Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2003, 06:29 PM

My wife and I were married on Saturday and are taking our honeymoon on the Carnival Pride this Sunday to Mexico... It is our first cruise and we're really excited.

Can someone describe the embarkation process? What time should we show up, what types of things do we need to do before we board, etc.? Any info about how to maximize the cruise is appreciated.

Also, is there anyway to know our cabin assignment before we get there? We have a guaranteed class and reserved in July. We're hoping for an upgrade.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2003, 06:29 PM

My wife and I were married on Saturday and are taking our honeymoon on the Carnival Pride this Sunday to Mexico... It is our first cruise and we're really excited.

Can someone describe the embarkation process? What time should we show up, what types of things do we need to do before we board, etc.? Any info about how to maximize the cruise is appreciated.

Also, is there anyway to know our cabin assignment before we get there? We have a guaranteed class and reserved in July. We're hoping for an upgrade.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:22 AM

Congratulations! Your first cruise and your new marriage -- hope they both are terrific!!!

The embarkation process can be a little tedious, but be patient it is worth it. Show up as early as your paperwork says to -- provided you don't mind standing in long lines. Me -- I'd rather be at the front of the long line that at the end so I show up real early. Be sure to fill everything out they send you ahead of time and be sure to look at both sides of the paperwork. BE SURE TO HAVE A PASSPORT OR Certified copy BIRTH CERTIFICATE even if you are both US Citizens!!

Your travel agent may be able to contact the cruise line and get your cabin assignment, but if not don't be disappointed if you don't get an upgrade. Depending on how full the ship is it may just not be available. If you HATE the location of your cabin (e.g. next door to the laundry) they might be able to move you if the ship isn't full. But except for your private rock n roll parties, you won't be in your cabins much and when you are you won't really be noticing the furniture will you??

Buy the photos -- at least the embarkation and one formal night -- you will be glad you did even if the price feels like a con.

My advice -- controversial as it may be - is do the ships' shore excursions, unless you are REALLY confident and experienced travellers AND speak Spanish. The ship's excursions cost more, but here's the MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW -- if you are on a SHIP-sponsored shore excursion **THE BOAT WILL WAIT FOR YOU ***** -- if you aren't and you breakdown, get lost, or whatever -- it won't!!! No lie, it happens almost every cruise somebody gets left behind because they didn't get back when they were supposed to!!

Have a great time!

luv2cruz
Old 12-04-2003, 07:14 AM

For easier embarkation make sure all your paperwork is filled out in advance. If your ship documents say the ship boards at 1:00 or 2:00 pm the reality is they will start letting people in between 11:30 and noon so you can get there early. The line will start moving around 11:00 but you actually won't board the ship until closer to noon.

When you board the ship and get to your room READ THE DAILY PAPER. This will have all the times and places that things are going on, especially the lifeboat drill the first day. Read this paper every day for the specials and the events on the ship as well as dress code for dinner.

Most important do NOT try to do everything, you will wear yourself out. Focus on a couple things you really want to do and enjoy them.

Its your vacation kick back relax and let the crew take care of you. Congratulations on your wedding.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:56 AM

One thing I suggest that you do is pack a carry-on suitcase that would included your toiletries, pool attire (swimsuit, cover-up, sandals, sun screen, etc.) and enough clothes to enjoy your first evening. The first evening is always casual, so this would just be anything other than what you wear to board the ship that you would want to wear to dinner and the show.

It is not uncommon for luggage to take hours to get to your cabin and by having all the stuff you need to start enjoying the cruise the second you board; you will maximize the first day's experience.

Board early, eat early and hit the pool and Jacuzzi and you can watch the hundreds of folks that wonder by wishing they had their bathing suits as well.

Tom

Closed Thread