couple years ago? I believe it was out of San Juan.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:13 PM

I have family that lives in Florida. Specifically where do they look for those great last minute deals everyone talks about? You know, the type where the locals paid $200 - $300 for a 7 day Caribbean cruise. It would be so helpful to know. Thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 PM

Joyce..the best answer is for them to take a trip to the pier and check with the various check-in desks for the ships that are soon to depart. I doubt seriously you would have any luck just calling for reservations over the phone. If they aren't able to try this last-minute approach, they should find a travel agent that specializes in last-minute cruise promotions.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination