Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Before posing my question let me say that I used the search feature and found a partial answer to my question, and that topic was closed so I couldn't get a clarification, so I'm asking here.

I purchased the trip insurance from Carnival when I booked my cruise through their web site in early March. I've since realized that that was pretty stupid, and I should have bought outside insurance.

My questions: I'm way past my final payment date... my cruise is in less than a month. Can I cancel the insurance portion of my fee, and still get outside insurance? I know I'd be screwed as far as pre-existing medical conditions are concerned... how would outside insurance minus pre-existing compare to Carnival's insurance? Is it worth switching?

This is my first cruise, and I'm learning as I go.

Thanks!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 AM

Your insurance through Carnival is not refundable. If it were, everyone would buy the insurance and then cancel it right before sailing, when they knew they'd be able to go.

You can still buy outside insurance in addition to Carnival's insurance, but it's probably not worth it at this point. There may be higher coverage amounts, but you're right that you would not be covered for pre-existing medical conditions. And I think we can assume that Carnival will not go out of business between now and a month from now, so the insurance will still be valid!

For the next time, there is better coverage out there, including things like "Cancel for Any Reason" insurance and "Cancel for Work Reasons" insurance, through outside companies. Hopefully, you won't need to make any claims on the insurance at all this time, and you won't have lost anything.

Have a great cruise.

Sandy
Old 04-28-2008, 11:44 AM

Carnival insurance is adequate and far better than not being covered at all. I'd stick with what you have and just shop next time for possibly better coverage and often lower cost in the process. Don't try making changes after penalty. You won't like the choices available or what you'd have to spend to change at this point. As Sandy said, there will be penalties involved.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-28-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. It hadn't even occurred to me that people would cancel the insurance just before cruising... I guess I'm too honest, and I didn't get the insurance in case of changing my mind I'm more concerned about the medical coverage, with trip interruption and lost luggage secondary.

I've been reading the details of Carnival's coverage, and while not as good as others, I guess it'll do for this trip. One more thing to know for the future!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 04-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Another option you may want to try is to see if your credit card offers trip cancellation coverage.

As a Canadian Citizen, I was able to get a $US Master Card and $US Chequing account through one of our major banks (Bank of Montreal). That way I will never again have to worry about the foreign exchange mark up or make mental exchange calculations.

My card offers $5000.00US of trip cancellation insurance, but I pay $60.00US per year for the privilege. The last 2 trips I took, I had to pay almost $300.00CDN for coverage for 3 people.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 PM

Walrus67, The plan is not refundable once inside the cancellation penalty period. As has been noted, it may not be the best, or the least expensive, but it is better than none.

For anyone that purchases the Carnival Vacation Protection Plan, I strongly urge you to take a copy of the plan. Here is a link. (Adobe required)

PC GUY- That is a very good idea for people to check what coverage they may already have with credit cards. That way they can add only the additional coverage they want, and save some money.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
cancel, carnival, coverage, cruise, details, good, imagination, insurance, lines, plan, protection, purchased, question, review, trip