Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Well the only trick I can tell you about Latin music is to dance with your heart and you will never have two left feet…
Any ways enjoy your trip at “the adventure of the seas” either way you will have a great experience on it and if one day you decide for the destiny remember
Who can get mad at a cruise??
And for the fall I can only tell you this,
Maybe one day will dance the night away “Latin style” LOL
Until then Neil, Enjoy your cruise man…
Old 04-28-2007, 07:38 PM

Oh wait, nevermind I see the date on your cruise ticker.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:44 PM
yeah I know everyone sees it but me..lol Isn't August hurricane season? Our flights are $441.00 pp so far, still looking for deals.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 04-29-2007, 05:35 AM

Yeah...hurricanes is another thing I am worried about too . But I have only 2 weeks vacation which is in August so that's the only time I can go!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:49 AM
Banned

We have not sailed on the Destiny, but we have sailed out of San Juan. I believe the uncomfortable complaints are coming more from the fact that it will probably be the most "international" cruise you will ever be on.

We had a wonderful time. But it was definately a different feel. Little things like our tablemates not speaking English was odd.

Each cruise is different, but I believe the main complaint is that if the ship does not fill up, Carnival deeply discounts the cabins to locals who may (or may not) have the same culture we are used to. That is where the complaints of rude, over the top loud, aggressive behavior has come from. How much of that is accurate and how much is just because it may be a different culture than folks are used to is hard to pin point. I was raised around Cajuns, so these folks were tame in comparison.

I would suggest that if you want to sail on the Destiny that you do it when San Juan schools are in session.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 AM
LHP that is good advice. Thanks. I really am looking forward to the International feel of the cruise. I have no problem with that, but probably will with bad manners and that goes for any culture. I get along with everyone and should have no problems but have been known not to cower in a corner either and let people run over me. My Spanish is enough to get by and will probably be a whole lot better after 7 days...KJ August the kids will be out of school and hurricane season and a ship full of non English speaking...boy you are gonna have your hands full. I have heard though that the ships now have such good information on hurricanes that they re-route their course to stay away from them so the worst you will have a whole new itinerary.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 AM

I have never had a bad cruise. Some better than others etc. If I had to rank them Destiny from SJ would be on the bottom of the list.

But the question was any good experiences.

They did hold the ship for a group of 6 of us that missed our flights for various reasons. They let us on the deck with the watermelons getting loaded.

The excursion desk was good. The ship did not sink. Those are all good things
Old 04-29-2007, 11:25 AM

I was on Destiny for Labor Day 2003 out of SanJuan and was one of the best cruises I have been on, primarily due to the itinerary at the time..StThomas,StMaarten,Barbados,Aruba,Martinique . Sailing out of San Juan definitely gives you more southern carib port choices. With that said, if you are going for "the ship" go with Glory. If you're going for the itinerary, go Destiny. You'll have a great time on either one.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah...hurricanes is another thing I am worried about too .
Baby Doll is right about the weather equipment onboard. They have both radar and sonar equipment and track stoms from the ship. You'll never hear of a cruise ship being afected directly by a huricane as long as it doesn't have mechanical problems. Ther ships can cruise at approx twice the speed a huricane moves acroos the water. The only danger to your trip from these storms is the posibility of the port of departure being affected and having them cancel your trip.

A good tip on that is buy outside travel insurance. If the cruise line cancels your vacation due to a storm they tipically give you a future cruise credit in the amount of the trip cancelled. By having the outside insurance, you get reimbursed for the cancelled cruise. You now have your money and a free trip!

I book a cruise every year in September, the most active month historically for huricanes (and typically the lowest cost month of the year for cruise pricing). I've never had one cancelled but am prepared if they do.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 PM

O.K. I have read the entire thread and want to comment on several things. . .

Hurricanes. Typically, September/October is prime time for Hurricanes. However, the islands that are visited on a Southern Caribbean itinerary are too far south to be affected by most hurricanes because the Hurricanes form further north. In other words, the Southern Caribbean itinerary is your best best for Sept/Oct.

The passengers. I cruised the Destiny October 2006 and the ship was 4 to 1 with 4 being spanish speaking (some bilingual, some not). O.K. I am going to say something and please understand this is my most humble and personal opinion and experience.

If I had to generalize about the non-english speaking passengers, I would have to say they were extremely unfriendly and many bordered on hostile. Most of the spanish speaking passengers actually were able to speak English but, when in the presence of a non-spanish speaking person, opted to speak spanish for no other reason then they could. For example, I was at breakfast one morning in the dining room and was placed to sit with two hispanic women. While it was just them and me, they spoke spanish. It was not until the table filled up with english speaking passengers and these women realized by speaking spanish they were excluded from the lively conversation by the rest of us, did they start to speak perfect english. Come to find out, both women were from New York City!!!! Had it just been me at the table with them, they would have continued to speak spanish just to create a sense of division. Something like this happened to just about every non-spanish passenger that I encountered on this cruise.

I do not know or care about the politics of the Island of Puerto Rico but there was a feeling of hostility towards non-spanish speaking passengers that every non-spanish speaking person saw, felt and experienced. They simply seemed angry at us for some unknown reason. However, to be honest, I didn't see the spanish speaking passengers interact much outside of their individual groups either so it may just be a cultural thing that they do not extend outside of their tight little circle. Each group just stayed within their little group. Very un-cruise-like in my opinion.

I did not do the buffet after the embarkation lunch so I can't speak to the behavior that I have read about in the buffet.

Also, every night in the disco, when hip-hop, old school was being played, the dance floor would be jammed. If a group of latinos came in (no matter how small the group) and the music would be immediately and permanently switched to salsa. This happened every night without fail. The lounge never played big band, jazz or easy listening. Every single night in the lounge was salsa music. If a passenger didn't like hip-hop or salsa, they can forget dancing on the Destiny.

The attitudes of the spanish-speaking people on this ship surprised me b/c I am in NYC and know and interact with many latinos. In NYC I have always found them to be some of the warmest, most loving and friendliest people around. However, what I experienced on that cruise was the polar opposite so I just attributed the hostility to be a San Juan thing and not a Latino thing.

It is definitely a "them and us" mentality on this ship.

However, the islands are to die for so I will be back on board the Destiny in Fall 2008. I now know what to expect.

BTW, there were several children on board but school was in session. I guess education is not that important to some.

If you want to see these islands via a cruiseship, take the Destiny. It is much cheaper than RCCL Adventure of the Seas, which has many of the same problems.

For reasons I can probably guess, both cruiselines seem to use ships in need of some TLC for their San Juan cruises.

Why Carnival doesn't have a Southern Cruise from Florida is beyond me. A nice 8 or 9 day for $500 more would be a sure fire hit and could easily visits those same islands. It would sell out months and months in advance. I don't get it. Maybe one day. . .

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)

Closed Thread

Tags
bad, carnival, cruise, destiny, experiences, experiency, good, groups, latin, music, passenger, positive, recent, reviews, rowdy, ship